Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Pens

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Gorsik who is a member here texted from Springfield last night and said Spooner was arguably best player on ice for either side. Today he got for star against Manchester. The only thing other than injuries from Ryan Spooner from one helluva NHL player is if himself. It's there for him and I expect him to grab it

That's good to hear.

I saw Providence play once this year, but unfortunately I had my attention focused on Caron and Bourque.

I keep hearing great things about Spooner. Hopefully he gets a real shot now, and hopefully he impresses enough to stick around. Having him ready on an ELC will be helpful next season.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
I think Julien did a good job today. Seguin was the most dangerous B's forward and he got 20 minutes.

Julien put them in a position to succeed but they didn't score. The offense is an issue and that's on the players. Claude can't put the puck in the net for them.

That 20 minutes included his PP time. He actually had 18:09 of even strength time. Crosby had almost 2 minutes more..19:58.

Your best players have to see the ice more often. I'm fine with rolling 4 lines; but in a game like today the bench should of been shortened or at the very least the Bergeron line should of been double shifted the odd time.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Chiarelli needs to be fired...how long is he going to sit on that cap money?
This team needs help and everyone knows it, we don't need any more bargain basement scrubs.

Chia fired? What are you smoking? PC is the best Bruins GM since Milt Schmidt.

redsox7327

Sep 10, 2011
On the whole, the Bruins looked bad against Pittsburgh in two straight games. The Bruins' most recent efforts against Pittsburgh and Montreal are a little unsettling. Not that they lost, but HOW they lost...

As for what to do about it...

The best thing I can think of would be to call Bettman and tell him we no longer want to go on the road on the second half of a back-to-back against Pittsburg. Other than that, nothing.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap: The G M needs to open his eyes up and fix it soon.No crying the blues this trade deadline,Do your G **darn job and get this team in contention.Not like they need to find a 50 goal guy,A lousy few 3rd line guys or one and a d man.

I was watching the hot stove last night and Elliot Friedman was saying that right now because pretty much every team is still in the hunt, the market is dry and if there are deals they are really costing a lot. So until more teams are out of playoff contention, it sounds like there wont be much activity

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Wondering out loud if I'm the only was that was pissed off that in a 2-1 game the bench was not shortened...

I realize it's a short season, but other games I've watched the coach shortens the bench.

If I have one major complaint about Julien it's that....

With the schedule the way it is for the Bruins right now, this doesn't bother me. A back-to-back in mid March against the Penguins is not a must-win. I don't fault Clode in this instance.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think Julien did a good job today. Seguin was the most dangerous B's forward and he got 20 minutes.

Julien put them in a position to succeed but they didn't score. The offense is an issue and that's on the players. Claude can't put the puck in the net for them.

He still only took his usual 20 shifts. He had 21 in Washington by comparison. A game where he was pretty much a compete non-factor.

All the scoring right now is coming from the top-6. I'd like to see Claude lean on those guys for 20-22 minutes a night regularly. I guess it's a tough thing to ask at the point in the schedule though.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
He still only took his usual 20 shifts. He had 21 in Washington by comparison. A game where he was pretty much a compete non-factor.

All the scoring right now is coming from the top-6. I'd like to see Claude lean on those guys for 20-22 minutes a night regularly. I guess it's a tough thing to ask at the point in the schedule though.

I think they will get more ice time at playoff time. Right now he has to be weary about rest. Remember reg season means nothing. Get to the dance healthy and rested. That's what's important

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Wondering out loud if I'm the only was that was pissed off that in a 2-1 game the bench was not shortened...

I realize it's a short season, but other games I've watched the coach shortens the bench.

If I have one major complaint about Julien it's that....

Not sure How Julien could have use a short bench. The minute Krejci got hurt, we were in trouble. Think about it: Krejci out, what do you have? The 3rd line? The Merlot line? Peverly with Horton/Lucic? Julien had very thin options.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I had to bring my youngest to baseball practice and dint get to see the game. My only feel on it comes from these threads. Here's my take on it as by reading there is only one of two possible outcomes.

1- the Bruins played ok. Tuukka gave up a questionable goal. They essentially lost to the better team today.

2- they suck. Trade somebody. Fire Chia. Season essentially over if something not done soon. Don't really know what but dammit something.

Kaoz*

I had to bring my youngest to baseball practice and dint get to see the game. My only feel on it comes from these threads. Here's my take on it as by reading there is only one of two possible outcomes.

1- the Bruins played ok. Tuukka gave up a questionable goal. They essentially lost to the better team today.

2- they suck. Trade somebody. Fire Chia. Season essentially over if something not done soon. Don't really know what but dammit something.

Goal on Tuuka wasn't questionable imo. Redirection caught him moving right while it went left and he did good to make the initial save. More on the D for not clearing the rebound on that one.

They should bring in someone though. Nothing big, just something to help make that third line go. I feel bad for Pevs right now. I'm not a fan of mocking a player through their name but Pandawful seems to be just that.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

About it. We had one line that threatened meaningful offense. Not enough.

panny2727

Oct 12, 2010
well i predicted a smack down and they came out passive, typical of these guys for a regular season game, oh well, next.... hope krejci is ok... too huge to overcome

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Defense played well enough to win. Rask played fine. The second goal wasn't great cuz Rask did get a glove on it and should've been able to coral it, but it had a deflection so I can't fault him entirely for it.

The offense is so hit or miss it's maddening. The frustrating part is that I don't really know what reasonable deals are out there since so many teams are fringe playoff teams.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think Bruins fans are as knowledgeable as any in the US and even ahead of Vancouver, and pockets of Montreal- but we can panic with the best of them

Ottawa came in here missing 8 regulars and not only skated with the Bruins but have continued to win games

The Blues have been rocked by injuries but are hanging in there and been winning again

Pittsburgh as much as I loathe them- no Letang or Malkin- they just win, and without Malkin and Crosby for long stretches there fans werent demanding Shero sell the future for a half assed short term deal

relax folks this aint the SATs- the Bruins by moving Seguin to center and bringing up Spooner or Cunningham or someone else down there can get by. Ottawa called up like TEN guys from that team and took points in a half dozen straight games

I bet you say that to all the fans.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Goal on Tuuka wasn't questionable imo. Redirection caught him moving right while it went left and he did good to make the initial save. More on the D for not clearing the rebound on that one.

They should bring in someone though. Nothing big, just something to help make that third line go. I feel bad for Pevs right now. I'm not a fan of mocking a player through their name but Pandawful seems to be just that.

Thought Tuukka could have made a better play on the initial save. Someone tried to roof it after the rebound, he went down, and didn't give himself any chance after that.

3rd line is FUBAR.

Pandawful is absolutely right on the money. People are talking a/b a Cup run. Well, that line got worse last year by not signing Ryder. Pouliot wasn't enough. Now? Christ, man. He's gotta make a move. We're a 1 line team right now.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Thought Tuukka could have made a better play on the initial save. Someone tried to roof it after the rebound, he went down, and didn't give himself any chance after that.

3rd line is FUBAR.

Pandawful is absolutely right on the money. People are talking a/b a Cup run. Well, that line got worse last year by not signing Ryder. Pouliot wasn't enough. Now? Christ, man. He's gotta make a move. We're a 1 line team right now.

The fact that Pandalfo is skating on this team is insulting to me as a fan. A guy that couldn't keep his job on the Islanders has no business skating with the Bruins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I bet you say that to all the fans.

Boston fans are insanely passionate- I was listening to Dale Arnold this morning driving around and out walking dog and it occured to me these people are into it. They were talking third line and bottom pair defense- the power play set up it was hilarious...no way you get that anywhere else

and just look at this board- that is all you need to know

what US based team has fans like this place on it? Flyers and Rags are very good but overall reading message boards and listening to cities sports talk no comparison

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Definitely #1.

That goal absolutely was questionable! Out of every possible option for reacting to the rebound, I think he picked a little bit of all the worst ones and combined them leading to the goal.

Overall, this game only shows that our 3th line sucks, 4th line is going to be dominated by a 1st line, and we rely on our top 6 too much now. We already knew all this I believe.

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Understand your point, but very clear to me that this is not a SC competing team a-t t-h-i-s t-i-m-e.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad