Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
He's done for the series. If they manage to overcome the losses of Gryz and Chara (Miller too) I will be shocked. This feels like fate kicking the Bruins in the balls.
Agreed. The writing is on the wall, especially with a top six that hasn't shown up. I blame the top two lines for making this a difficult series and putting the Bruins in a position where they'll likely lose.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guys have played with broken jaws before. Don't rule it out. Having an extra day off is huge. Modern medicine!

If his jaw is broken aren't they going to have to wired his mouth shut? He might be able to play with a wired jaw but I can't see him doing it so soon.

I don't know if his jaw is broken or not. I'll say this, a couple years ago I was playing rec hockey and while on the bench a D-man tried making a backhand clear and he got underneath it and it struck another player in the face. I was 5-6 feet from where it happened and had a great view. The puck had minimal velocity, like I said it was just a soft back-hand clear. The player who got hit didn't go down, he did spit out some blood. Looked like nothing really, although he left the game (well it is rec hockey). Anyways sure enough he ended up in the emergency room and sure enough, his jaw was broken, not a clean break but it was broke. The velocity was a heck of a lot less than what Chara got hit with.

They just said on Prime-time Sports he does in fact have a broken jaw.

Friedman just said on air it's not confirmed but that the rumor he heard last night.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
If his jaw is broken aren't they going to have to wired his mouth shut? He might be able to play with a wired jaw but I can't see him doing it so soon.

I don't know if his jaw is broken or not. I'll say this, a couple years ago I was playing rec hockey and while on the bench a D-man tried making a backhand clear and he got underneath it and it struck another player in the face. I was 5-6 feet from where it happened and had a great view. The puck had minimal velocity, like I said it was just a soft back-hand clear. The player who got hit didn't go down, he did spit out some blood. Looked like nothing really, although he left the game (well it is rec hockey). Anyways sure enough he ended up in the emergency room and sure enough, his jaw was broken, not a clean break but it was broke. The velocity was a heck of a lot less than what Chara got hit with.

They just said on Prime-time Sports he does in fact have a broken jaw.

Friedman just said on air it's not confirmed but that the rumor he heard last night.
Apparently they can do a partial wiring that will allow him to breathe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Defensive depth has been our strength, but this does suck. I think we can still beat St. Louis, but it changes the game.

I'm assuming that Kampfer is the next man up. That's a lot of undersized puck-moving defensemen and really only Carlo and maybe Moore as guys with size the inclination to stay in the defensive zone.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Ignore him.

Fauria is an ex Patriot that openly dislikes hockey. He’s not really a “scooper”, but I am assuming that this one is likely true.

There’s enough smoke out there for this to be true. I heard it enough times on NHL Radio to and from work today.

Questions is, how bad is it, and can he deal with it without hurting himself and the team?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
There’s enough smoke out there for this to be true. I heard it enough times on NHL Radio to and from work today.

Questions is, how bad is it, and can he deal with it without hurting himself and the team?

I think Chara will take the position that he will have the rest of the summer to heal up so fix it so he can play now.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
A big part of me thinks he needs to take a seat, especially for game 5. Let the upcoming D get in there and try to figure it out. If they work, and we win...ride it. If not, and he can play, then change course. I just think he's made some gaffes that aren't easily covered up but for the play of Rask. The epitome, to me, is that lacklustre flick of the puck last night right into 2 Blues D-man.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The doctors said he couldn't play last game...he needs to tell them to *** off and get out of my way Thursday. I worry the Bruins will say "if you can't communicate, you can't play."
He needs to play...and all the other Bruins need to respond in kind to such an effort.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
The doctors said he couldn't play last game...he needs to tell them to *** off and get out of my way a Thursday. I worry the Bruins will say "if you can't communicate, you can't play."
He needs to play...and all the other Bruins need to respond in kind to such an effort.
breathing is likely the bigger factor, IMO

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
im-not-a-real-doctor.jpg

And an expert in correctly diagnosing injuries from watching hockey games on TV :laugh:
I'll only believe you if you say you spent the night at a Holiday inn Express

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
A big part of me thinks he needs to take a seat, especially for game 5. Let the upcoming D get in there and try to figure it out. If they work, and we win...ride it. If not, and he can play, then change course. I just think he's made some gaffes that aren't easily covered up but for the play of Rask. The epitome, to me, is that lacklustre flick of the puck last night right into 2 Blues D-man.

If he can’t go...there needs to be a combo of the good results with the crew, minus Z, in Game 4 ECF...and...the emergence of the true Bergeron era, taking over and powering the Bruins to a Cup.

...and...of course...Rask needs to give up 2 or less.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I think Chara will take the position that he will have the rest of the summer to heal up so fix it so he can play now.

Maybe, but if his jaw is even slightly broken, there’s gonna be enough swelling and pain where it’ll be really hard for him to communicate out there. That’s really a big problem especially now with a team like the Blues who are gonna be hard on the forecheck.

He might not have much of a choice here

Reactions: GloveSave1

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Maybe, but if his jaw is even slightly broken, there’s gonna be enough swelling and pain where it’ll be really hard for him to communicate out there. That’s really a big problem especially now with a team like the Blues who are gonna be hard on the forecheck.

He might not have much of a choice here

Sounds gruesome. I hope he doesn’t try to play.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
While i agree that Chara has been a mess with the puck at times and hurt the team, the emotional lift the Bruins will get from having their 42 year old captain wire his freaking jaw into place so he play a hockey game will be unmeasureable.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Do the Blues even have anyone of consequence out with an injury right now? Unfortunately, this may tip the tables. Just brutal.

According to hockey-reference, just Rob Thomas is on the injury list. I don’t know how extensive that list is - it’s not all-encompassing, as it doesn’t include Anders Bjork for the Bruins, but that would be pretty encyclopedic if it did.

Still, I think that goes to one thing that hasn’t been stated too much: For the most part, the Bruins have been very lucky in the injury department this post-season until very recently. I’m guessing the Blues have too. That’s partly why both teams made it - you can bang the depth drum all you want, but it’s always better not to have to use depth in the first place.

As far as the Bruins injuries: Kevan Miller has been a fairly long-term issue, and wasn’t a surprise; we had time to prepare the depth defensemen, and it worked. Wagner getting injured in the last game before the Finals is heartbreaking, but at least we had him for basically three full rounds. Chara had a single game off, and then the Gryz/Chara injuries in the Finals. I don’t think I’m missing anyone else major...

Granted, it feels like “when it rains, it pours” right now, but if you could re-roll the injury dice, would you? Sure, we could get fewer injuries, or even less consequential injuries. But look at what we have: Bergeron, Rask, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta, McAvoy. Add Chara to that list, and then injure TWO of them, and...it wouldn’t look pretty at all.

Note that I’m only talking about full, 100% out-of-the-game injuries - I know there’s a lot of nagging little injuries, like how Pasta didn’t look like himself at the start of the playoffs, or Bergeron seeming a bit off. But overall, I don’t think you can curse the injury gods this year.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad