Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I can't understand why players don't wear mouth guards to protect teeth. I only seen loui Eriksson wear it.

Huh, I thought they were required, but I guess they're not. (Thought experiment: This actually makes sense, because of Marchand's licking habit - no mouth guard = easy access.) I see players playing with their mouth guards all the time during breaks in the action...and I've always noticed Chara's distinctive guard, with something weird and metallic-colored over where his incisors are...
ebb656dcfaf43916bcca646c10c18291.jpg

There's probably insufficient evidence on whether mouth guards help prevent (or mitigate) concussions, but lack of evidence doesn't mean they don't help - it just means it hasn't been studied enough. And they sure as hell prevent Scattered Teeth Syndrome. As long as there are no side effects, I agree...they probably should be worn, but the NHLPA will be against it, wanting "player autonomy". And I can't imagine it's particularly comfortable wearing a mouth guard for the better part of 3 hours.

In terms of concussion prevention, it really, really annoys me that the NHL doesn't have a "no helmet, no puck" rule. NCAA, IIHF, and AHL all have this rule. NCAA even has a whistle for any player's helmet coming off - I'm not sure that's necessary, but helmetless players should go to the bench. The 5 second pseudo-penalty kill that's created by being forced to go to the bench is worth it if you can avoid a concussion.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Huh, I thought they were required, but I guess they're not. (Thought experiment: This actually makes sense, because of Marchand's licking habit - no mouth guard = easy access.) I see players playing with their mouth guards all the time during breaks in the action...and I've always noticed Chara's distinctive guard, with something weird and metallic-colored over where his incisors are...

There's probably insufficient evidence on whether mouth guards help prevent (or mitigate) concussions, but lack of evidence doesn't mean they don't help - it just means it hasn't been studied enough. And they sure as hell prevent Scattered Teeth Syndrome. As long as there are no side effects, I agree...they probably should be worn, but the NHLPA will be against it, wanting "player autonomy". And I can't imagine it's particularly comfortable wearing a mouth guard for the better part of 3 hours.

In terms of concussion prevention, it really, really annoys me that the NHL doesn't have a "no helmet, no puck" rule. NCAA, IIHF, and AHL all have this rule. NCAA even has a whistle for any player's helmet coming off - I'm not sure that's necessary, but helmetless players should go to the bench. The 5 second pseudo-penalty kill that's created by being forced to go to the bench is worth it if you can avoid a concussion.
ASK the old time players, that played in that era, talkaway, helmets were optional then....

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006

Actually, there is a decent amount of evidence that the mouthguards are not really effective in preventing the concussions. (I spent some time reading medical journals on the issue some time ago - mostly they are effective in reducing the chance of concussion from mild hits from below to the chin by acting like a shock absorber.) That said, they are an effective measure for preventing teeth, tongue, and general mouth trauma. I do not expect the full mouthguards like in football - hockey players won't be able to breathe well - but Chara-like version should be a must.

Reactions: talkinaway

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State

Would love to see this implemented, stop play regardless of possession when a helmet comes off like on a goalie

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Would love to see this implemented, stop play regardless of possession when a helmet comes off like on a goalie

Well, I think IIHF/AHL have it right - I don't quite see the need to whistle it down. I mean, maybe if a helmetless player is skating fast to get a quick change, and falls on the ice head first...I'll grant you that a whistle stop would prevent that. But I could see possible abuse of this rule, too - helmets "coming off" at the back end of the ice just before a scoring chance. Or when one team is gassed and needs some recovery time. Maybe players start wearing helmets loosely so that it can easily be popped off - which both encourages cheating AND decreases safety. Plus, ss it is, I barely trust the refs to call the games correctly. Then again, if it works for the college kids, maybe it could work in the pros.

Is it time to rotate key players in and out of the line-up? Allow depth to get some ice time?

I'd say wait until the last two weeks. Our final games are against NYR, FLA, @DET, @CBJ, @MIN, TBL. I'm worried about whatever occult injury Bergeron has. He's not 100%. Granted, 90% Bergy is better than 150% of most hockey players, but if resting 3-4 games can help whatever he's got, please do it. And while I'm not concerned about Rask injury-wise, ideally I'd want his load decreased in that stretch too. Of course, this is assuming nothing crazy happens. I'm fine flip-flopping between 2-3 seeds - Toronto can have Game 7 at home, because if we beat them, I want to beat them in 6 or less.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Mouth guards are worn to protect from concussions, preventing the transfer of energy up/forward to the skull and in turn brain from the lower Jaw swinging upward.
The is no proof that mouth guards prevent concussions, none. Studies have been done and results are simply help with saving teething and minimizing damage of players biting their tongues.

When I coached minor hockey I told my players mouth guards were optional, President of minor hockey said they were compulsory. President showed up to one of my games and told the referee to penalize any player without a mouth guard, referee told him there was no such penalty. Not sure if they have changed the rule but to me it was just a money grab for another piece of equipment that served no purpose.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The organization can say all the great things about Carlo, but I’m going to just consider him injured until i see him take a couple shifts in the post season. Spring has not been kind to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad