Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney addresses signings- All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Debrusk was considered a reach as well... but he turned out a lot better than expectations on draft day.

Senyshyn still has upside due to his physical traits, and he did score 87 goals in 2 OHL seasons, but who knows if/when he can ever make the leap to the NHL level. I'd say give him some time to mature.

I think about the only aspect of GMing that I continue to give Sweeney credit for is his drafting.
66 games isn`t enough to make an assessment??:sarcasm:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Here are the lottery odds from 2018.

1—18.5%
2—13.5%
3—11.5%
4—9.5%
5—8.5%
6—7.5%
7—6.5%
8—6.0%
9—5.0%
10—3.5%
11—3.0%
12—2.5%
13—2.0%
14—1.5%
15—1.0%

So you're saying there is a chance?
(Said with sarcasm) lol

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I don't like the fact that Cehlarik was sent down. Certain moves I don't agree with - Cehlarik being one, Frederic/JFK being the other. I don't like Kuraly as 3rd line center and having Acciari as 4th line center. Bottom 6 doesn't look good IMO

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I don't like the fact that Cehlarik was sent down. Certain moves I don't agree with - Cehlarik being one, Frederic/JFK being the other. I don't like Kuraly as 3rd line center and having Acciari as 4th line center. Bottom 6 doesn't look good IMO

Kind of proves camp means nothing.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I know it completely depends on what's available and how much money/assets we'd have to give up for that player, but I think going into the season with Kuraly as your third line center with all the talk about the 3 rookies is a bad look for Sweeney.

I know that position is fluid but I'm not happy with that decision at this point.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I know it completely depends on what's available and how much money/assets we'd have to give up for that player, but I think going into the season with Kuraly as your third line center with all the talk about the 3 rookies is a bad look for Sweeney.

I know that position is fluid but I'm not happy with that decision at this point.

I like Sweeney, but I agree with this. I had higher hopes for 3C than Kuraly. That said, let's hope the kid surprises us all and makes the most of the opportunity. If they feel he is the best option, I am willing to wait and see. I don't think, if he is not up to the job, that BC will keep him there. He is the anti-Clode in that respect.

Reactions: Strafer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Why is it on Sweeney? Isn't Cassidy the coach of this team? Cassidy makes lineup decisions and Sweeney makes moves based on what Bruce wants to do weigh his line-up. Do you think Sweeney is going to force Cassidy to play someone?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Why is it on Sweeney? Isn't Cassidy the coach of this team? Cassidy makes lineup decisions and Sweeney makes moves based on what Bruce wants to do weigh his line-up. Do you think Sweeney is going to force Cassidy to play someone?

Cassidy plays the players he thinks will win the most games, the fact that Sean Kuraly is the best option at 3C is because Sweeney didn't get Cassidy a better option there.

Who knows? Maybe there wasn't a very attractive UFA possibility so Sweeney decided to just promote the best internal candidate.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Cassidy plays the players he thinks will win the most games, the fact that Sean Kuraly is the best option at 3C is because Sweeney didn't get Cassidy a better option there.

Who knows? Maybe there wasn't a very attractive UFA possibility so Sweeney decided to just promote the best internal candidate.

Or at the end of last season Cassidy and Sweeney spoke and felt going internal (barring a trade) was the best option.

I'm sure the two communicate on what the team needs to get in order to be successful and it not just Sweeney going, "here are some players, figure it out."

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Or at the end of last season Cassidy and Sweeney spoke and felt going internal (barring a trade) was the best option.

I'm sure the two communicate on what the team needs to get in order to be successful and it not just Sweeney going, "here are some players, figure it out."

I'm not sure what the point of your posts are. If you're happy with Kuraly as your 3C then great, I'm just not as bullish on the player as you are it seems. I think his value is best served being a great 4C.

I also don't buy at all that Kuraly was "the best option" in these discussions you brought up. Just seems like Sweeney thought Frederic/JFK/Stud would be ready and that clearly wasn't the case.

Reactions: Estlin

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Sean kuraly is the key to the season. Who would have predicted this ? Unreal . This could be real short season our bottom 6 on paper are blinds squirals finding a nut. Goals will be hard to find from there.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
After all the work over the summer and training camp, this is how the team looks this year:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Donato-Kuraly-Backes
Nordstrom/Bjork-Acciari-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller

Vaakanainen
Krug- injured

Rask
Halak

The offense is still lacking a 3rd line center.
The defense looks a bit better.
Goaltending has improved.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm not sure what the point of your posts are. If you're happy with Kuraly as your 3C then great, I'm just not as bullish on the player as you are it seems. I think his value is best served being a great 4C.

I also don't buy at all that Kuraly was "the best option" in these discussions you brought up. Just seems like Sweeney thought Frederic/JFK/Stud would be ready and that clearly wasn't the case.

My point is you're saying it looks bad on Sweeney and I'm saying he's not the only one making decisions. Cassidy has input on players as well. You don't think Cassidy felt one of those young C's would be ready too? Who knows where players are readiness wise? a GM or coach?

I'm not a huge fan of Kuraly as the #3C, so swing and a miss for you assuming my thoughts on Kuraly.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
My point is you're saying it looks bad on Sweeney and I'm saying he's not the only one making decisions. Cassidy has input on players as well. You don't think Cassidy felt one of those young C's would be ready too? Who knows where players are readiness wise? a GM or coach?

I'm not a huge fan of Kuraly as the #3C, so swing and a miss for you assuming my thoughts on Kuraly.

It looks worse on Sweeney for sure, not sure how that's even remotely debateable. Is Cassidy responsible for drafting? Free ageny? Scouting? No. Sweeney is responsible for player acquisitions and getting the necessary talent for Cassidy. Kuraly as your third line center is a failure imo on opening night.

You sound like Sweeneys mom who doesn't like their little boy getting picked on. Cassidy probably has some say but Sweeney controls player personnel.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Yep. Just think Kuraly is better served as 4C, and none of the young guys making the jump yet is dissapointing. Hopefully Kuraly proves me completely wrong!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It looks worse on Sweeney for sure, not sure how that's even remotely debateable. Is Cassidy responsible for drafting? Free ageny? Scouting? No. Sweeney is responsible for player acquisitions and getting the necessary talent for Cassidy. Kuraly as your third line center is a failure imo on opening night.

You sound like Sweeneys mom who doesn't like their little boy getting picked on. Cassidy probably has some say but Sweeney controls player personnel.

I'm sure going into the season Sweeney/Cassidy (like everyone else) expected one of those guys to be ready. In interviews after the season was over they talked about how they had internal options. Cassidy is the one calling shots on who plays and who doesn't though. You don't think Sweeney isn't talking to the coaches and getting feedback on what they think about specific players? I mean its coaches that are in all the meetings, at all the practices and actually interacting with these players on a daily basis, is it not?

If Cassidy/Sweeney thought one of the 3 young guys were ready, they'd still be here. It was a collective team decision to not have them up here and that's what I'm saying. This isn't 100% on Sweeney, it's not 100% on Cassidy or Neely or Jacobs or whoever people want to try and blame. It was an ORGANIZATIONAL decision.

Lets be honest, if Sweeney went out and acquired a #3C, fans would bitch that they're not giving the kids a chance to play. Why? Well because this fan base just loves to bitch about things.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
After all the work over the summer and training camp, this is how the team looks this year:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Donato-Kuraly-Backes
Nordstrom/Bjork-Acciari-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller

Vaakanainen
Krug- injured

Rask
Halak

The offense is still lacking a 3rd line center.
The defense looks a bit better.
Goaltending has improved.
3rd line center and 2nd line RW are still needed, Donato has proven nothing and in the few preseason games I could watch he was less than impressive, which is what it is which is really meaningless but I wold like to have seen something from him to indicate he got stronger or faster, he is still the teams best prospect to me but I think a year in Providence would be in order which they can't do because Sweeney did nothing worthwhile this off season. Because there is no 3rd line center Acciari is projected to be the 4th line C, which is not good, at best he should be an extra forward.

I have not been impressed with Moore and don't understand the need to move McQuaid to bring him in, if they have so many wonderful D prospects why not just let them develop and use them instead of getting a journeyman defenseman?

Goaltending has improved and I feel better with Halak getting a number of starts in a row when Rask goes cold or gets injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad