Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney addresses signings- All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
There is no NHL talent looking to take over those spots unless you play Heinen out of position.

Donato, JFK, Bjork, Frederic and Studnicka are not established NHL players. If you move Heinen you have another hole on the left side. Sweeney did not address these needs in the off season. Period. He showed it in his pursuit of Kovalchuk that he knows he has key weak spots but failed to fill them
Not being an established NHL player is a very very differnt thing from not being an NHL talent. All five guys you noted have NHL talent. If teams followed your rationale, they would never draft anyone because they weren't established NHL players. News flash - Even Wayne Gretzky was a rookie with no NHL experience at one point.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not being an established NHL player is a very very differnt thing from not being an NHL talent. All five guys you noted have NHL talent. If teams followed your rationale, they would never draft anyone because they weren't established NHL players. News flash - Even Wayne Gretzky was a rookie with no NHL experience at one point.
I just would have liked established options here, I get the importance of draft and develop, I just think you develop in the AHL not the NHL. Also pure percentages suggest that not all of these prospects will play even a single game in the NHL never mind being important contributors.

I also find it extremely annoying that Sweeney continues to reach for picks, Senyshyn being the perfect example.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I also find it extremely annoying that Sweeney continues to reach for picks, Senyshyn being the perfect example.

Debrusk was considered a reach as well... but he turned out a lot better than expectations on draft day.

Senyshyn still has upside due to his physical traits, and he did score 87 goals in 2 OHL seasons, but who knows if/when he can ever make the leap to the NHL level. I'd say give him some time to mature.

I think about the only aspect of GMing that I continue to give Sweeney credit for is his drafting.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Debrusk was considered a reach as well... but he turned out a lot better than expectations on draft day.

Senyshyn still has upside due to his physical traits, and he did score 87 goals in 2 OHL seasons, but who knows if/when he can ever make the leap to the NHL level. I'd say give him some time to mature.

I think about the only aspect of GMing that I continue to give Sweeney credit for is his drafting.
Debrusk was ranked 19 and taken 14, so not really much of a reach at all. As for the expectation, I think (as with anything) it depends on whose expectations you were listening to.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
One concern moving fwd should the Bruins lack of 1c or even 2c quality center on the depth chart

Sweeney obsession with defensive oriented centers (3c types) .... cost them a chance to draft Barzal, Konechy, DeBrincat for example

They say draft the BPA and let the kinks workout on its own later. But Sweeney seems like he wants to try to emulate the Bergeron line model from top to bottom. Which is ideal but trying to find another Bergeron is once in a decade kind of gift

Last edited:
Reactions: AlpineLager

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
One concern moving fwd should the Bruins lack of 1c or even 2c quality center on the depth chart

Sweeney obsession with defensive oriented centers (3c types) .... cost them a chance to draft Barzal, Konechy, DeBrincat for example

They say draft the BPA and let the kinks workout on its own later. But Sweeney seems like he wants to try to emulate the Bergeron line model from top to bottom. Which is ideal but trying to find another Bergeron is once in a decade kind of gift
name a center that they drafted when the guys you listed were available.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Um what team has a quality 1C or 2C just sitting around as a healthy scratch?

Konecny and DeBrincat don't play center.

JFK, Frederic or even Backes are more than capable to fill in for a little bit while someone is injured.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Made me laugh.
Of all the players to mention, you name the one player that was never a rookie in the NHL.
He came over from the WHA.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Apparently the 2019 draft is all about an abundance of high quality centers. Not sure who will be available when the Bruins step up to the podium, but quality players always seem to fall and Sweeney has done a pretty spectacular job in this regards.

Here are a few of the the C's currently projected to go in the first round:

Jack Hughes
Alex Newhook
Alex Turcotte
Dylan Cozens
Trevor Zegras
Raphael Lavoie
Valentin Nussbaumer
Kirby Dach
Ryan Suzuki
Yegor Spiridonov
Blake Murray
Petr Cajka
John Beecher
Oleg Zaitsev

There is a lot of variability in where Alex Newhook is ranked. Some folks like Steve Kourianos have him ranked #2 overall. Craig button has him going at the end of the first. This just goes to show there is a possibility be a great C player available when the Bruins are ready to pick.

Reactions: TCB

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Apparently the 2019 draft is all about an abundance of high quality centers. Not sure who will be available when the Bruins step up to the podium, but quality players always seem to fall and Sweeney has done a pretty spectacular job in this regards.

Here are a few of the the C's currently projected to go in the first round:

Jack Hughes
Alex Newhook
Alex Turcotte
Dylan Cozens
Trevor Zegras
Raphael Lavoie
Valentin Nussbaumer
Kirby Dach
Ryan Suzuki
Yegor Spiridonov
Blake Murray
Petr Cajka
John Beecher
Oleg Zaitsev

There is a lot of variability in where Alex Newhook is ranked. Some folks like Steve Kourianos have him ranked #2 overall. Craig button has him going at the end of the first. This just goes to show there is a possibility be a great C player available when the Bruins are ready to pick.

Is there by a chance of miracle the Bruins can draft Hughes?

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Is there by a chance of miracle the Bruins can draft Hughes?

Less than .00000001% chance.

The package required to trade for the 1st overall pick would essentially push the Bruins into an immediate rebuild process - and while Jack Hughes looks to be a dynamic forward, in the vein of Patrick Kane, he would not be worthy of such a package.

But let's not ignore the real story here...

The awful reality in Ottawa is that they traded a conditional 1st rounder to COL as part of the Duchesne trade. They had the option to make that pick a 2018 or 2019 pick - they opted to take Brady Tkachuk at 4th overall this past year - which means COL gets to use the OTT pick in 2019. OTT is in a world of hurt and that pick will likely be a lottery pick, with a high likelihood of being the 1st overall pick.

If OTT tanks this season, they will watch COL use their 1st overall to nab Jack Hughes...and on top of it all, Matt Duchesne only has one year left on his contract before turning UFA.

Think about that for a moment.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Less than .00000001% chance.

The package required to trade for the 1st overall pick would essentially push the Bruins into an immediate rebuild process - and while Jack Hughes looks to be a dynamic forward, in the vein of Patrick Kane, he would not be worthy of such a package.

But let's not ignore the real story here...

The awful reality in Ottawa is that they traded a conditional 1st rounder to COL as part of the Duchesne trade. They had the option to make that pick a 2018 or 2019 pick - they opted to take Brady Tkachuk at 4th overall this past year - which means COL gets to use the OTT pick in 2019. OTT is in a world of hurt and that pick will likely be a lottery pick, with a high likelihood of being the 1st overall pick.

If OTT tanks this season, they will watch COL use their 1st overall to nab Jack Hughes...and on top of it all, Matt Duchesne only has one year left on his contract before turning UFA.

Think about that for a moment.

The B’s wouldn’t need to trade for the first pick, just a non-playoff pick, as every non playoff pick is now a lottery pick...

Then win the lottery :laugh:

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The B’s wouldn’t need to trade for the first pick, just a non-playoff pick, as every non playoff pick is now a lottery pick...

Then win the lottery :laugh:

The odds of a team outside the bottom 5 winning the lottery are terrible. So, if the Bruins are 100% committed to drafting Jack Hughes, the only way to make sure they get him is to make a behemoth trade on draft day.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The odds of a team outside the bottom 5 winning the lottery are terrible. So, if the Bruins are 100% committed to drafting Jack Hughes, the only way to make sure they get him is to make a behemoth trade on draft day.

Here are the lottery odds from 2018.

1—18.5%
2—13.5%
3—11.5%
4—9.5%
5—8.5%
6—7.5%
7—6.5%
8—6.0%
9—5.0%
10—3.5%
11—3.0%
12—2.5%
13—2.0%
14—1.5%
15—1.0%

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Here are the lottery odds from 2018.

1—18.5%
2—13.5%
3—11.5%
4—9.5%
5—8.5%
6—7.5%
7—6.5%
8—6.0%
9—5.0%
10—3.5%
11—3.0%
12—2.5%
13—2.0%
14—1.5%
15—1.0%

so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-memegenerator-net-23624435.png

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Ya'll ever heard of Matt Barzal?

Frederic and Cehlarik should, by rights, make this roster and both are ready to be top 9 NHL contributors on a nightly basis.

Reactions: bryson21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad