Management Bruins facing a PR disaster as Julien and Poutineville are courting Chara

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I love Chara. Put him in the Hall of Fame and retire his number.

My question is; does re-signing him move the Bruins any closer to winning the Stanley Cup???

If the answer is “NO,” then move on.

I’m finished watching the Bruins tread water. Time to rebuild and commit to winning. Time to stop living in the past.

Game 7 of finals two years ago.

Best record in the league last season.

That's treading water? Not committed to winning?

Rebuilding is a commit to winning?

Reactions: PB37 and RoccoF14

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Eagles was a tit-head. Plain and simple.

With Bobby becoming a minority owner of the Bruins, where would that have left Eagledick? Money wise, none. It's not a players contract. No percentage to Eagledick.
Eagledick just looked out for himself and well knew of the status of Bobby's health and he also was pestered by the Bruins to have up to date reports on Bobby's knees before a players contract was to be offered.
In reality, the Bruins offered Bobby something so much greater than a players contract.

Good one.

Its pretty well known that guys with money that have to actually "do time" are special cases.

I'm sure Eagleson admires the current (U.S.) administration.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Then the playoffs came......

I was actually nervous for his safety at times.

For the love of God can we stop judging players on these playoffs?

Do we not realize how Mickey Mouse it all was? Are you really surprised a 43 yr old player looked slow after a 3 month break?

You know who else looked like hot garbage? Carlo. He couldn't skate, couldn't handle the puck to save his life and was beaten constantly.

Point being, making decisions about players based on these playoffs is an asinine exercise.

Chara this year on the team:
1st in +/- at +26 on only 14 points
1st in PK time
2nd in defensive point shares to only McAvoy
1st in blocks
1st in dzone starts by 14%. 65% vs 51 for McAvoy
Better ES ga/60 than McAvoy and Carlo
Only 39 ES GA with 18 ES min/gm

He was also top 10 in the league in defensive point shares and +/-

Yes his offense and puck handling are gone but you will be hard pressed to find a better shutdown D man

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have you heard anything to make you believe we will have an internal cap this year? I've worried about this but have not heard or seen anything concrete.

Without fans, EVERY team in the NHL is going to lose millions. In the Bruins case, it is roughly $50 million and that does NOT include concessions.

The Bruins as a business is designed to break even if they do not make the playoffs.

Delaware North Boston has real problems with the Hub on Causeway and the new office tower being built. Cities as we knew them will never be the same.

100 years ago cities bounced back after the 1918 pandemic but that was partly because people had to return to an office and retail stores bounced back because working and shopping online was a sci-fi fantasy.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta

Do we not realize how Mickey Mouse it all was? Are you really surprised a 43 yr old player looked slow after a 3 month break?

You know who else looked like hot garbage? Carlo. He couldn't skate, couldn't handle the puck to save his life and was beaten constantly.

Point being, making decisions about players based on these playoffs is an asinine exercise.

1st in PK time
1st in blocks

Yes his offense and puck handling are gone but you will be hard pressed to find a better shutdown D man

Wow! You really like Tony.....I mean Chara.

Reactions: Dr Hook

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Without fans, EVERY team in the NHL is going to lose millions. In the Bruins case, it is roughly $50 million and that does NOT include concessions.

The Bruins as a business is designed to break even if they do not make the playoffs.

Delaware North Boston has real problems with the Hub on Causeway and the new office tower being built. Cities as we knew them will never be the same.

100 years ago cities bounced back after the 1918 pandemic but that was partly because people had to return to an office and retail stores bounced back because working and shopping online was a sci-fi fantasy.

What’s the recourse for owners if things get bad enough?

Ask the players to take a haircut on existing contracts?

Lockout?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Lockout?
haircut-27.jpg

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Lockout?

Players will wind up playing on a pro-rated basis so if the season is only 60 games that is 25% of salary gone.

At least this time nobody can accuse the owners of hiding revenue

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

If you look at the collection of assets the Delaware North company has, it's basically a concession (restaurant & bar) and limited facilities mgmt company. Given COVID you can likely assume they are off 40-50% of their revenue with the same economic model of a restaurant business. That means JJ is bleeding upwards of 300-400M a year if this carries thru to the 1h of 2021 - minimum....

B's are chump change for him in the grand scheme of things, as his total Boston business is circa 10% of his 3.4B (pre-covid) empire. If they can't play with a gate and concessions in 2021 we're not talking about losses, but bankruptcy for some teams and owners (IMO). See this is the difference between billionaire equity owners, and billionaire cash owners. Equity is worthless unless someone is ok to front the cash to buy it, and 2021 is going to be a bloodbath if there is no fix in site by early December.

As Jake and Elwood would say....

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: BMC

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Leadership that led the Bruins to a:

Game 7 loss at home to Carolina in 2009.

Game 7 loss at home to the Flyers in 2010, Oh, and they blew a 3-0 lead in the series AND in Game 7.

Game 7 loss at home to Washington in 2012.

Game 7 loss at home to Montreal in 2014. I was at that game and they looked completely disinterested. They only guy who played with any huevos was Jarome Iginla. He scored the Bruins’ only goal if I remember correctly.

A loss in the 2016 Winter Classic at our biggest venue on national TV against our biggest foe. For some crazy reason, I’ve never been madder at the Bruins than that day.

And of course last year’s Game 7 at home to the Blues.

Zdeno Chara is a great player and will be in the hall of fame and have his number retired one day. But I’m tired of hearing about “leadership.” What the Bruins need right now is an infusion of TALENT. Chara’s leadership won’t get the Bruins to the Cup in 2021 or anytime after that.

If he wants to come back - awesome. If not, start the rebuild.

You can add the DNQs of 2014-15 and 2015-16 to the list. The drive just wasn’t there in those teams to push for a playoff spot. There has been uncertain leadership on this team, especially at key moments in recent seasons. I’m not convinced that the leadership will take much of a hit if Chara moves on.

Reactions: rfournier103

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I really don't see how they can keep him given their other needs.

That f***ing Kevan Miller contract is probably going to rob us of the chance to see Z retire as a Bruin

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I don't get why people care if Bergeron is the captain of the team or not, it is clear the players don't care about it.

Personally, I DON'T want Bergeron to be captain. It's unnecessary and the only thing it will achieve is me buying more jersey's and memorabilia I don't need :help::help::help::D

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chara played 21 minutes a game last season with zero power play time.

Bruins had the best goals against average in the league.
So wait .... they could bring him back in reduced role and only lose Krug who’s not strong defensively

They would reason to be very good defensively again

Reactions: TOR1970Cup

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

1st in PK time
1st in blocks

Well said

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad