Post-Game Talk: Bruins def. Canucks - 3-2 (Pearson, Garland)

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Does anyone know if there’s viewer ratings for Canuck games? I gotta assume ratings are way down for the Canucks?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
tonight, my six year old, the one who became a hockey fan when we watched boeser win all star weekend and cried himself to sleep when we lost that game 7 to vegas: “we should find a new team to cheer for.”

oh I think a large number of loyal Canucks fans are doing this. This is what happens when you don’t do a proper rebuild and drag it out like this, it’s way more risky than being honest to the fan base. Retooling or rebuilding this core is likely not an option for the owners

the owners fired Gillis because he wanted a rebuild, Linden wanted to rebuild and now he’s gone and fans will be fired next

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone know if there’s viewer ratings for Canuck games? I gotta assume ratings are way down for the Canucks?
How bout merchandise sales? All the fellow Canuck fans I know have stopped buying merchandise. Every sports store you go to there is shelves full of Canucks gear collecting dust. People are ashamed wearing Canucks mercy in public. I’d have to throw a paper bag on before I’d ever think of throwing on one of my Canucks jerseys right now. I sure as hell ain’t buying another jersey as long as this owner shows he clearly doesn’t give a shit.

Aqua just letting a billion dollar company burn to the ground.

Reactions: iFan

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I mean one can try different players on the PK just for the hell of it. Perhaps they could have done better than 33% tonight.

Maybe jettison Chiasson from the lineup. Maybe realize Dickinson at his best is going to do nothing.

Or maybe…keep some lines together for more than 2 shifts.

and higher up…maybe find a president and clean house.
Going back to Miller-Petey-Boeser may be worth trying.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
We started last season 8-14-2. If we beat the terrible Montreal and Ottawa teams to close out this road trip we will have the exact same start to the season this year as last year.

People were really burying their head in the sand about how lousy we were last year and then after the season ended they weirdly made up stupid narratives about how COVID ruined the season which made no sense.

It should be utterly no surprise to anyone that a last-place team from last season is a last-place team again this year, but somehow certain people are shocked and baffled by this.

A little expectations were maybe bubble team some kids learn see some light coming where it is now is just beyond poor expectations and as said coaching is not getting message through or instilling any confidence in the systems and thats on coaches.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
That 1st goal on Halak was absolutely putrid. CHL goalies would stop that shit, embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as the refs watching Marchand blatantly slewfoot OEL, and making him go dangerously into the boards. It's amazing how much the refs turn a blind eye to that rat bastard's antics. Easiest call they could've made in this game.

And speaking of OEL... what a dumb penalty in the late going. Even Hoglander took a goddamned stupid tripping penalty that cost us the game(might have something to do with our PK too). A lot of low IQ plays being made every game, and there is no sign of it stopping, and no sign of change coming. I think I might stop watching for a while, I'm just cursing at the tv all game and not even cheering our goals anymore.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think back when Markstrom was here and all those games they won when they played like crap as well they may of not won if it wasn't for Markstrom.

Without Markstrom turning in a season where he should have won the Vezina (but goalies have worse seasons were able to put up better numbers behind better defences) we would have been a bottom-5 team in 19-20 as well.

Night after night we were the 2nd best team at ES but Markstrom would stand on his head and the PP was rocking.

And everyone just ate up the results rather than looking at the process.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
That 1st goal on Halak was absolutely putrid. CHL goalies would stop that shit, embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as the refs watching Marchand blatantly slewfoot OEL, and making him go dangerously into the boards. It's amazing how much the refs turn a blind eye to that rat bastard's antics. Easiest call they could've made in this game.

And speaking of OEL... what a dumb penalty in the late going. Even Hoglander took a goddamned stupid tripping penalty that cost us the game(might have something to do with our PK too). A lot of low IQ plays being made every game, and there is no sign of it stopping, and no sign of change coming. I think I might stop watching for a while, I'm just cursing at the tv all game and not even cheering our goals anymore.

The guy OEL hit turned last second he should have gotten 2 for stupidity and baiting a call refs should have been nutted for buying it, hockey under buttman gets harder to like each year

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This. Tell that kid he must suffer like the rest of us.

Meh. Plenty of people live here and don't give a shit about the Canucks. I wouldn't start a kid on it. I had my first and really wondered aloud whether I should get him in on it the same way my dad dragged me into a form of entertainment that, all told throughout my life was a complete net negative especially when you count wasted time and money. Like my life would have been better (in a very mild, trite way of course, especially with way bigger problems in real life, but still) if I had never liked this team at all.

This team is run like complete garbage currently and has been essentially cursed to failure since I started to watch in the 90s. All of my close friends have long abandoned them since 2011 and couldn't name a single player on the team. I stick around out of habit and my sole connection is through my HF post, I don't even know the score until I enter the Canucks subforum. I have only one friend among maybe 20 I talk to semi-regularly that knows anything about this team.

I'll be priming my kid to follow soccer and basketball, feels like they're the sports of the future and Canada is getting better at both of them. Hockey only if he asks for it and his friends are really into it would I encourage. This city's team is a waste of an NHL slot - I'd rather see them moved to Quebec at this point and instead be given an NBA team.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Didn’t watch the game but just saw the highlight pack. Why not try Hughes on the PK? that game winning goal was some of the most pathetic defending I’ve seen Burroughs got walked into the shadow realm.

Reactions: geebaan

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes has played on the PK twice this season. No goals against and 1 assist.

Someone who isn't a regular killer is exactly whats needed, because they haven't practiced our history worst PK strategy yet.

Reactions: LordBacon

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Hughes has played on the PK twice this season. No goals against and 1 assist.

Someone who isn't a regular killer is exactly whats needed, because they haven't practiced our history worst PK strategy yet.
Byron Bitz once scored 2 goals in a game playing with the twins. I wonder why he did not continue with them for the whole season. :sarcasm:

Hughes on the PK would be like playing 5v3. He can barely defend at 5v5 when sheltered from tough matchups and you want to use him on PK where his weakness would be even more obvious just because he played on 2 penalty kills and has 1 assist.Let's use Horvat in goal because he was never scored on.:D

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Byron Bitz once scored 2 goals in a game playing with the twins. I wonder why he did not continue with them for the whole season. :sarcasm:

Hughes on the PK would be like playing 5v3. He can barely defend at 5v5 when sheltered from tough matchups and you want to use him on PK where his weakness would be even more obvious just because he played on 2 penalty kills and has 1 assist.Let's use Horvat in goal because he was never scored on.:D

Huggy plays the most minutes on the team, not sheltered at all.. Modern PK's have like zero physicality, its all puck retrieval and icing.... Hughes is by FAR our best puck retriever and long distance passer. Without using him, we have the worst PK in NHL history.. the floor don't get any lower.. may as well be 5v3.

If you, like I do, want the kid to up his battle, the PK on a lost season is the best place to do it. It will pay dividends for his ES play in the future where hopefully the results matter.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Huggy plays the most minutes on the team, not sheltered at all.. Modern PK's have like zero physicality, its all puck retrieval and icing.... Hughes is by FAR our best puck retriever and long distance passer. Without using him, we have the worst PK in NHL history.. the floor don't get any lower.. may as well be 5v3.

If you, like I do, want the kid to up his battle, the PK on a lost season is the best place to do it. It will pay dividends for his ES play in the future where hopefully the results matter.
Plays most minutes with O-zone starts. Plays almost 2 mins/PP. He doest not play the heavy minutes. The last thing we need is for him to get injured from blocking pucks on PK. You think Shaw would not use him on PK if he was at least decent at it?

Take a look at today's game: Hughes TOI: 21:23 with 5:44 PP time and 0 PK time. Both OEL and Myers played more minutes more at even strength plus PK time. His ES minuntes are 3rd on the team. If you take in consideration his 0-zone starts he seems quite sheltered.

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Plays most minutes with O-zone starts. Plays 2 mins/PP. He doest not play the heavy minutes. The last thing we need is for him to get injured from blocking pucks on PK. You think Shaw would not use him on PK if he was at least decent at it?
Big minutes are the heaviest minutes, he has the most responsibility on the team via puck control. He's splitting his PP time with OEL, certainly not getting the whole 2mins, though he should... Usually forwards block the shots on PK (unless ur Tanev), or nobody on this team... a minute a game for him will do some good, and isn't hurting the team overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad