Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Caps 4 - 1!!!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
He told him no. Why should he drop them. Thornton dogged him. Hendricks was pretty much hunted by a pack of Bruins and said **** this I'm taking the one with the best chance and I'm going at them. Eat or be eaten. I really don't see the problem this is what

I just think that if you're a fighter and you do something that gets the entire other team pissed at you and an honest tough guy challenges you clean - and he's in you're weight class, you do it.

In the end I think that he'd have been better off with Thornton, anyway. He's a pro and tends to fight with less emotion/anger than McQuaid, who seems like he'd be just as likely to step on your hand as he would be to let you off the hook if he got an advantage.

Last edited:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
When it comes to Henricks I think it is okay to think he was a bit of a punk today but still think he would be a good bottom 6 pick up at the deadline.

I just want the Bruins that showed up today to show up tomorrow and beat the Pens.

Sad that I will miss the game. Will be taking my daughter to Northeastern for a college visit.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Strong answer is strong. I'd love to hear an actual answer from you.

Oh, and reading comprehension is not your strong suit obviously.

"They've all answered the bell more than Marchand in recent years.".

My reading comprehension is just fine

Like I said he has fought 4 times and has answered when he was supposed to. Marchand is almost in every scrum. Torres turtles Ott turtles. Marchand does not.

Yeah Torres "answered the bell" when McQuaid made him and he turtled when Bollig(I think) made him answer the bell for the Hossa hit.

Your examples and comparisons are lacking

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
A blow to Hortons head could certainly do some damage, and there's no denying that. However, just as much damage can be done by being hit in open ice (his concussion) or along the boards (Savard). I would agree that there is a lot of increased risk for a concussion with him fighting, but I'd also argue that there's a much greater chance of him getting a concussion by playing a physical checking game than there is by him fighting. How many examples can you find of people sustaining another concussion because of a fight compared to a hit? It's probably not even close with more people sustaining concussions from a hit.

Now, I get that you'll say that the risk of him getting a fist to the face is going to be higher than him getting hit along the boards, but that's the style of game he plays when he's on. If Horton doesn't want to fight or engage like that, then he should play a softer game, which I don't want him to do at all.

And, no, I don't see Horton breaking sticks over opposing players. However, I do see him getting sucker punches (Hedman) in and hitting players while they're on the ice (Gleason) sometimes. It's his style of game, and I love it, but don't act like he shouldn't answer the bell as well. Not to mention that Emelin's cross-check wasn't much at all, regardless of a weak composite stick breaking.

A good player, especially at that level is going to see most of the hits coming. Biggest problem many complain a/b coming back from a concussion is, everything seems to be moving faster than before. Why Horton looks like he's in slow motion a lot. Probably why he ate 2 big punches despite the guy coming from 15 feet away. Probably why we saw Bergeron skate face first into Siedenberg's shoulder pad. Ironically enough, it's the hits you don't see that end up hurting you. But that can be anticipated more than fists flying at your head. Look at all it took to end Savard's career, two hits he saw coming, but his brain could no longer sustain. And, you want Horton voluntarily fighting? Ok.

If it were possible to fight and not get hit, then no one would ever get punched, would they? Everyone takes a risk when they fight. Orr, Lucic, Thornton, all of them risk getting KO'd. All it takes is one on, or just above your chin below your teeth, and it's good night. Already have issues like Horton? The stars are going to take a lot longer to go away. He can still play physical. But his fighting days are over.

No coincidence most guys who get lined up for headshots aren't the 4th line fighter types, are they?

Seguin and the stick.... easy to say from the couch. You know there's no padding back there above your pants, right? Emelin is well known now for some of the cheap heat he brings. Have a plate in your face? May want to cut the stuff out of your game your face plate may have to answer for.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I just think that if you're a fighter and you do something that gets the entire other team pissed at you and an honest tough guy challenges you clean - and he's in you're weight class, you do it.

In the end I think that he'd have been better off with Thornton, anywaty. He's a pro and tends to fight with less emotion/anger than McQuaid, who seems like he'd be just as likely to step on your hand as he would be to let you off the hook, if he got an advantage.

Gotta agree. Thornton is more technically sound and the punches would hurt but he will let up if he sees he has the upper hand. Mcquaid will keep going until they make him stop.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
My reading comprehension is just fine

Like I said he has fought 4 times and has answered when he was supposed to. Marchand is almost in every scrum. Torres turtles Ott turtles. Marchand does not.

Yeah Torres "answered the bell" when McQuaid made him and he turtled when Bollig(I think) made him answer the bell for the Hossa hit.

Your examples and comparisons are lacking

I don't like Ott, but he has 19 fights in the past three seasons.

You just said Marchand was in nearly every scrum, yet he has less fights than the players I mentioned, by a lot in the past few seasons. That really hurts your point of him answering the bell.

Try again princess.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I like how you avoided answer me about Torres clearly you do know what the **** you are talking about and that is why you resorted to name calling

:laugh:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
why is Hendricks still being talked about? Guys it was our most complete game of the year and the B's looked outstanding. Talk about that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'll have to watch the Horton fight again, but at first glance it looked like Hendricks had the gloves off quick and got a couple rapid shots in before going down. Didn`t really give Horton the chance to stand toe to toe. Horton had the clear size and strength advantage. Could`ve been a good fight.

The Thornton-McQuaid-Hendricks exchange was funny. Hendrix made the smart choice of going with a guy in his weight class. I don`t have a problem with that at all. Again though, he came in wild like he just wanted to get it over with. I think McQuaid would have tuned him up if they went at it again off the draw.

I hope the jump starts Lucic, Krejci, and Horton.

That is the one issue I have especially with Horton's history- and importance to this team. It is this that makes me think why Thornton asked for a fight and then when received an unacceptable offer 'broke the code' and continued to engage Hendricks. It then became nothing more than a school yard scene where 2 kids try to goad another- Hendricks at that point realized he was not in a good spot 'did the fake' and took the path of least pain. But he did not turtle in fact I like the quick thinking

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Who knew Emelin had plates in his face? Did it happen on the ice? Horton getting smoked was a pretty big story in the Cup finals. Chara said he had no idea. Pretty sure Hendricks had some clue a/b Horton.

If Horton skated around breaking sticks over backstrom's ribs or kidney, I'd think he was borderline Pejorative Slured to not expect to have to answer for it. Plates in your face? Emelin has to be extra crispy considering some of the stuff he does. I guess I side w/ Lucic.

So, yeah. It is different.

Horton looked like he wanted to go. Equally as stupid. But Hendricks shouldn't have obliged him. Instead he flew at Horton. There are other guys on the B's that fight, no?

Why Thorty and McQuaid made a point of feeding Hendricks.

Funny, but doesn't Joe Thornton have a "plate in his face" from Eric Lindros?

He's still playing without a shield and dropping the gloves when need be. His fight with Jamie Benn was excellent.

Emelin is a joke. I don't except his or habs fans excuse for his cowardly play.

Bergeron plays like a player who had a major injury. He doesn't even plant guys anymore like he did from 2003-07. He makes sure not to raise ire, all while playing hard. Emelin doesn't do that, and he can suffer the consequences. Horton didn't do that today and it wasn't too smart.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
That is the one issue I have especially with Horton's history- and importance to this team. It is this that makes me think why Thornton asked for a fight and then when received an unacceptable offer 'broke the code' and continued to engage Hendricks. It then became nothing more than a school yard scene where 2 kids try to goad another- Hendricks at that point realized he was not in a good spot 'did the fake' and took the path of least pain. But he did not turtle in fact I like the quick thinking

What did it look like at the game? Must have been unreal... Did you feel the tension rising as they closes in? I cannot ever remember seeing that as the play was going on...was nuts

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
It was obvious the Cap's defenseman tried to pass the puck from behind the net (when it appeared Lucic passed the puck to Krejci for the goal) either to one of his teammates or just to get it out of their end. I never heard anything from any of the Bruins analysts about it. Looch didn't make that pass if you watch it closely. Just wondering if you guys noticed it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What did it look like at the game? Must have been unreal... Did you feel the tension rising as they closes in? I cannot ever remember seeing that as the play was going on...was nuts
It was clearly at another level from the Panthers. Horton and Lucic were flying- Horton second game at this speed. I really wish Ovechkin would find whatever he had first 5 years. Much more fun to see greatness even if a dick at tines- all about Heroes and Villans

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When it comes to Henricks I think it is okay to think he was a bit of a punk today but still think he would be a good bottom 6 pick up at the deadline.

I just want the Bruins that showed up today to show up tomorrow and beat the Pens.

Sad that I will miss the game. Will be taking my daughter to Northeastern for a college visit.

Nice we got more than Bruins in common lol

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
1. Poor reasoning. Thornton wanting to fight Henricks for fighting someone who can hold their own and initiates just as much as he receives.

2. Stop with the concussion excuse. He's been fine this entire season, INITIATES himself, and plays a physical game. If Horton doesn't want to drop the gloves either, don't play physical and don't go looking for a fight like he did earlier in the game in front of the Capitals crease.

3. Disagree.

4. No, you're just trying to make them seem completely different. Who cares if Hendricks is a "fighter" and Marchand isn't? Marchand is a **** disturber and does it quite often and effectively. Yet, since he's not a "fighter", he doesn't need to answer? If Marchand doesn't want to answer, then he shouldn't initiate, right? You're just coming up with some garbage excuses here.

This is almost as dumb as when 50% of the GDT posts are crying about officiating when the Bruins have continually been at the bottom of the league the past few seasons for minor penalties against and minor penalties for. It's always the Bruins being in the right and everyone else being in the wrong. It's a two way street. I really don't see how you can call Hendricks a spot picker, yet claim Marchand isn't just because he's small.:laugh:.

1. You call it a poor reasoning, but it's the exact one. That's hockey. Are you new to the sport?

2. Stop with the concussion excuse? Horton is a physical player? Really?

4. LMAO. They ARE completely different. Marchand isn't a spot picker because he's NOT a fighter. Hendricks IS a fighter and obviously picked the lesser of two evils when given the choice. Only YOU can't see that. Dry the tears from your eyes with your Hendricks jersey and snap back to reality. Bruins felt he needed to pay for going after Horton. They're his teammates. I think their reasoning's for sticking up for Horton far outweigh your perception of what they should have done or not done. Give me a ****ing break with this crap nonsense.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
It was clearly at another level from the Panthers. Horton and Lucic were flying- Horton second game at this speed. I really wish Ovechkin would find whatever he had first 5 years. Much more fun to see greatness even if a dick at tines- all about Heroes and Villans

I wish Ovechkin would get back to his Hart Trophy winning days. I can't quite put my finger on the problem with him. I don't think it's just him, but he does need to step it up. It's obvious the talent is still there, but something is missing.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It was obvious the Cap's defenseman tried to pass the puck from behind the net (when it appeared Lucic passed the puck to Krejci for the goal) either to one of his teammates or just to get it out of their end. I never heard anything from any of the Bruins analysts about it. Looch didn't make that pass if you watch it closely. Just wondering if you guys noticed it.

The first replay showed it quite clearly although Lucic got his stick on the defenders maybe messing up the clearing attempt but it was certainly not a pass. The announcers however did continuously say it was a beauty pass when it wasn't

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Just curious- was anyone else annoyed by Thornton in the third period for not playing hockey, but instead goading players on his entire shifts to fight him?

I love Thornton and I don't want people to think I am being hard on him, but it would not be the first time lately that a team came back and scored three unanswered goals to take the lead on us. Him taking a penalty like that in the third period, which to me, was a dumb one to take, ticked me off this afternoon. Time and place, Shawn. Others took care of Henricks, let it go til next time while you still have the two points in front of you. If Ovechkin plays like his usual self, that game could easily have turned around and been there's for the win.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I wish Ovechkin would get back to his Hart Trophy winning days. I can't quite put my finger on the problem with him. I don't think it's just him, but he does need to step it up. It's obvious the talent is still there, but something is missing.

I wish Ovi would go back to Russia and stay there.
Are you sure you're not a Caps fan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad