Boston Bruins BRUINS ANNOUNCE JULY 1 TRANSACTIONS - NESN special at 7:30 PM

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Wow, yuck, awful. We sign 5 guys who can realistically be expected to see significant NHL time and 4 of them are aged 31+. And this after what we saw in the playoffs with the older guys being worn down and/or injured being a major factor in our loss, while Vegas and the Avs won Cups in the last two years with lots of players in their prime.

Quite like the Geekie signing, he's a solid depth forward, and I get the nostalgia with Looch in the Centennial season. But otherwise, this is very disappointing. Understandable I suppose with the cap issues, but it's not pretty.

Wow, yuck, awful. We sign 5 guys who can realistically be expected to see significant NHL time and 4 of them are aged 31+. And this after what we saw in the playoffs with the older guys being worn down and/or injured being a major factor in our loss, while Vegas and the Avs won Cups in the last two years with lots of players in their prime.

Quite like the Geekie signing, he's a solid depth forward, and I get the nostalgia with Looch in the Centennial season. But otherwise, this is very disappointing. Understandable I suppose with the cap issues, but it's not pretty.
Looking like a feeder system for the Bruins alumni team.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That's my take as well. Taylor Hall was one of the best Bruins in the playoffs. Was a great soldier this season who did his job without complaining. Despite that DS basically gave him to Chicago as a salary dump out of necessity. It shows what a pickle the Bs were in cap-wise when they had to lose a player of Hall's quality in order to make sure they could field a roster while keeping enough pieces to hopefully remain competitive. Not sure if some fans understand that there is a cap and that GMs can't just press magic buttons that automatically sign players they like and make trades whenever they want. From what I can tell management is aiming to tread water this coming season while looking to do more serious building next summer when they have better options.

Bruins got bigger and more physical with these moves. Net front presence.

Something the team has lacked the last two seasons. Lack or needed more of.
They added three guys who will be 34, 34 and 35 when the season starts. Can't believe people are buying this stuff.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That’s why they were signed to one year contracts,and if they don’t pan out you bury them in Providence.
It will be half the season before Shattenkirk or JVR would be waived. So you waste half a season with them before you bring in a Providence guy.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It will be half the season before Shattenkirk or JVR would be waived. So you waste half a season with them before you bring in a Providence guy.
These guys don't really do that, though.

They played, evaluated, then waived Stalman within six weeks.

Guys with more term or history with the team, they'll give more rope to, but they haven't been indecisive with short timers.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t think we are done either. It is not even midnight on the first day of free agency and the trade deadline is not until March, but some people are already predicting significant levels of misery and disaster. This is day one. Let’s wait to see how it all plays out.
What free agents out there to do you think they could sign and that would improve the team?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Lucic was an excellent move.
JVR acceptable for a 3rd line role. If top 6, major concern.
Geekie signing has intriguing potential.

The rest are treading water at best which appears to be all the Bruins could afford. Hardly exciting but a lot hinges on Bergeron now.

I generally expect a team trading for rentals to retain at least one as good asset management, but the Bruins are not the only team to lose them all to UFA this season. Toronto as well!

Definitely should be factored into the trade deadline grades in hindsight. Going all in was essential but there should have been a plan to bring at least one player back to balance out the cost to acquire. Perhaps Bertuzzi was a little over ambitious to cover for the Hall injury in the larger picture.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins got bigger and more physical with these moves. Net front presence.

Something the team has lacked the last two seasons. Lack or needed more of.
They also are the oldest slowest team in the league (by a wide margin).

It's a 1 year bandaid and borderline playoff team "if" Bergeron returns.

All we can hope for is one or more of the '5' 2024 UFAs have a great season so they can be leveraged trade deadline.

The only other hope is for the younger bruin prospects to make an impact. We shall see.

BTW the bruins went for it last season...They did everything right. The playoff injuries were too much to overcome. I'm okay with a crappy season.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Still going to be some empty spots in the lineup for Providence guys ,just how many do you think the Bruins have that can play with the Big B’s.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

All we can hope for is one or more of the '5' 2024 UFAs have a great season so they can be leveraged trade deadline.

The only other hope is for the younger bruin prospects to make an impact. We shall see.

BTW the bruins went for it last season...They did everything right. The playoff injuries were too much to overcome. I'm okay with a crappy season.
You can throw in there Sweeney makes a hockey trade and brings in a true Number one Center.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Still way too early to project BUT the Bruins should still be a Top 3 team in the Atlantic and avoid the wild card bubble scrum.

The Atlantic is going to be a brutal division as Buffalo and Detroit are trending upward and Ottawa and Montreal will be better which means cue @smithformeragent - points will not come easy in division games. There are no longer any bottom feeders.

Sweeney has a mandate from ownership that a rebuild is not an option.

And it shouldn't be an option.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

If Bergeron returns,other than Krejci and Hall ,and Clifton who else are they missing that was with the team for most of the season,while they had the best record in the League?

Reactions: FONZIE

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If Bergeron returns,other than Krejci and Hall ,and Clifton who else are they missing that was with the team for most of the season,while they had the best record in the League?
Like you said "if Bergeron" returns, Krecji was impactful and Hall will be missed big time. Clifton hurts because he plays big with speed.

The team is way way too slow to compete and those players you mentioned were detrimental to the success of the team.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
These guys don't really do that, though.

They played, evaluated, then waived Stalman within six weeks.

Guys with more term or history with the team, they'll give more rope to, but they haven't been indecisive with short timers.
Stra!man was invited in camp, not signed the first day of FA. So I doubt they look at them the same as him.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Love bringing Looch home
Like the Geekie deal
Pretty meh on the other guys but they didn’t have many options and now they’re cap compliant

Reactions: rocketdan9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad