Boston Bruins BRUINS ANNOUNCE JULY 1 TRANSACTIONS - NESN special at 7:30 PM

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

BRUINS ANNOUNCE JULY 1 TRANSACTIONS

BOSTON – Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, July 1, the following roster transactions:

Patrick Brown, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward Patrick Brown to a two-year contract with an annual NHL cap hit of $800,000.

Brown, 31, most recently appeared in 18 games with the Ottawa Senators and 43 with the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2022-23 season, tallying four goals and eight assists for 12 points. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound forward has played in 138 career NHL games with Ottawa, Philadelphia, Vegas and Carolina, totaling 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points.

The Bloomfield Hills, Michigan native was originally signed as a free agent by Carolina in April 2014.

Morgan Geekie, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward Morgan Geekie to a two-year contract with an annual NHL cap hit of $2 million.

Geekie, 24, most recently appeared in 69 games with the Seattle Kraken during the 2022-23 season, recording nine goals and 19 assists for 28 points. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound center has played in 180 career NHL games with Seattle and Carolina, totaling 22 goals and 41 assists for 63 points.

The Strathclair, Manitoba native was originally selected by Carolina in the third round (67thoverall) of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Milan Lucic, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward Milan Lucic to a one-year contract with an NHL cap hit of $1 million plus an additional $500,000 in performance-based incentives.

Lucic previously played in Boston from the 2007-08 season to the 2014-15 season, recording a career-high 62 points during the 2010-11 season when the Bruins won their sixth Stanley Cup.

Lucic, 35, most recently appeared in 77 games with the Calgary Flames during the 2022-23 season, recording seven goals and 12 assists for 19 points. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound forward has played in 1,173 career NHL games with Boston, Calgary, Los Angeles and Edmonton, totaling 233 goals and 351 assists for 584 points with a plus-60 rating.

The Vancouver, British Columbia native was originally selected by Boston in the second round (50th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Kevin Shattenkirk, Defenseman

The Bruins have signed defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk to a one-year contract with an NHL cap hit of $1.05 million.

Shattenkirk, 34, most recently appeared in 75 games with the Anaheim Ducks during the 2022-23 season, recording four goals and 23 assists for 27 points.

The 6-foot, 212-pound blueliner has played in 891 career NHL games with Anaheim, Tampa Bay, N.Y.Rangers, Washington, St. Louis and Colorado, totaling 97 goals and 363 assists for 460 points.

The New Rochelle, New York native was originally selected by Colorado in the first round (14thoverall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

James Van Riemsdyk, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward James Van Riemsdyk to a one-year contract with an NHL cap hit of $1 million.

Van Riemsdyk, 34, most recently appeared in 61 games with the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2022-23 season, recording 12 goals and 17 assists for 29 points. The 6-foot-3, 208-pound winger has played in 940 career NHL games with Philadelphia and Toronto, totaling 300 goals and 291 assists for 591 points.

The Middletown, New Jersey native was originally selected by Philadelphia in the first round (2nd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Jayson Megna, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward Jayson Megna to a one-year, two-way contract with an NHL cap hit of $775,000.

Megna, 33, most recently appeared in 41 games with the Anaheim Ducks and 14 games with the Colorado Avalanche during the 2022-23 season, tallying two goals and six assists for eight points. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound forward has played in 203 career NHL games with Anaheim, Colorado, Vancouver, N.Y. Rangers and Pittsburgh, totaling 12 goals and 21 assists for 33 points.

The Fort Lauderdale, Florida native was originally signed as a free agent by Pittsburgh in August, 2012.

Anthony Richard, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward Anthony Richard to a one-year, two-way contract with an NHL cap hit of $775,000.

Richard, 26, most recently appeared in 13 games with the Montreal Canadiens during the 2022-23 season, tallying three goals and two assists for five points with a plus-two rating. The 5-foot-11, 183-pound forward has played in 15 career NHL games with Montreal and Nashville, totaling three goals and two assists for five points.

The Trois-Rivieres, Quebec native was originally selected by Nashville in the fourth round (100th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Luke Toporowski, Forward

The Bruins have signed forward Luke Toporowski to a two-year entry-level contract with an annual NHL cap hit of $870,000.

Toporowski, 24, appeared in 47 AHL games with Providence during the 2022-23 season, tallying 15 goals and 14 assists for 29 points with a plus-8 rating.

The 5-foot-11, 183-pound, Bettendorf, Iowa native was originally signed as a free agent by Providence in June, 2022.

Parker Wotherspoon, Defenseman

The Bruins have signed defenseman Parker Wotherspoon to a one-year, two-way contract with an NHL cap hit of $775,000.

Wotherspoon, 25, most recently appeared in 12 games with the New York Islanders during the 2022-23 season, recording one assist. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound blueliner has played in 293 career AHL games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers and Bridgeport Islanders, totaling 22 goals and 86 assists for 108 points with a plus-9 rating.

The Surrey, British Columbia native was originally selected by the Islanders in the fourth round (112th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
So we're done for the day then, about what I expected, don't hate any of it. Really like the Geekie signing, everything else is one year deals for players that shouldn't block any youth and leave us with a ton of cap flexibility next season.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Wow, yuck, awful. We sign 5 guys who can realistically be expected to see significant NHL time and 4 of them are aged 31+. And this after what we saw in the playoffs with the older guys being worn down and/or injured being a major factor in our loss, while Vegas and the Avs won Cups in the last two years with lots of players in their prime.

Quite like the Geekie signing, he's a solid depth forward, and I get the nostalgia with Looch in the Centennial season. But otherwise, this is very disappointing. Understandable I suppose with the cap issues, but it's not pretty.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wow, yuck, awful. We sign 5 guys who can realistically be expected to see significant NHL time and 4 of them are aged 31+. And this after what we saw in the playoffs with the older guys being worn down and/or injured being a major factor in our loss, while Vegas and the Avs won Cups in the last two years with lots of players in their prime.

Quite like the Geekie signing, he's a solid depth forward, and I get the nostalgia with Looch in the Centennial season. But otherwise, this is very disappointing. Understandable I suppose with the cap issues, but it's not pretty.

Well , they basically are forced to be trolling in the NHL minimum bucket. you aren't going to get many 27-29 year old forwards who have shown anything in the league to sign for the minimum.

I am a bit concerned that we may see guys like Menga and Richard at the NHL level instead of a guy like Lauko and others, but for now, i am assuming these guys are going to be the vets in Providence

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
I think I know some of these guys from the beer league I played in, 20 years ago! :laugh:

I’m fine with it, any new faces other than the certified playoff mediocre gang back.

Reactions: Gordoff

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB

you'll get minimum 60 total goals out for them 5million buck. You pay Pasta 11.5 to do that. Please let that sink in

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Well , they basically are forced to be trolling in the NHL minimum bucket. you aren't going to get many 27-29 year old forwards who have shown anything in the league to sign for the minimum.

I am a bit concerned that we may see guys like Menga and Richard at the NHL level instead of a guy like Lauko and others, but for now, i am assuming these guys are going to be the vets in Providence
Pretty much everyone but Geekie can be buried in Providence with no cap hit. I think these guys were brought in to create competition in camp. They'll have no problem waiving any of these guys if Lauko or McLaughling or Steen or anyone else beats them out for a roster spot.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Looch and Reaves will be seeing a lot of each other next year.

getcha popcorn.gif

Reactions: UConn126

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
It’s certainly not ideal, but I think some of these guys can play. We’ll see what happens, I’ll cheer for them as soon as they put the sweater on.

And there’s still a little more to be done.

Reactions: bruins19

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Feels like the Red Sox 2012 off-season where it was suppose to be a rebuild but stay competitive type season and signed a bunch of name vets to short deals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad