Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Mike Reilly from Ottawa Senators in exchange for 2022 3rd-round pick

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I must admit I’m liking what I’m hearing about this guy. Sounds like a good pickup and can’t wait to see him in a Bruins uniform.
I agree, I would play him over Zboril right away. I’m not giving up on the kid but they aren’t getting enough from. Judging by this deal, management feels the same

member 96824

Hey I'm an asshole. I beat on Sweeney pretty hard over the years.

But this is where the doom-and-gloom crowd totally loses me.

No one is saying Reilly is good enough by himself. No one is claiming that he's a cinch on the top pair. He's a depth add that we needed. And a good one.

But "holy f*** a THIRD two drafts from now?? Why don't you just punch out my teeth and shit down my throat??!" This is INSANE overreaction. Sweeney needs to be fired FOR THIS TRADE?

Well said.

But I'm still trying to figure out what the first sentence has to do with the rest of the post

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
I agree, I would play him over Zboril right away. I’m not giving up on the kid but they aren’t getting enough from. Judging by this deal, management feels the same
Yeah Zboril had a good start to the season but I find that he’s been struggling lately. Glad we have a guy like Reilly that can slot right in and sounds like a guy we can put on the PP if Gryz is not back soon.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
It so reminds me of the night we got Kelly from Ottawa. After a game (tho I think we won that game) and no one here had a clue who he was for the most part, including myself. The takes were pretty hot here especially when they said it was for a 2nd rounder while Ottawa was pretty sad.

Going to go with his stats and small video sample show he's a solid upgrade and that I can't wait to see what he does when he plays.

again another revisionist history. People knew who Kelly was. Was he worth it, obviously it was, but he was a way more established player. This is just a way to say he is a good pickup, and if he isn’t oh well it’s just a third. So you set yourself in a win win situation because we don’t know who that third could be.

This guy is a depth signing, not an upgrade. Someone claiming he is some sort of 40 point player all of a sudden is just ridiculous as well. He will be in the glut of middling defensemen which we have a ton of when healthy. They need a true top 4 guy. Time left, but let’s not make this one some cerebral genius pickup by Donnie.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The people who bitch about trading draft picks are the same crowd who hate every pick Sweeney makes.

aka these people are never happy

I sense a theme here. Sweeney, not the fans....

This is simply Sweeney making his conservative, mid cost depth trade that typically is announced at 2pm on deadline day.

From last season to this season, Ottawa has actually reduced Rielly's ice time by nearly 1:30. Depth defenseman. Tomorrow is the big day where we see what we have. In team, and in our GM.

Reactions: Gordoff and nORRis8

Secord

Mar 23, 2013
Reilly has been a D-whipping boy this year in Ottawa. Surprised he netted a 3rd. I bet the first option was Gudbranson, who is from Ottawa but might not re-sign, but the price was too high for DS' taste.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
They traded for an upgrade. He will play every day. A decent upgrade on Zboril and a way better point producer then Lauzon. I like third rounders (Marchand)

Reactions: Gordoff

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
We've traded for much worst with a 3rd. His stats looks good this year, not too familiar with him but I don't see any reason yo be upset.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
To me reviews are mixed. Some say the Sens stole one from the Bruins others say he will surprise, in a good way. I am hoping for the latter...

False Start

May 8, 2018
I took some time to see how Reilly played for Ottawa. I watched every shift of last game on 4/10 vs Toronto.

• Plays on a pair with Artem Zub. Reilly is the 2nd deployed LHD behind Thomas Chabot.
  • QBs the PP2. Chabot gets PP1.
  • Deployed on the penalty kill but wasn't the first option.
  • Looks large, listed at 6'1, might be a little bigger. He always looked larger than his partner who's listed at 6'2.
  • Skating is a plus, hands are a plus, decisive player.
  • Defensively he seems to be okay. Ottawa fans said he was bad at the start of the season and was better since he was paired with Zub. Reilly likes to push guys out of the crease actively. Generally aware of covering passing lanes.
What I saw was basically a more seasoned, more decisive version, with equal skating ability to our own Jakub Zboril. All of my complaints about Zboril this season would be answered if he was able to play at the level that Reilly was in this one game I watched. A better version of Jakub Zboril is still preferably a 3rd pair / depth defenseman on this current d corp. With the injuries it'd be nice to have him somewhere in the top 4. He's experienced and is decisive with both his skating and his passing, something I think Zboril lacked greatly.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I fell asleep at around 9 this evening and woke up maybe a half hour ago. I need to do that more often I guess. I like this move, hoping it isn't the last (along with Hall and Lazar) I like. If these are the only moves? I'll wait until after 3 pm to judge the overall job done here. So far, so good.

Reactions: Alicat

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Depth. Seems like he can distribute the puck too judging from the assist totals. If he can play PP then that will save McAvoy and Gryz for even strength minutes which we need them for. I see nothing wrong with the deal, no worse than when we bring in jamokes like Greg Zanon and Mike Mottau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad