Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Mike Reilly from Ottawa Senators in exchange for 2022 3rd-round pick

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The more I read about him, the more I like it. We're buying high on a guy having a career year, but he's got more assists than any Bruins defenseman, and more points than all of them other than McAvoy. And you'd think a guy playing big minutes on a terrible Ottawa team would have a much worse +/- than -2. So he's got to be doing something right.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Good add. Surprised Reilly got a 3rd in a better draft than Brandon Montour did, but I like the add.

Reilly has played well this year for Ottawa, this guy has talent, his biggest problem has always been making the boneheaded turnovers. He will be very solid if he used on the 3rd pairing once everyone is healthy, for now he can help out on our 2nd pairing which he has been doing all year in Ottawa.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
You look at what is available on left defense and this is as good as it gets.

Maybe Merrill is better but you have to assume Boston was scouting them both and made up their minds. Obviously, they could have had Merrill for this price.

I don't have a tonne of faith in this pro scouting staff but we'll see.

Merrill is not better, Reilly has been bringing it this year and living here in Ottawa, I hate the Sens. Bruins fans will see that Reilly is a much more talented player then Merrill.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Well the NYI just picked up the other Ottawa defence man for a 7th
round conditional pick announced after ours.

Hmm..Ottawa was keeping it hush hush..a conditional flipping seventh!

Cobourne is a healthy scratch most nights, Reilly played top 4 in Ottawa , huge difference.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Reilly has been a D-whipping boy this year in Ottawa. Surprised he netted a 3rd. I bet the first option was Gudbranson, who is from Ottawa but might not re-sign, but the price was too high for DS' taste.

Incorrect, he has not been a whipping boy at all, we need to clean up all this incorrect information being put out there.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
We got the better of the two D that Ottawa traded, thought we could have had him for a 4th or maybe a 5th + Curtis Hall, but overall he will be a decent addition, certainly better than putting Ahcan in right now.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Eager to see him in this system feeding this top 6
Might fit into pp1 better than what we have currently

Reactions: Alicat

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
Not sure what Sweeney is doing. Not the greatest asset management again. They let Chara walk because of the role they offered him and they say they want to give the kids a shot. But then give up a 3rd round pick at the deadline for a depth Dman. Nothing against Reilly but Sweeney’s asset management is very questionable.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not sure what Sweeney is doing. Not the greatest asset management again. They let Chara walk because of the role they offered him and they say they want to give the kids a shot. But then give up a 3rd round pick at the deadline for a depth Dman. Nothing against Reilly but Sweeney’s asset management is very questionable.
Ha! Nope

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Have to disagree with this. Chara didn't want to accept the reduced role so he decided to leave on his own terms that was his decision. Regardless Reilly and Chara are completely different players and any GM who is in a spot to compete for the cup is always going to try and add depth throughout the lineup. Chances of that 3rd turning into anything special is slim.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
Have to disagree with this. Chara didn't want to accept the reduced role so he decided to leave on his own terms that was his decision. Regardless Reilly and Chara are completely different players and any GM who is in a spot to compete for the cup is always going to try and add depth throughout the lineup. Chances of that 3rd turning into anything special is slim.

That’s fair. However, every asset you give up has value regardless of your draft history. I guess where we differ is in regards to “competing for a cup”. I just don’t see the Bruins being a legitimate cup contender. I see very little in the system and if the Bs don’t start drafting better immediately I believe there are some lean years upcoming.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That’s a lot for a depth defensemen. Non needle mover. We’ll see how the rest of the deadline goes

Get a grip dude, a 3rd isn't a lot for him. He is
the #1 or 2 LD tonight and their best PMD
tonight and #3 PMD with everyone healthy.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
That’s fair. However, every asset you give up has value regardless of your draft history. I guess where we differ is in regards to “competing for a cup”. I just don’t see the Bruins being a legitimate cup contender. I see very little in the system and if the Bs don’t start drafting better immediately I believe there are some lean years upcoming.
Of course lean years are coming they come for every team. I don’t care about a third rd pick. Did you think Dallas was going last year. Did anybody have STL in 19.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Seems like a guy that will play in our lineup regardless of injuries. Has done well on a dumpster fire team. We needed defensive depth so looking forward to seeing what he can do. I think he’d pair nicely with Carlo.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Reilly having a real good year I like this deal a lot. He can also QB the power-play when needed, very under-rated player.

For a 3rd round pick I do this all day every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad