Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Mike Reilly from Ottawa Senators in exchange for 2022 3rd-round pick

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
again another revisionist history. People knew who Kelly was. Was he worth it, obviously it was, but he was a way more established player. This is just a way to say he is a good pickup, and if he isn’t oh well it’s just a third. So you set yourself in a win win situation because we don’t know who that third could be.

This guy is a depth signing, not an upgrade. Someone claiming he is some sort of 40 point player all of a sudden is just ridiculous as well. He will be in the glut of middling defensemen which we have a ton of when healthy. They need a true top 4 guy. Time left, but let’s not make this one some cerebral genius pickup by Donnie.

Stop it! Absolute upgrade on Zboril.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Meh. Then again how much better would this team look if they didn't screw with Chara and let Miller walk? Regardless of leaving it up to Chara or not they put themselves in the position where their captain wanted to leave.

In a vaccum a 3rd is meh. Player is a depth defenseman. So thats good I guess.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm a little surprised at how down on Zboril so many people are. I think he's been one of our better defensemen. He does get run down when the schedule is highly condensed, which leads to some sloppy play, but overall, I think he's been a bright spot this year. I think Lauzon was actually a bit more in the dog house for the penalty issues.

I think the Lauzon/Zboril debate is moot anyway. Given inevitable injury issues, it's hard to image a scenario where all 7 of our D are available. If it did happen, we could have the luxury of strategically resting Miller and creating some competition on the left side.

Great trade here.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This is a sneaky good pickup IMO, and one of 2 guys I thought we'd get.

He's under the radar because of the team he played on but he's 6'1, 200 lbs, he's mobile and offensive minded, he's on pace for 40 points and 110 hits despite 60% Dzone starts. He was a huge point producer in college and a two-time US World Junior player, and he's one of the few Senators that played well this season. In short, this is the 2nd pair PMD we've been looking for.

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton or Zboril - Miller

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

He's under the radar because of the team he played on but he's 6'1, 200 lbs, he's mobile and offensive minded, he's on pace for 40 points and 110 hits despite 60% Dzone starts. He was a huge point producer in college and a two-time US World Junior player, and he's one of the few Senators that played well this season. In short, this is the 2nd pair PMD we've been looking for.

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo

Good write up. That’s really interesting about the zone starts and production.

Reactions: Blowfish

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo

2nd pair, really? I freely admit to not really having this guy on my radar in the past - seen him play a bit but not paid much attention to him. Never stood out to me, and nothing in his stats, or his salary for that matter, is saying 'top 4 D'. Appreciate he's having a good season on a poor team, but his track record is so patchy that he's only cracked the 50 game mark in a single year once in his career. I know him as a good puck mover, which is a tick for sure and much needed by the Bruins, but that's about it. Could he really be an effective 2LD on a contending team? That feels like a tall ask.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo
I was waiting for your take on this one. No better eye for defencemen than PlayMakers.

Glad I wasn't out to lunch in really liking the move.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo

That left side is still gonna get abused and outmuscled in the playoffs. Lauzon is the only one over 200 lb by a hair. When healthy I think

Gryz -McAvoy
Lauzon - Carlo
Reilly - Miller

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo

I recall you brought him up a few days ago and I said he was probably at the top of my list for defensemen. Happy it came through!

If anyone's interested I posted some of his charts in the Advanced Stats thread last week. I think he's going to help the forwards tremendously with his transition game.

The Advanced Stats Thread

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I'm a little surprised at how down on Zboril so many people are. I think he's been one of our better defensemen. He does get run down when the schedule is highly condensed, which leads to some sloppy play, but overall, I think he's been a bright spot this year. I think Lauzon was actually a bit more in the dog house for the penalty issues.

I think the Lauzon/Zboril debate is moot anyway. Given inevitable injury issues, it's hard to image a scenario where all 7 of our D are available. If it did happen, we could have the luxury of strategically resting Miller and creating some competition on the left side.

Great trade here.
I’m not down on Zboril, I just think he’s not ready to be anymore than a bottom pair guy.

Reactions: Over the volcano

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I recall you brought him up a few days ago and I said he was probably at the top of my list for defensemen. Happy it came through!

If anyone's interested I posted some of his charts in the Advanced Stats thread last week. I think he's going to help the forwards tremendously with his transition game.

The Advanced Stats Thread

gotta love consistent improvement

Reactions: kjpm

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Peeked through the thread and didn't see anything on this: anyone have any idea how long until he plays? What are quarantine rules here?

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
mike reilly is not very good. Hockey IQ is lacking and that's not a good thing for a D man.
Too many teams is the last 3 years.

Reactions: dafoomie

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo
If he is mobile and offensive minded, then he should play with McAvoy....Gryz is much too small to play 1st pairing minutes when games get heavy playoff time....I see it...

Reilly-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo......Is Carlo coming back ?
Gryz-Miller-Zboril-

I would like Kulikov from NJ...........

member 96824

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo

I’m 1 LHD away from comfort there. Bullish on Reilly but would rather go shopping today and find someone that pushes him to 3rd pair for a real deep run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad