Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the term knee-jerk means whatever you think it means.

Sheldon Keefe was here for 5 years.
Not to mention that besides Sammy, what killed the Leafs were problems that have killed them in the last few playoff appearances... Which oddly, only appeared when Sheldon Keefe started coaching the team. But then, there appears to be a group of Leaf fans who have decided that 5 years of the same problems are entirely on the players and Keefe needs to be let off the hook because he said he took responsibility in his last press conference.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He was my top pick also, until i realized that he failed just as much with a far better 'team' than we have, so, is he really an upgrade if he cannot adapt in the playoffs and get the Canes out of the 2nd round?
The Hurricanes have made it past the first round 6 years in a row. Making it past the second round 2 of those times. The Leafs have 1 playoff round win in 9 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Rod's contract is up; it's actually not his call. And the Hurricanes owner is REALLY, REALLY cheap (apparently the holdup is that not only do they not want to pay Rod, but they don't want to pay any of his coaching staff, either).

They were really cheap on their GM salaries too, a running trend with with them it seems

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's basically done

I wouldn't even be surprised if in the next hour the Leafs twitter made it official and said the press conference is on Tuesday.

Now that Dreger & Friedman basically have unofficially confirmed it.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Not to mention that besides Sammy, what killed the Leafs were problems that have killed them in the last few playoff appearances... Which oddly, only appeared when Sheldon Keefe started coaching the team. But then, there appears to be a group of Leaf fans who have decided that 5 years of the same problems are entirely on the players and Keefe needs to be let off the hook because he said he took responsibility in his last press conference.
Maybe I have that group of people on ignore cause everything Ive read does not let Keefe off the hook and almost all are good with him being let go. The fact he took responsibility for his part shows he doesnt have his head totally in the sand unlike our core guys who didnt take responsibility.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
It's basically done

I wouldn't even be surprised if in the next hour the Leafs twitter made it official and said the press conference is on Tuesday.

Now that Dreger & Friedman basically have unofficially confirmed it.
Deal is done. They were already talking Savard joining Leafs few days ago which meant deal was agreed upon

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The Hurricanes have made it past the first round 6 years in a row. Making it past the second round 2 of those times. The Leafs have 1 playoff round win in 9 years.
That is still the easier division to get out of with weaker teams.
Even with Keefe, I'd think the Leafs would have done at least as good if they played in that division, since the Leafs tend to lose to the Cup winner or finalist every year, but, always push them to the brink, but, could never get the job done.

I love the way his teams play, and the structure, but, its getting your guys over the hump thats missing.

I'd definitely not be disappointed if we were lucky enough to get him, as he's a coach I've admired for years, but, he still may not be the 'right' coach, as he also seems to be dedicated to players. i.e. Anderson

we need a tough love coach who gets the best results out of his guys when it matters most, whomever that is.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Bissonnette called out Berube as the Leafs next coach during an intermission, and Berube's face went cold... it may have been in the works for a while.
If anyone believes this whole process has been anything other than the Leafs working backwards to paint a picture of alleged diligence, I have a bridge to sell you. It's no different than the GM "search", and that's fine so long as it works out.

Reactions: bax

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bissonnette called out Berube as the Leafs next coach during an intermission, and Berube's face went cold... it may have been in the works for a while.

Someone on twitter was saying since Berube was let go he kind of insinuated in a lot of radio / podcast hits he'd want the job.

I can't find the link or anything right now but not surprised, as much as people shit on Toronto, it's a very in demand job.

Reactions: Sypher04

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Someone on twitter was saying since Berube was let go he kind of insinuated in a lot of radio / podcast hits he'd want the job.

I can't find the link or anything right now but not surprised, as much as people shit on Toronto, it's a very in demand job.
the coach (and players) who wins the Leafs a Cup will be immortalized forever.

and with the exodus on defense and the plethora of UFA D-Men (plus our Core-4) the Leafs job, though more stressful than most, is very desirable.

Coaches must watch and salivate, thinking what they would do differently to fix any deficiencies they see, and if we can bring in these 2 D men, or add this C the team will be a legit contender.

If I was a coach, I would want to try Marner as #2C. he plays a strong 2-way game, and he'd done it in JR's, and all he would need to do is get to 50% on faceoffs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
the coach (and players) who wins the Leafs a Cup will be immortalized forever.

and with the exodus on defense and the plethora of UFA D-Men (plus our Core-4) the Leafs job, though more stressful than most, is very desirable.

Coaches must watch and salivate, thinking what they would do differently to fix any deficiencies they see, and if we can bring in these 2 D men, or add this C the team will be a legit contender.

If I was a coach, I would want to try Marner as #2C. he plays a strong 2-way game, and he'd done it in JR's, and all he would need to do is get to 50% on faceoffs.

He wasn't that good at centre in his D+1 year, they ended up putting him up with Tkachuk and Dvorak, the team was better for it.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's won the Stanley Cup in the last 5 years
He's generally well liked by his players
He's a no nonsense guy
He's intense

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm just glad it wasn't Quenneville which would have been a classless hire

Reactions: Evilhomer

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Again with Samsonov, you want him to win game 7 1-0 with all the supposed firepower we have? What killed them is the core players are as soft as butter. That will not change with the new coach. book it. We have to change the core as well, not just a coach. People think Berube is here now, we will make a deep run. That's horse shit. This team is not going anywhere with the same core + tweaking around the periphery again.

• Love
Reactions: mikeyz and WTFMAN99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad