Management Bruce Cassidy III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I have no problem with giving Halak the rest of the night off and letting Vladar get bludgeoned

A) we got to see if we caught lightning in a bottle with Vladar + give him a little taste

b) halak needs as much rest as humanly possible

c) might as well try to spark something in the team
I'm with you. I do have an issue with the players on the ice not giving the young kid some semblance of defense in front of him. I get it the game is largely out of control, but you've got to tighten up the defense at some point and then was as good a time as any. Hope they apologized to the kid in the room after the game.

Reactions: CDJ and Blowfish

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I guess I’ll post here because the postgame thread was locked...

The good news is that last night’s game only counts as one loss.

My worst fear is being realized: this team is mentally soft. Tampa Bay wants it more. That much is evident. They play with confidence, passion, and energy. The Bruins looked tentative and nervous. Coach Cassidy absolutely needs to talk with his captains about this because the season is dying.

The Bruins have enough talent to grind out a win in this series, but it’s clear they don’t have the stomach to do what’s necessary to make that happen. We saw it in the Final last year, and we’re seeing it again. I am NOT saying someone needs to go out there and put his elbow in Kucherov’s ear, but the entire Bruins roster doesn’t seem interested in making Tampa Bay pay a price for their wins. Cassidy needs to light a fire under this team.

The officials are another story, but I’m pretty fed up with them, too.

I wish I could like this post more than once because I think it nails the Bruins' problem right on the head.

Yes TB is for the most part bigger than Boston. But like that old saying, it isn't how big the dog is, it is how big the fight in the dog is. Right now the Bruins are playing like French Poodles instead of Pit Bulls. It's awful to watch. I'm not talking about gooning it up, I'm talking about what @rfournier103 is saying- the Bruins will not make the Bolts pay dearly every time they get near the puck. OTOH TB is absolutely bullying the Bruins from one end of the ice to the other on every shift. They know there will be zero pushback from the Bruins.

I don't know the reason for this lack of pushback- whether the coaching staff has told the players to stay out of the box at all costs (in which case they need to be looking for new jobs) or the players themselves just don't want it badly enough to put TB in its place when they start their BS. I do know it needs to be fixed right the hell now or their final shot at winning the Cup with this group will be over in 2 more games.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
i dont like cassidy's decision to try and change the line up to match what the lightning might bring

the bruins have better success when they play THEIR game and dictate the terms

they took away guys that will play with more energy and have better puck skills for guys that might give you more oomph physically and "veteran" prescence

but that completely back fired. Ritchie has been trash and the move to 7 d last night was awful. was cliffy playing? was he injured. if not, terrible choice to sit him. Also, this team really missed kuraly. I think our playoff record without him is pretty bad. would love to see someone figure that out

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I guess I’ll post here because the postgame thread was locked...

The good news is that last night’s game only counts as one loss.

My worst fear is being realized: this team is mentally soft. Tampa Bay wants it more. That much is evident. They play with confidence, passion, and energy. The Bruins looked tentative and nervous. Coach Cassidy absolutely needs to talk with his captains about this because the season is dying.

The Bruins have enough talent to grind out a win in this series, but it’s clear they don’t have the stomach to do what’s necessary to make that happen. We saw it in the Final last year, and we’re seeing it again. I am NOT saying someone needs to go out there and put his elbow in Kucherov’s ear, but the entire Bruins roster doesn’t seem interested in making Tampa Bay pay a price for their wins. Cassidy needs to light a fire under this team.

The officials are another story, but I’m pretty fed up with them, too.

Even TB coach Cooper seems to want this more then Cassidy. I have never seen him this animated on the bench, meanwhile I wonder if Cassidy even has a pulse.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I'd love for them to try Seny on that 3rd line. Nothing is clicking there, he might be one of the only guys that matches Coyle's speed and he can maybe chip in a goal. I'll bet instead we get Kuhlman though.

Bjork-Coyle-Senyshyn was a great 3rd line. I feel like this doesn't get talked about enough. But you're right, we are absolutely getting Kuhlman tomorrow. Bruce loves switching things up with the same mediocre players

Reactions: Blowfish

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
think hes talking about having john moore in there.
bonehead move.
just use same lineup as game 5 against carolina.no brainer
I would think so. Why change the winning line up.

He went with the same line up that won game one , lost game 3 2 in OT.

No matter what line up Cassidy goes with he is going to be up against a much deeper and skilled 12 forwards when playing Tbay.

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
i dont like cassidy's decision to try and change the line up to match what the lightning might bring

the bruins have better success when they play THEIR game and dictate the terms

they took away guys that will play with more energy and have better puck skills for guys that might give you more oomph physically and "veteran" prescence

but that completely back fired. Ritchie has been trash and the move to 7 d last night was awful. was cliffy playing? was he injured. if not, terrible choice to sit him. Also, this team really missed kuraly. I think our playoff record without him is pretty bad. would love to see someone figure that out

With / without Kuraly in the playoffs…I don’t necessarily think this means a lot but you are correct.

2016-2017 with 2-2
2016-2017 without 0-2

2017-2018 with 5-7
2017-2018 without 0-0

2018-2019 with 15-6
2018-2019 without 1-2

2019-2020 with 5-5
2019-2020 without 0-1

Totals:

With 27-20
Without 1-5

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I wish I could like this post more than once because I think it nails the Bruins' problem right on the head.

Yes TB is for the most part bigger than Boston. But like that old saying, it isn't how big the dog is, it is how big the fight in the dog is. Right now the Bruins are playing like French Poodles instead of Pit Bulls. It's awful to watch. I'm not talking about gooning it up, I'm talking about what @rfournier103 is saying- the Bruins will not make the Bolts pay dearly every time they get near the puck. OTOH TB is absolutely bullying the Bruins from one end of the ice to the other on every shift. They know there will be zero pushback from the Bruins.

I don't know the reason for this lack of pushback- whether the coaching staff has told the players to stay out of the box at all costs (in which case they need to be looking for new jobs) or the players themselves just don't want it badly enough to put TB in its place when they start their BS. I do know it needs to be fixed right the hell now or their final shot at winning the Cup with this group will be over in 2 more games.
Macalvy, Chara, Carlo, Marchand, Bergevin, Pasta, Ritchie, Kase, Coyle , Kretchi Kuraly, Grezlyk ....dont fit the "playing like french poodles" you are claiming. But you are right that everybody has to be pulling on that rope..............like the lightening are now.

Tbay 1 thru 18 are deeper, bigger and more physical. Yep

They also have a number one goalie playing. Yep.

And yet were an inch away from being down 2-0 in the series.

The Bs may have been in first when the season was shut down. But fact is, they were the under dog in this series from the get go.

Bring on game four !

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
With / without Kuraly in the playoffs…I don’t necessarily think this means a lot but you are correct.

2016-2017 with 2-2
2016-2017 without 0-2

2017-2018 with 5-7
2017-2018 wtihout 0-0

2018-2019 with15-6
2018-2019 without 1-2

2019-2020 with 5-5
2019-2020 without 0-1

Totals:

With 27-20
Without 1-5

yea i figured it was something like this

kuraly stirs the drink on the 4th and much like wagner, gives you big goals when they bruins need one and their stars are getting shut out. more to the point, when hes out, it causes a cascade effect up the line up

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You simply can't come back with the same roster as last night.

I'm thinking you need some fresh legs and desire inserted.
I agree with this. Carlo,and Moore can take a seat on D. Try Zboril with McAvoy, Chara, Lauzon, Clifton and Grizz or Carlo. Keep Bjork sitting, he brings little, sit Ritchie and Kase. Put in Studnicka, Frederic and why not try Senyshyn, he is fast and some size.

Play guys who want to be there and want to keep playing. They cannot be worse that that **** show last night

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What was up with the indecision going to Vladar last night? When you pull a goalie, you usually want to provide a spark and try to stop the bleeding immediately. For whatever reason Cassidy dragged it out until the TV timeout. It seemed like he wanted to give Vladar a bit more time to warm up, but that seems like a loser mentality where you're just communicating to the goalie that you don't have trust in him. Just so awkward to watch Vladar in full gear staring over at the bench for so long.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Bruins were so lax coming out of the round robin and when other teams had turned it on they did not. I peg this purely on the coach not downplaying or allowing his players to downplay the round robin.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
You simply can't come back with the same roster as last night.

I'm thinking you need some fresh legs and desire inserted.
If the team wants to be competitive, I agree. But the blame should be directed at the guy who has made poor free agent signings, trades, and blew 2 picks (and reached for an inferior and inconsistent player on his one “hit”) in a generational draft. Cassidy is just coaching the team he has been dealt.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If the team wants to be competitive, I agree. But the blame should be directed at the guy who has made poor free agent signings, trades, and blew 2 picks (and reached for an inferior and inconsistent player on his one “hit”) in a generational draft. Cassidy is just coaching the team he has been dealt.

I agree.

He does excel at contracts....

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The only justification to firing Bruce outside of the top notch coaches who are currently unemployed is in direct response to his handling of training camp and round robin.

That said, I'd like for them to keep him because I think he's a good coach and the guys genuinely like and respect him.

With all the change coming, keeping him also provides stability and right now, stability is needed more than ever.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Outside of Bruce, do people think there could be changes to the assistant coaches?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I still think he’s a good coach so it would be weird seeing him go. Unless the players didn’t like the message anymore.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'd be stunned if he was fired. They blew away the league this season and were it not for the shutdown they'd have been prohibitive Cup favorites. I don't think you can really pin the way this ended on him. His #1 goalie goes home mid-playoffs (presumably for an emergency, and certainly for golf), his aging d-man who still logs minutes has nothing in the legs after the layoff, etc. Not stuff the coach can really control.

I think people are overthinking where to "pin blame" here. Rask screwed them over, and the defense was just manhandled down low. We knew they were too small, and with Krug likely out the door, we can expect they'll address that. I think they'll be ready to go and excellent again next year.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think it would be highly disingenuous for Sweeney to build a flawed roster and then hang it on Cassidy after he took that roster with key holes and coached it up to be one of the best teams in the league. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. It's that laughable.
Let's not forget we also had Halak in net instead of Rask. Not sure how anyone could seriously blame Bruce for the team having no depth.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Let's not forget we also had Halak in net instead of Rask. Not sure how anyone could seriously blame Bruce for the team having no depth.

Exactly. Still no second line wing to play with DK and JDB, and 2 4th lines to go with the perfection line. It is and has been a one line team for a handful of years now. You stop the top line from producing, you can win walking away because they have zero secondary scoring at all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Cassidy has really two flaws IMO

1) Doesn't get emotional enough behind the bench. When McAvoy got creamed last night and there wasn't even a penalty called, he should of lost it at the refs. Not just to get his point across to the refs, but to fire up his guys, get them angry as well, and show your players you have their backs. You can't do it all the time, it would wear thin quickly, but there is a time and place and Cassidy never takes advantage of it. Last night wasn't the first time.

2) Gets too stuck into his "template" for his forward groups. He'll switch things up mid-game, but game-to-game rarely moves away from his template where lines 2 and 3 see movement but lines 1 and 4 are immune to much in the way of change. Nick Ritchie was a prime example. Not skilled enough for the top 6, not defensively sound enough for the 4th line, so he's left with placing him on Line 3. When the reality is the Nick Ritchie we saw should be a 4th line winger under 10 mins. a night, but Cassidy puts too much reliance on the 4th line to the detriment of lines 2 and 3.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Exactly. Still no second line wing to play with DK and JDB, and 2 4th lines to go with the perfection line. It is and has been a one line team for a handful of years now. You stop the top line from producing, you can win walking away because they have zero secondary scoring at all.

It's funny...we disagree on the "no 2nd line wing to play with DK". I thought Kase was a dramatically better hockey player than DeBrusk in these playoffs. He didn't finish, and that's a real concern as I thought that was his calling card, but he had the puck on his stick and made way more plays than JDB. DeBrusk did his usual dominate one game, take 3 off, dominate ha;lf a game, take 2 off, etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think it would be highly disingenuous for Sweeney to build a flawed roster and then hang it on Cassidy after he took that roster with key holes and coached it up to be one of the best teams in the league. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. It's that laughable.

The crying about Cassidy being a bad coach and how he should be fired is embarrassing. I really wish people could be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad