Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't think anybody is blaming, I think it's fair to give opinions on the Cassidy and Babcock matchup
Just defend your position by pointing out what Babcock has done. Has his team outplayed Cassidy’s in any game? Have they limited Boston’s chances? Have they matched Boston’s chances?

Give me one game where you think Toronto outplayed Boston overall. I don’t remember one. I’d give them the 2nd period in Game 1, the 1st period in Game 5 and maybe the 3rd period last night. But that’s it. They’ve outplayed Boston in 3 of 18 periods. Maybe throw in a few tied periods. That doesn’t paint the picture of a coaching clinic in favor of Toronto. Quite honestly we might not be giving enough credit to Cassidy for just how badly his team has outperformed Toronto. But for their goalie this series is long over by now.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You may not like the roster last night but we dominated that game. Should have had several goals but didn't close. Toronto did.

Danton Heinen had a great rookie year and he's going to be a good one. He also hit the rookie wall like a mack truck going 90 mph.

77 games, 47 points? Superb. Unfortunately 30 of those came in the first 4o games of the season. He had a total of 10 points over last 30 games of the season and been shutout in 5 playoff games. Cassidy gave him a long leash (saying he earned the right to play out of the funk -- and he was right) but in PO's chose to sit him. Good coaching IMO.

Heinen and Donato (very overmatched in PO game he was in) are examples of why it's hard to have so much youth in a lineup. The decision to put a veteran in and to spread the lines out was a good move IMO.

The only noticeable thing that has happened in the Toronto lineup is that Tomas Plecanek has found a pulse. It pains me to say but he's played well defensively and offensively. But please don't blow smoke at me and suggest that has anything to do with Babcock.

Leafs had a goal taken away and rask stopped a few breakaways at the end. Bruins really didn't cycle that well. Not a game Id say the Bruins dominated

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Breaking up Rick Nash from Krejci made no sense for me. I don't understand why Cassidy couldn't try Pastrnak with Debrusk and Krejci instead of Wingels most of the time. He could have put marchand-bergeron-Rick nash / debrusk-krejci-pastrnak at some point. Summary of last night: shut down Boston's first line and they have nothing else.

If that's the case, this team really isn't that good.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
so you missed where he bumped Plekanec up to the 2nd line to get Marner going AND try to stop our top line...and it worked.

Plekanec has stopped the Bergeron line dead
Marner has 8 points in the last 5 games

Not sure that was as much good coaching by Babcock as it was Nazim Kadri demonstrating just how incredibly stupid he is on the ice and off.

I don't know, but I'm not sure Plekanec (the assessment of I agree with 100%) plays such a big role without Babcock being forced to juggle his lineup due to Kadri having an IQ of about 39.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
When lines or players aren't working for whatever reason during the game, you make changes. When the other team is constantly using a line to shut urs down, and it's working ... you make changes. Babcock did. Cassidy does not. The only bruins line that was generating anything offensively was Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line. When that is happening, sometimes you need to take one player off and put him on another line to try to energize that line. Babcock did it in Game 4 and 5.

They are generating a TON of chances. They don’t finish. They either take forever to get a shot off or overthink it and try to be too cute.

That’s in the players head. We’ve seen this before. If they are getting these chances, the gameplan is not wrong. He cannot execute for them.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Leafs had a goal taken away and rask stopped a few breakaways at the end. Bruins really didn't cycle that well. Not a game Id say the Bruins dominated
Come on man, you know the game better than that.

1) A goal taken away for legitimate reasons is not a goal. Using that logic then this game was tight at 2-1 until the empty net goal -- which of course made the whole thing a comfortable semi-blowout.

2) Pressing due to being down a goal at the end of the game against a long ball team like Toronto will obviously increase the chances of late odd man rushes.

If you didn't feel the Bruins should have been up by a couple at the end of the first then we're going to agree to disagree. Hell, even Leafs fans on main boards were saying Leafs got out of that period by the skin of their teeth.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
When lines or players aren't working for whatever reason during the game, you make changes. When the other team is constantly using a line to shut urs down, and it's working ... you make changes. Babcock did. Cassidy does not. The only bruins line that was generating anything offensively was Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line. When that is happening, sometimes you need to take one player off and put him on another line to try to energize that line. Babcock did it in Game 4 and 5.
You need to watch the games a bit closer. There were several line movements last night.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Last I checked each coach has 3 wins. Cassidy coached his team to 2-0 then 3-1. He gets no credit for that?

And no I have no issues with the roster selection. Who did you want in there? Wingels did nothing, which is exactly what Heinen has done. And exactly what Donato did in his game in there. If you want to see more Donato I’m fine with that, but if you actually think that’s a major decision that somehow casts Cassidy in a bad light next to Babcock I don’t know what to tell you.

Babcock’s team has been outplayed every game, often badly. Do you dispute that? Has he found a way to shut down Boston’s attack, or have they just not finished on a ton of great chances? Has he found a way to counter their attack with equal offensive chances? Again, not even close. The only thing I credit him with is starting Freddy Anderson, and that was a no-brainer.
pretty much how I see it as well

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins outshot the Leafs 162-82 last two games and many were excellent chances- Toronto had their chances but overall the Bruins have been outplayed one game and they won that one

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

It's fair to say they haven't dominated but neither have the Leafs. On a balance scale, I would say that while it hasn't been dominant in the sense that it was a game of keep away, they have had the better of the Leafs. If you look at scoring chances in the last 2 games alone it's basically a 3/1 ratio in the Bruins favor.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
By solid you mean the whole 2 goals in 22 playoff games.

Wingels is a plug, and has zero business on a scoring line.

I'm disappointed in Sweeney and Cassidy. Sweeney for giving Cassidy plugs like Wingels to dress, and Cassidy for dressing plugs like Wingels. I thought Cassidy was smarter than that.
I'd have kept Heinen in and Wingels on the scoring line was more to get Nash on the left side and try and get him going- I thought the Nash line was pretty good

The Bergeron line was dominant puck possession but they acted like they were the Red Army 1972 line with all this extra passing and dipsy doo's....they will be better next game

Frederic Andersson better hope he gets that horse shoe through customs

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It's fair to say they haven't dominated but neither have the Leafs. On a balance scale, I would say that while it hasn't been dominant in the sense that it was a game of keep away, they have had the better of the Leafs. If you look at scoring chances in the last 2 games alone it's basically a 3/1 ratio in the Bruins favor.

shots were 33-30 last night, Bruins had 6 PP's the previous game and the leafs played a pretty decent road game. Game 2 was the most dominant IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd have kept Heinen in and Wingels on the scoring line was more to get Nash on the left side and try and get him going- I thought the Nash line was pretty good

The Bergeron line was dominant puck possession but they acted like they were the Red Army 1972 line with all this extra passing and dipsy doo's....they will be better next game

Frederic Andersson better hope he gets that horse shoe through customs

I liked the change of Nash with Backes. Liked it even more when they shifted Riley down and Kuraly up. Thought it was a good change.

The Bergeron line is guilty of over-passing. That rush late on Bergeron's semi-breakaway where he got it to Pasta and Pasta went for the extra pass told the whole story.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I liked the change of Nash with Backes. Liked it even more when they shifted Riley down and Kuraly up. Thought it was a good change.

The Bergeron line is guilty of over-passing. That rush late on Bergeron's semi-breakaway where he got it to Pasta and Pasta went for the extra pass told the whole story.

Or pasta toe drag nonsense.... just shoot it

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Couldn't agree more. Pasta is the biggest culprit in my opinion, and that toe drag that got blocked is another example. Just seems like he's snakebitten and thus every chance he gets he tries to improve the chance rather than just shooting it.

The name of the game in Game 7, IMO, will be getting the puck to the net quicker. Stop waiting around and giving them time to block shots, and stop pretending you're facing Patrick Roy in his prime. Get pucks to the net and drive for rebounds. David Backes has goals in this series and he's three zones behind the pace of play! That proves the simple adage - ugly goals win.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Couldn't agree more. Pasta is the biggest culprit in my opinion, and that toe drag that got blocked is another example. Just seems like he's snakebitten and thus every chance he gets he tries to improve the chance rather than just shooting it.

The name of the game in Game 7, IMO, will be getting the puck to the net quicker. Stop waiting around and giving them time to block shots, and stop pretending you're facing Patrick Roy in his prime. Get pucks to the net and drive for rebounds. David Backes has goals in this series and he's three zones behind the pace of play! That proves the simple adage - ugly goals win.

Yup, always trying to make that one extra pass or one extra move.

Krug is another example. Every time he shoots he wants to blow it past he goaltender with the big clapper, when often just a simple quick low wrister would suffice. That extra split second is enough time for the Leaf wingers to get out on him, or get in a shooting lane, or for Andersen to square up to the shot.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yup, always trying to make that one extra pass or one extra move.

Krug is another example. Every time he shoots he wants to blow it past he goaltender with the big clapper, when often just a simple quick low wrister would suffice. That extra split second is enough time for the Leaf wingers to get out on him, or get in a shooting lane, or for Andersen to square up to the shot.

Yeah I've been massively disappointed with Krug and I think he's largely escaped criticism. From getting caught up in the play to taking way too long to get the puck to the net to getting beat on the boards nightly, he's been part of a very disappointing blue line in this series.

And that reminds me...McAvoy is awful out there. I know it's gotta be due to injury, and you gotta feel for the guy, but he's a liability at this point. He doesn't do anything for us offensively and he's clearly lost a lot of mobility on defense. Even if they escape this series you have to think it's a matter of time before having your best dman a shell of himself catches up to you.

Reactions: hoss75

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I've been massively disappointed with Krug and I think he's largely escaped criticism. From getting caught up in the play to taking way too long to get the puck to the net to getting beat on the boards nightly, he's been part of a very disappointing blue line in this series.

And that reminds me...McAvoy is awful out there. I know it's gotta be due to injury, and you gotta feel for the guy, but he's a liability at this point. He doesn't do anything for us offensively and he's clearly lost a lot of mobility on defense. Even if they escape this series you have to think it's a matter of time before having your best dman a shell of himself catches up to you.

He hasn't been good, I've avoided the GDTs during game time, so I'm not sure if he's been called out for pretty lousy play.

His best assets is his skating, and his injury has taken that away a bit. His lateral mobility looks decent, but his first-step and pivots look to be impacted by his knee (and the brace he's wearing). He played like a No.1 RD before his injury, now him being less than 100% and compounded by the loss of Carlo, the Bruins are having a real tough time on the back-end since the beginning of April.

Carlo's loss has impacted Krug IMO. Not from the point of having to cover for him. But now Krug has to skate and carry the puck a lot more than he did with Carlo as his partner. And I think that added workload is wearing him down somewhat.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

The first goal was his guy and the second goal (called back) he had trouble containing Matthews wide. It really is tough to watch him struggle; makes me appreciate what Couturier did even more.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
What a really poor view of what's happening. Bergy's line had 12 shots on net,they are dominant,a lot! But because they are down low,controlling the game so much,they get caught if there is any giveaway or mishandle or simply losing the puck. Their offensive zone time is absolutely dominant. If they were converting at 15% (season average) they would have 4 goals in the last 2 games. The problem is they are not converting at their average,not that they are not playing good defense. Now,here we go with Krejic who has been awful,7 shots on net in 6 games and he and his linemates have totaled 30. Bergy's line has 64 with 7 hit posts. Why are the Bruins losing? Inability to convert the last 2 games by the first line, and then everyone else,not poor play.

On the contrary, The poor view here is your failure to understand the difference between playoff hockey and hockey. First off, anyone who follows the game, would never assume players will convert at their usual average. This is the playoffs. No player converts offensively in the playoffs as much as they do in the regular season. Anyone knows that. That said the Bergie line has not adjusted its game while the Leafs have made adjustments on them. They have taken away the Bergeron Bumper shot and Pass. That down low controlling you refer to, Is fine with Toronto as they clamp down the middle and take away rebounds. While Pasta and Bergie and Marchy cycle down low tiring themselves and while Toronto then passing the stretch passes up ice while Bergie and company are coming out of ineffective down low perimiter cycles....Your Krejci point is left field, He has as many points as Bergie with all those less shots. Because his line has been somewhat defensively responsible. Nash when with him prevented at least two possible goals. The Krejci line was plus two last night. They are not scoring but are not getting scored on either. The same cant be said for the top line. They were brutal on that last PP last night. Marchand is turning the puc over, missing passes....Inability to convert is by Toronto design.......They are giving them a little and taking away alot and the Bergie line is not adjusting. These are the playoffs, the playoffs are about adjustments when you face someone 7 times they adjust to your strengths, Toronto has done it.....We have not.......

I would put Rick Nash with Bergie and Marchand and put Pasta with Krejci and DeBrusk. NASH will go in front of the net while Pasta does not. Toronto will have to adjust to that and drop down from the Bergie coverage and free him abit.......Pasta would give us a stretch pass threat and with Krejci passing it Toronto would have to respect that......HOWEVER, It is too late in the series for something drastic like this....

But Cassidy needs to do something with Bergie line and their approach....Minus 17 in the three losses is brutal. And anyone who knows how great they played all year should know that if they are minus 17 in three games that we just lost, They are doing something wrong.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Krug on the ice for 8 out of the last 11 goals given up

This one is on Cassidy for keep putting him out there vs Marner

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
shots were 33-30 last night, Bruins had 6 PP's the previous game and the leafs played a pretty decent road game. Game 2 was the most dominant IMO.
Bruins had a 4-0 lead in game two not playing close to how they played in first two periods last night

Law of averages

Bruins vs Tampa a lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad