Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
On the contrary, The poor view here is your failure to understand the difference between playoff hockey and hockey. First off, anyone who follows the game, would never assume players will convert at their usual average. This is the playoffs. No player converts offensively in the playoffs as much as they do in the regular season. Anyone knows that. That said the Bergie line has not adjusted its game while the Leafs have made adjustments on them. They have taken away the Bergeron Bumper shot and Pass. That down low controlling you refer to, Is fine with Toronto as they clamp down the middle and take away rebounds. While Pasta and Bergie and Marchy cycle down low tiring themselves and while Toronto then passing the stretch passes up ice while Bergie and company are coming out of ineffective down low perimiter cycles....Your Krejci point is left field, He has as many points as Bergie with all those less shots. Because his line has been somewhat defensively responsible. Nash when with him prevented at least two possible goals. The Krejci line was plus two last night. They are not scoring but are not getting scored on either. The same cant be said for the top line. They were brutal on that last PP last night. Marchand is turning the puc over, missing passes....Inability to convert is by Toronto design.......They are giving them a little and taking away alot and the Bergie line is not adjusting. These are the playoffs, the playoffs are about adjustments when you face someone 7 times they adjust to your strengths, Toronto has done it.....We have not.......

I would put Rick Nash with Bergie and Marchand and put Pasta with Krejci and DeBrusk. NASH will go in front of the net while Pasta does not. Toronto will have to adjust to that and drop down from the Bergie coverage and free him abit.......Pasta would give us a stretch pass threat and with Krejci passing it Toronto would have to respect that......HOWEVER, It is too late in the series for something drastic like this....

But Cassidy needs to do something with Bergie line and their approach....Minus 17 in the three losses is brutal. And anyone who knows how great they played all year should know that if they are minus 17 in three games that we just lost, They are doing something wrong.

Once and for all,they are not losing because of defense!!!! Bergeron,Marchand and Pastrnak and Krejci and Nash are all exceeding their reg season PPG numbers and their shots per game numbers. But they are all below their S% numbers. They have hit 7 posts. They scored 1 goal last night! Only way to win with that score is by allowing ZERO! The problem is conversion,not +-,not defense,not lack of 3 zone play,not Toronto's game plan,that's ridiculous. If the Bruins lose this series it's because of missed opportunities. I can't even read your blather anymore,it's pure rubbish,in my opinion.

Reactions: Number8

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
After 6 games the coaching staff still has not come up with a way to counter Toronto's stretch passes. They have less than 24 hours left to figure it out.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
After 6 games the coaching staff still has not come up with a way to counter Toronto's stretch passes. They have less than 24 hours left to figure it out.
IMO Toronto’s stretch passes were not remotely a factor last night. We should have put the game away in first and did not. Then, to add insult to injury, we had a huge let down seconds after breaking the ice giving away momentum.

This series has nothing to do with coaching - it’s all on our inability to convert great opportunities.

Anderson has been good, but we’ve made him look great.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
IMO Toronto’s stretch passes were not remotely a factor last night. We should have put the game away in first and did not. Then, to add insult to injury, we had a huge let down seconds after breaking the ice giving away momentum.

This series has nothing to do with coaching - it’s all on our inability to convert great opportunities.

if Anderson never played like he has this series would have been over.....so bring it boston bring it!!!! game7 loud and hostile

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Most succinct and correct post I've seen about the series yet

Reactions: Number8

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
When you think about it...annoying Plekanec , Marner, Marleau line is always on when Bergeron line is on (either ends). Its been far worst in the offensive end so far if players are stuck in the offensive end and marner, reilly are off to the races the other way around

And krug becomes a dead duck on the defensive end.

So Cassidy since the start of the season and this series (no different) has offense as #1 priority vs matchups/balance

I would have from game 5 or 6 kept rolling out Kuraly line vs Marner to neutralize him. Be physical against him. Render Plekanec useless

Then play Bergeron line against their weaker 3rd and 4th lines

This is a form of matchup adv. Instead Cassidy keeps rolling out Bergeron vs Plekanec line (home or away).

If Bergeron line is neutralized again (Krug burnt)... this would be the matchup Cassidy messed up to take adv of

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
When you think about it...annoying Plekanec , Marner, Marleau line is always on when Bergeron line is on (either ends). Its been far worst in the offensive end so far if players are stuck in the offensive end and marner, reilly are off to the races the other way around

And krug becomes a dead duck on the defensive end.

So Cassidy since the start of the season and this series (no different) has offense as #1 priority vs matchups/balance

I would have from game 5 or 6 kept rolling out Kuraly line vs Marner to neutralize him. Be physical against him. Render Plekanec useless

Then play Bergeron line against their weaker 3rd and 4th lines

This is a form of matchup adv. Instead Cassidy keeps rolling out Bergeron vs Plekanec line (home or away).

If Bergeron line is neutralized again (Krug burnt)... this would be the matchup Cassidy messed up to take adv of

This is right on IMO. It has me nervous that Cassidy has openly said there is no need for adjustments and that the team has to execute. I think the top line might be burnt out, Krug too. I hope this is a ruse, which it might well be, and that there are actually adjustments being made. In a best of 7 NHL series adjustments are huge, you adjust or die. Babcock made adjustments to get his team back in the series and now we have to adjust in order to finish it. We need alot more traffic in front of Anderson, he has had too easy a time seeing the puck.

Reactions: rocketdan9

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
This is right on IMO. It has me nervous that Cassidy has openly said there is no need for adjustments and that the team has to execute. I think the top line might be burnt out, Krug too. I hope this is a ruse, which it might well be, and that there are actually adjustments being made. In a best of 7 NHL series adjustments are huge, you adjust or die. Babcock made adjustments to get his team back in the series and now we have to adjust in order to finish it. We need alot more traffic in front of Anderson, he has had too easy a time seeing the puck.
The only adjustment they need to make is to start scoring. They have attempted 123 shots to Toronto's 67 the last 2 games. Toronto has blocked 48 shots!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Cassidy is all about tomorrow...yesterday? Whats that

you can hear it when players speak...say all the same thing. "We don't worry about what happened previously" " You wait all your life for this moment" etc...sigh

Imagine if Sweeney calls him into the office for a brief on what went wrong

Cassidy: No point of worrying about that. Lets look forward to next season

=T

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Once and for all,they are not losing because of defense!!!! Bergeron,Marchand and Pastrnak and Krejci and Nash are all exceeding their reg season PPG numbers and their shots per game numbers. But they are all below their S% numbers. They have hit 7 posts. They scored 1 goal last night! Only way to win with that score is by allowing ZERO! The problem is conversion,not +-,not defense,not lack of 3 zone play,not Toronto's game plan,that's ridiculous. If the Bruins lose this series it's because of missed opportunities. I can't even read your blather anymore,it's pure rubbish,in my opinion.
On the other hand they were not that good in their zone with puck management. Pasternak is playing a pond game. He will score at the same past put on the Nash and Backes line.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I hate tell this to the only one that knows hockey here, but Plekanec is the reason the first line is struggling. He gives Bergeron fits. The only reason they traded for him was Bergeron. Look at the first two games with out him, and compare the last 5 games.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Cassidy outcoached babcock last night. when the bruins were down 4-3 they kept playing when the leafs were down 5-4 they were
lost and the leaf coaching staff had the dear in the headlights look.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Cassidy outcoached babcock last night. when the bruins were down 4-3 they kept playing when the leafs were down 5-4 they were
lost and the leaf coaching staff had the dear in the headlights look.

I think what the difference was is that Cassidy stuck to what he said prior to game 7 which was he was going to trust in the guys who got them here and when they came out for the 3rd, we didn`t see him panic, shifting players up and down the lineup, we saw him stick to his plan, keep the lines intact and let em` go

I don`t think he "outcoached" Babcock, what I do think happened is Babcock, like many coaches, just put all his trust in the hands of a chosen few and it backfired. One of the Leafs strengths over the year is that they were able to employ 4 lines with all 4 able to do offensive damage, he abandoned this in the 3rd and the biggest issue for Babcock is he`s so committed to matching lines whereas Butch typically just taps the next line who`s due out on the ice on the shoulder

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This was really good, and felt very truthful analysis by Cassidy. For those expecting to see Donato playing, I wouldn't get your hopes up because he likely won't be in there barring injury.

OR Bruins inability to score goals

If this happens (no injuries) expecting a lineup of

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Donato
Nash Nash Heinen
Acciari Kuraly Backes

Reactions: LSCII

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I think what the difference was is that Cassidy stuck to what he said prior to game 7 which was he was going to trust in the guys who got them here and when they came out for the 3rd, we didn`t see him panic, shifting players up and down the lineup, we saw him stick to his plan, keep the lines intact and let em` go

I don`t think he "outcoached" Babcock, what I do think happened is Babcock, like many coaches, just put all his trust in the hands of a chosen few and it backfired. One of the Leafs strengths over the year is that they were able to employ 4 lines with all 4 able to do offensive damage, he abandoned this in the 3rd and the biggest issue for Babcock is he`s so committed to matching lines whereas Butch typically just taps the next line who`s due out on the ice on the shoulder

I agree. What I've heard is that Matthews was simply frustrated at constantly being pulled after 20 seconds to accommodate match-ups. Young players just want to play. The experts on this board can decide the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->