Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Cassidy simply out-coached Babcock. Cassidy is easily the best coach in the NHL.

But, but, but, who can they EVER find to replace Claude? Surely there's nobody capable of doing that...

That was always the funniest part of the strawman argument to not fire a guy that had clearly stayed past his freshness date. Truth is, Cassidy is exactly what they needed. He's worked youth and skill into the lineup and the team and it's fans have benefited from it tremendously.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
But, but, but, who can they EVER find to replace Claude? Surely there's nobody capable of doing that...

That was always the funniest part of the strawman argument to not fire a guy that had clearly stayed past his freshness date. Truth is, Cassidy is exactly what they needed. He's worked youth and skill into the lineup and the team and it's fans have benefited from it tremendously.
Yeah, that and the Bruins are cheap so they went in-house and hired Cassidy.

Reactions: LSCII

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Playoff Series wins the last 9 years

Babcock 3
Cassidy 1

Babcock is very overrated and Cassidy out coached him

Good to see love me some Bruce Cassidy

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I absolutely hated that argument so much. In all team sports, even the best coaches get stuck in trusting what has worked for them in the past, when in a bind, when the going gets tough, but the games are always evolving and there is only one coach that I have seen in any sport that embraces this aspect of the game, and he's been rewarded with more Super Bowls than anyone. It was time for Claude in 2014, but okay, give him another shot, then the DNQ and he should have been let go. Another DNQ, no f'ing way. And on pace for yet another? And still people saying he couldn't be replaced? There was no one better? Get out of here.

Cassidy picked up the team from the get go. And this season had to juggle so many injuries, not just to some depth guys, not just one or two at a time, not just for a long stretch, but key guys in and out of the lineup, sometimes as many as 6-7 starters, Def Forward Goalie, for multiple stretches throughout the season. And to have them play at such a high level since November with only a blip at the very end of a crazy schedule? Remarkable job.

Reactions: FanSince72

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Not sure the run and gun style is gonna fly here. It's wild how unresponsible so many players are defensively. And this dates back to before the playoffs.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

Babcock 3
Cassidy 1

In the majority of those series Babcock was a huge huge dog and he kept a lot like washington 2017 super close . He dosen't seem to have a problem when he has a good Team Canada team .

I love what Casissy has done but playoff wise he has had 2 fair size favorites with this tbay series being his first small to medium undER dog and let's hope we get him his first underdog win but we need a game Friday .

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Babcock 3
Cassidy 1

I actually thought that Babcock had the upper hand in that series. I didn't want to say anything in the middle of it, because it would have felt like trolling but since we won I don't think there will be any hurt feelings.

The reason I thought Babcock had the edge was a couple things... It seemed like he did a better job of manipulating the refs, specifically getting them to scrutinize Bergeron and get him tossed out of so many draws. I also thought he got the Bruins to play his game. We let them dictate the style of play. We were more worried about defending their stretch plays than running our offense so we'd pull our D back into the neutral zone when we were in their offensive zone.

Probably the biggest thing that stood out for me, was the shift in personnel and identity. During the regular season, we were defined by our youth, speed, creativity... But Cassidy said he thought that series would be decided along the boards so he leaned on lineups that were older and heavier. Guys like Wingels saw spot duty with Krejci instead of Heinen or Donato.

I'm not sure where that theory came from. We were a stretch pass team, Toronto was a stretch pass team, why would the series be decided in the corners? The series winning goal was scored off the rush, by a rookie.

All that said, Babcock is as experienced as they come and highly regarded around the league while Cassidy is just starting out, so Babcock went into that series with some advantages and Cassidy still came out on top so credit is certainly due for getting it done and I'd like to think Cassidy is learning as he goes just like the rest of this young group.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
I think bruins beat babcock more times in playoffs that he coached .....cassidy is pretty good coach.more experience.. will make him even a better coach....

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
As a neutral fan, what is Bruce Cassidy doing? Thought he was very good with lineup decisions during the regular season, especially when it came to inserting young talent. As a Sens fan, I was honestly quite jealous. Why has he changed so much for this PO run when he had tremendous success in season?
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Krejci - Donato
Heinen - Kuraly - Rick Nash
Schaller - Nash/Backes - Acciari
That's a better foward core than anything he's iced this postseason and probably deep enough to rival TB. What am I missing?

Reactions: since76

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As a neutral fan, what is Bruce Cassidy doing? Thought he was very good with lineup decisions during the regular season, especially when it came to inserting young talent. As a Sens fan, I was honestly quite jealous. Why has he changed so much for this PO run when he had tremendous success in season?
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Krejci - Donato
Heinen - Kuraly - Rick Nash
Schaller - Nash/Backes - Acciari
That's a better foward core than anything he's iced this postseason and probably deep enough to rival TB. What am I missing?

Injuries I think will be seen as one of our real problems here- a lot of them were banged up pretty bad and never really got their games back 100%. Both Nashes had concussions prior to the playoffs, Backes had an injury riddled season and that bad gash on his leg near the end of the season. Bergeron, Marchand, Krug, K. Miller at minimum were all playing hurt. I think Bruce was trying whatever he could in the context of what he knew about each player's capabilities at the time.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Give the nutty number of injuries this season, along with all the new pieces to the lineup, I think Cassidy did a great job. The kids showed growth and were allowed to play through rough stretches for the most part. The team showed something they hadn't shown in several years -- resiliency.

The one thing I question is the team's focus early in games. All season long they were getting down early, then having to claw their way back into games. Perhaps that's less a coaching thing and more a leadership issue. In any case, the coaches/team really needs to address that next season.

I felt more adjustments could have been made in the playoffs, and perhaps a couple different roster moves should have been made in the TB series, but I understand that Cassidy only had so many options and has a much better feel for the team than any fan has. At some point the players have to produce enough to win, and that did not happen. This was a successful first full year for Cassidy. Really looking forward to his second full season.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I still like him but he did a terrible job managing the bottom 6 as the playoffs wore on. We got nothing from them vs Tampa. Gionta played ffs.

Reactions: since76

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The guy is a great coach and we're lucky to have him. He saved the season early on by benching Rask in favor of Khudobin. That took guts and was something our previous coach would not have done. I appreciate the efforts of Cassidy getting this team headed in the right direction.

Reactions: FanSince72

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I am happy with Cassidy although I wasn’t a fan of the hire initially. Cooper out coached him in round 2 however. Cassidy couldn’t make the proper adjustments to Tampa’s aggressive 2 man forecheck

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am happy with Cassidy although I wasn’t a fan of the hire initially. Cooper out coached him in round 2 however. Cassidy couldn’t make the proper adjustments to Tampa’s aggressive 2 man forecheck

See, I wonder about this at times- did he give the player instructions about how to tackle it and they didn't execute? It's hard to know without being in the room. They can address all sort of issues as coaches but they can't go out and play. Not saying you are necessarily wrong here, but I wonder whether they tried to address it and just didn't get the performance they wanted. I know they addressed breakouts and getting through the neutral zone clean, but the team couldn't pull it off very often.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I thought breaking up the first line was just such an easy, and obvious call to make.But for some reason he didn’t even want to consider it. It's not like they were playing well.Other than power playThey kinda sucked too.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
My biggest concern is how Toronto, and especially Tampa, were able to incorporate similar strategies that Ottawa did to beat the Bruins last year.

I feel like we got out-coached badly in terms of strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad