Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yep. Everything the Benning regime has done has been in service of short-term goals. Boeser should've been a long-term contract. Our entire core needs a raise in the next 1-2 years. Hard to build a contending team with so little certainty.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yep. Everything the Benning regime has done has been in service of short-term goals. Boeser should've been a long-term contract. Our entire core needs a raise in the next 1-2 years. Hard to build a contending team with so little certainty.

Disagree on Boeser. There were too many question marks on his comeback from injury to give him a long-term deal. If he continued to play like last season over a 7 or 8 year deal for 7-7.5 or something, it would have been awful. As it stands, even with this year, I don't see how he's worth much more than what he would have got on a long term deal at the time. A 30+ goal, 70ish point player shouldn't be getting much more than 7.5-8, even if he's upped his overall game.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bess is really playing like Rick Middleton now. I’ve seen bits of Middleton in Bess before, but now it’s every shift. I think seeing Tofoli play up close really helped Bess understand he needed to be more competitive every shift.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

damned if you, damned if you don't.

if Benning signed Boeser to a long term contract and his play continue to trend downwards from his history of injuries, this would be your exact post:

"Yep. Everything the Benning regime has done has hurt Canucks long-term. Boeser should've been a short-term contract. Our entire core is stuck. Hard to build a contending team when your top 6 is average locked into long term contracts."

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I give Benning a lot of grief but considering Brock's status from his injuries at the time of his contract, I don't fault him for going through the bridge deal, it was the right move with a good cap hit.

if Benning negotiated free agents as well as he did RFAs (thinking with Bo here too) I think we'd be in a place where I wouldn't be asking for him to be fired, despite his other faults in trades and asset mgmt

Reactions: bh53

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Disagree on Boeser. There were too many question marks on his comeback from injury to give him a long-term deal. If he continued to play like last season over a 7 or 8 year deal for 7-7.5 or something, it would have been awful. As it stands, even with this year, I don't see how he's worth much more than what he would have got on a long term deal at the time. A 30+ goal, 70ish point player shouldn't be getting much more than 7.5-8, even if he's upped his overall game.

No, I don't think he'll get a huge raise. But I'd have rather had him locked in at a cheaper number long-term, considering the rest of the core needs new contracts too.
damned if you, damned if you don't.

if Benning signed Boeser to a long term contract and his play continue to trend downwards from his history of injuries, this would be your exact post:

"Yep. Everything the Benning regime has done has hurt Canucks long-term. Boeser should've been a short-term contract. Our entire core is stuck. Hard to build a contending team when your top 6 is average locked into long term contracts."

Incorrect. If you want to be like this, go check my post history. I was wanting a long-term deal on Boeser at the time of the signing. My rationale was that they need the discounted value for when the Canucks are competitive, not now. This isn't post-hoc analysis.

I've given Benning praise when he's the made correct decisions and/or thought processes. He just does it so rarely.

I give Benning a lot of grief but considering Brock's status from his injuries at the time of his contract, I don't fault him for going through the bridge deal, it was the right move with a good cap hit.

if Benning negotiated free agents as well as he did RFAs (thinking with Bo here too) I think we'd be in a place where I wouldn't be asking for him to be fired, despite his other faults in trades and asset mgmt

To be clear, I do think Benning signed Boeser to a good contract. All things considered, his RFA negotiations have generally been good. I would have preferred prioritizing a long-term contract rather than a bridge, at the time of signing and now, is what I'm saying.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
$8.125 million x 8 years

Brock Boeser :yo:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
What? This whole off-season was about the future. Signing 3 guys past their prime would have been shortsighted and if Benning was looking out for himself signing them would have been the prudent move.
He's obviously not worried about his tenure.
Not sure why you blame Benning for having their contracts expire around the same time, as it stands now Benning has gotten great value on the Brock contract and even with a flat cap possibly still being a thing when his contracts up, if he continues like this 7.5 might end up being lower then what his value will be. Look at what Rantanen signed for compared to Brock, who this year at least is the better player.
Even if he is still behind him it isn't by 3+ million dollars a season better, or 8 million for an extra year Marner.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
No, I don't think he'll get a huge raise. But I'd have rather had him locked in at a cheaper number long-term, considering the rest of the core needs new contracts too. That was out of Bennings hand. The fact is a bridge was always the outcome based on Brocks very high ceiling and his very real at the time injury concerns.
Brock bet on himself and that's a win for him and us fans. He made the right choice turning down 7 a year.
A lot of people forget how good he was his rookie season and very well may have one the Calder. Now that he's healthy that swagger and confidence are back, that sequence in OT was friggen awesome, kid outmuscled two Habs from his knees after almost scoring.
Best part of all? No more regarded Brock+ for Dumba.

Incorrect. If you want to be like this, go check my post history. I was wanting a long-term deal on Boeser at the time of the signing. My rationale was that they need the discounted value for when the Canucks are competitive, not now. This isn't post-hoc analysis.

I've given Benning praise when he's the made correct decisions and/or thought processes. He just does it so rarely.

To be clear, I do think Benning signed Boeser to a good contract. All things considered, his RFA negotiations have generally been good. I would have preferred prioritizing a long-term contract rather than a bridge, at the time of signing and now, is what I'm saying.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What? This whole off-season was about the future. Signing 3 guys past their prime would have been shortsighted and if Benning was looking out for himself signing them would have been the prudent move.
He's obviously not worried about his tenure.
Not sure why you blame Benning for having their contracts expire around the same time, as it stands now Benning has gotten great value on the Brock contract and even with a flat cap possibly still being a thing when his contracts up, if he continues like this 7.5 might end up being lower then what his value will be. Look at what Rantanen signed for compared to Brock, who this year at least is the better player.
Even if he is still behind him it isn't by 3+ million dollars a season better, or 8 million for an extra year Marner.

I mean...Benning signed the contracts so...like who else is responsible for the structuring of their cap-related decisions? He's the GM.

This is getting into another whole Benning Flame War. If you think Benning's tenure has been about the future...lol there's not much to discuss. His moves this offseason were purely dictated by the fact his previous terrible decisions left him with no cap space.

Check my other post for my rationale on Brock. It's not post-hoc, these were things I was saying at the time of the signing. I'm probably the biggest Boeser booster on this board, even when he was "struggling" last season. This is why I wanted him locked-up long-term.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Scoring at a 40 goal pace atm..... and playing amazing. One of the bright spots for the Canucks this season.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
If Boeser goes PPG at a 40 goal pace this year and next year we'll gladly pay him his money.

I was fine with bridging Boeser. I wanted him signed to term like everyone else but he was an okay player to bridge, just like I'd rather sign Hughes to term this summer but it would also be fine to bridge him. Boeser had some question marks. All the better if he resolves them. If he rejected 7 mil x 6 then I think it was worth whatever the premium will be on his next contract to dispel the question marks before signing him to term.

Oh i'm definitely on board for that. In fact a well managed cap team usually means stars are more likely to take a home town discount. Teams like the leafs though where you have stars sitting out to get max salary at minimum term, you could potentially be costing yourself stanley cups.
I wouldn't take a penny less on purpose when I'm staring at Loui, Myers, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Benn, or Holtby on the team.

No way I'd give up money to help another one of those get signed.

Gillis' approach worked because he'd built a winner the team believed in and refused to sign a cap inefficient contract no matter what, ultimately to his detriment post-2011. Benning is the total inversion of Gillis as a GM.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
An incredibly likeable player, who has now shown to have an all around game, his shot being back, looking faster than his rookie season. His playmaking is the most underrated aspect of his game right now.

Really glad to see him make a lot of people eat crow.

Team MVP (along with Demko).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
An incredibly likeable player, who has now shown to have an all around game, his shot being back, looking faster than his rookie season. His playmaking is the most underrated aspect of his game right now.

Really glad to see him make a lot of people eat crow.

Team MVP (along with Demko).
Brock Boeser

Man I love this player :yo:

Last edited:
Reactions: alternate

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Kyle Connor got 7/50m 2 years ago. Both have scored at almost the same rate over their careers. Although when Connor signed the contract he was coming off a career high of 66 points. If Brock continues his near ppg pace until his extension will probably begin with an 8.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
No way he takes less than 8 if he plays like this. Let's hope Jim does not bridge Petey and Hughes.

rotiman187

Nov 3, 2018
No doubt in my mind that a full healthy Boeser is an avg 40 goal scorer playing along with EP and Miller. Nice to see him do well, this is the player we all know he can be. I still think he will get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad