Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Best overall forward on the team right now. Yes, better than Hoglander. Not as flashy as Hog but he's playing well at both ends of the ice AND getting the points to boot. I won't lie, kinda proud I stuck by this guy the whole time. Been a fan and a huge believer since Day 1! He has the abilities of a frontline player while also having great character. He's not a player to doubt.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I haven't seen anybody mention this but since last year, I have been trying to voice that it was an injury holding Boeser back and could see him adapt his game as he was unable to let decent shots off, so in doing so, he was able to create a bit of a new game for himself, I think this allowed him to focus more on the defensive side, learn how to score off rebounds, work in front of the net,as this close proximity game did not require as much to get shots off - honestly while we did lose quite a bit of time due to this injury, it might have been a blessing in disguise long term as he seems to be able to do a bit of everything now. He is very good parked around the net now. This combined with his ability to be even stronger on the boards, he's finally turning into the complete package for a winger

Had he not gotten injured, he might have stayed in the Pettersson spot (however on the left side), just throwing his patented wrister on net.

I said it a few games into the season, no matter how bad the team looks, Boeser regaining his shot is far more important to the team's future than anything else. Add in Hoglander and this season is a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I haven't seen anybody mention this but since last year, I have been trying to voice that it was an injury holding Boeser back and could see him adapt his game as he was unable to let decent shots off, so in doing so, he was able to create a bit of a new game for himself, I think this allowed him to focus more on the defensive side, learn how to score off rebounds, work in front of the net,as this close proximity game did not require as much to get shots off - honestly while we did lose quite a bit of time due to this injury, it might have been a blessing in disguise long term as he seems to be able to do a bit of everything now. He is very good parked around the net now. This combined with his ability to be even stronger on the boards, he's finally turning into the complete package for a winger

Had he not gotten injured, he might have stayed in the Pettersson spot (however on the left side), just throwing his patented wrister on net.

I said it a few games into the season, no matter how bad the team looks, Boeser regaining his shot is far more important to the team's future than anything else. Add in Hoglander and this season is a win.

Agreed. he’s added elements to his game that weren’t there in his rookie year, that I don’t think he would have developed so soon without injury. Having to change your game to adapt is a tough thing for many players to do, it’s good he was able to do that earlier in his career.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Wonder what his next contract is gonna be. I'd give him 8x8 but wouldn't go over that.
I've seen some people mention the Connor contract. Makes sense to me, though Boeser is probably also worth the 8x8, especially given his all around play. He's not just scoring goals.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The other thing about Boeser is he just seems like such a top notch guy. He's the kind of guy who you just believe is the real deal because of his character, not just because of his talent. You know he'll work hard and have a good attitude to improve.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Lucky for us I was not GM for Canucks this offseason.
We would have Tanev and Marky, but we would also have traded Boeser for Dumba haha

Respect for admitting that.

Tons of Canucks fans wanted him gone in the offseason and they’re all silent about it now except you.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
On the other hand, a lot of Canucks fans wanted him signed long-term at a better cap hit than he’s going to get at the end of his current deal.

Yes that was my opinion at the time. I still dont understand why they bridged him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
While I believe his QO is at
7.5, I think the Kyle Connor contract (50m/7) will be used as a compable in negotiations.

Kyle Connor contract isn't a comparable anymore for a player who will have 5 NHL seasons under his belt and only 2 more RFA years, and continued production.

The only time to get the Kyle Connor style deal, where you bet on the player but get fantastic long term value, was after his ELC. That was it. The opportunity has passed due to cap mismanagement leading to not even having the ability to offer Boeser $7MM a season due to signing Ferland and Myers.

Time has passed and we'll be paying a more premium price for Boeser, requiring us to find ways to scrimp and save on the bottom half of the roster, something we are not even close to doing currently.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
The return of Boeser's shot is amazing and all, but he's also doing a much better job of battling for pucks and skating hard. He's not the most gifted skater but he really seems like he's giving it a true 100%. There were times when Miller seemed to be sulking and not back checking hard and Boeser seemed like he would backcheck extra hard to push back against Miller's attitude. He's a character guy for sure.

Before the season I saw him as the most expendable of the valuable assets the Canucks had, but he's totally flipped that on its head. Thank god he didn't get moved because if he went somewhere like CBJ and started scoring like this I don't think I could have handled it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He's been really good this year beyond just the offense. He's been good in his own end and strong along the boards.

The fact that he's 4 goals off last year's total in 37 fewer games is amazing, too.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Kyle Connor contract isn't a comparable anymore for a player who will have 5 NHL seasons under his belt and only 2 more RFA years, and continued production.

The only time to get the Kyle Connor style deal, where you bet on the player but get fantastic long term value, was after his ELC. That was it. The opportunity has passed due to cap mismanagement leading to not even having the ability to offer Boeser $7MM a season due to signing Ferland and Myers.

Time has passed and we'll be paying a more premium price for Boeser, requiring us to find ways to scrimp and save on the bottom half of the roster, something we are not even close to doing currently.

Yep. If Brock Boeser posts a PPG season, don't see him signing for anything less than Sebastian Aho money ($8.5M).

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Who would've thought he would be the Canucks best player so far this year?

Loved the player but I was a bit worried that the wrist and back injuries had hindered him permanently.

I agree with the other poster that having a couple down years on his shot probably helped improve his overall offensive game as well.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Exactly right. Made no sense to me when Boeser signed the bridge and everyone was calling it a win for us. It was a huge arrow pointing directly at Benning's many failures.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Boeser turned down a 7M dollar offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad