Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Glad to say I was never off the Brock bandwagon!

I saw good things from him last year in terms of work rate, forechecking, and two-way ability. It was a "down year" in terms of production (despite still being on a 65 point pace!!) but I saw him take steps developing into a more complete player.

I knew it was just a matter of time before he started shooting like we know he can (and probably finally getting fully healthy from back/wrist injuries).

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
It's the same thing with Hughes this season. People forget how young these players are and think that their flaws are here to stay and this is as good as they are going to get. Teams start to figure out how to play against them, and they have to learn how to adjust. Boeser scoring at a 65 point pace as a 22/23 year old was never a cause for concern.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
With this defensive improvement, offensive rebound and his young age, does anyone see him one day placing one day among the likes of Stone/ Marchand/ Landeskog/ Marner as best defensive wingers in the league?

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
With this defensive improvement, offensive rebound and his young age, does anyone see him one day placing one day among the likes of Stone/ Marchand/ Landeskog/ Marner as best defensive wingers in the league?
Those guys defensive game comes natural where as Boeser has made a concerned effort to be better away from the puck. I see him being a tier below the upper echelon

Reactions: mail

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Probably didn't have cap space my guess.

Correct. All they had to do that offseason was not add a bunch of money through the QH/EP extensions years and so they went out and added $15MM (Miller, Myers, Ferland).

Could have easily figured out a 7 year deal with Boeser had they not signed one or either of Myers/Ferland.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Correct. All they had to do that offseason was not add a bunch of money through the QH/EP extensions years and so they went out and added $15MM (Miller, Myers, Ferland).

Could have easily figured out a 7 year deal with Boeser had they not signed one or either of Myers/Ferland.
Intelligence and foresight...very good traits in management!

Reactions: B-rock and MarkMM

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I see a lot of the old Bruin’s player, Rick Middleton. Smart, skilled, and put up points. Not a fancy fast skater, but just a good hockey player. Bess is kind of “nifty” out there.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
PPG and excellent defensively. MVP of our team this year.

Thats why you lock up your superstars ASAP now Boeser is going to get around 8.5 million. We can’t even think about bridging Pettersson and Hughes.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Offer all 3 8 x $7.5m.

See if they all take a little less to help the team win.

It is so weird to me that anyone wouldn't. Like what is really the difference between 50 mil and 60 mil when getting the smaller amount can help you win. 50 million is so much more money than you could ever truly need.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
It is so weird to me that anyone wouldn't. Like what is really the difference between 50 mil and 60 mil when getting the smaller amount can help you win. 50 million is so much more money than you could ever truly need.
Because people don't take less at their jobs, no matter the industry. It isn't Petey, Hughes or Boeser's fault the team has been woefully mismanaged. That's on management to figure out. Stop overpaying bums.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Because people don't take less at their jobs, no matter the industry. It isn't Petey, Hughes or Boeser's fault the team has been woefully mismanaged. That's on management to figure out. Stop overpaying bums.

Oh i'm definitely on board for that. In fact a well managed cap team usually means stars are more likely to take a home town discount. Teams like the leafs though where you have stars sitting out to get max salary at minimum term, you could potentially be costing yourself stanley cups.

Reactions: bh53

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Oh i'm definitely on board for that. In fact a well managed cap team usually means stars are more likely to take a home town discount. Teams like the leafs though where you have stars sitting out to get max salary at minimum term, you could potentially be costing yourself stanley cups.
I can agree with that. If half their cap was used on productive players instead of plugs, they'd probably be inclined to take less to keep the band together.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Why would they want to take a paycut to win with the Canucks specifically? They could get full dollar value and demand a trade to someone else, or sign a contract that takes them to UFA asap.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Who has a young d-man that wants Brock? Seriously who?

Brock's claim to fame is a deadly wristshot that requires a half-hour windup. He isn't very fast and he can't consistently make a tape to tape pass. Somewhere in that head of his he knows how to play hockey extremely well and we see that 10% of the time. The rest of the time we see broken plays and desperation "passes" either to nobody or 2 feet away from the supposed target. This tells me the guy is running on adrenaline and cannot sustain anything now that his slow-release shot is recognized by the league.

I like Boeser but I'm starting to lean more towards trading him for top 4 D. Podkolzin will be able to step in right away and be a more effective winger than Boeser, as he is far better defensively than, and his shot is as good or better. And at an ELC that saves us 5 million dollars over Boeser. Let's spend that money on a decent defenseman.

With the cap it is impossible to keep everybody you'd like to.

Boesers problem has always been taking too long to do something.. passes, shots.. now that hes known players will stick to him and he will no longer be as effective

Trade him while he still has value

These takes aged like milk.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
@canuckking1

I still maintain that we could get a pretty good defenceman for him. Podkolzin and Hoglander make us fairly deep on wing. Boeser is 9th in scoring from that deep draft. Maybe he could fetch a 2 or 3 d man?

Round 1NHL Totals
RoundNum.Drafted ByPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIMLast Season
11EdmontonConnor McDavidCErie Otters [OHL]3771773355121322020-21
12BuffaloJack EichelCBoston University [H-East]3741392153541422020-21
14TorontoMitch MarnerRLondon Knights [OHL]325922303221142020-21
235CarolinaSebastian AhoCKarpat [SM-liiga]3331291542831122020-21
110ColoradoMikko RantanenRTPS Turku [SM-liiga]3031111632741322020-21
116NY IslandersMathew BarzalCSeattle Thunderbirds [WHL]258681612291562020-21
117WinnipegKyle ConnorLYoungstown Phantoms [USHL]273116108224782020-21
124PhiladelphiaTravis KonecnyROttawa 67's [OHL]314891081971672020-21
123VancouverBrock BoeserRWaterloo Black Hawks [USHL]22488100188602020-21
18ColumbusZach WerenskiDU. of Michigan [Big-10]31959117176692020-21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lotta posters on this board wanted to trade this guy at some point over the last two seasons.

I was one of those posters. Not because I dont like the player but because of our messed up salary structure and his value in a trade.

That day might still come. We are capf***ed now and might not have what it takes to resign him.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The thing with trading any good players not named EP is it's just a shift of problems unless it's an obvious big win. You need a guy with the scoring pedigree of Boeser in your top six. If you lose him, you have to have a huge upgrade on the backline that overpowers the value Boeser provides.

It's clear that management had huge worries about the dynamic part of his game basically evaporating the last season even if his defensive game had improved noticeably.

This management team isn't secretive. It was obvious they'd been wanting to upgrade on Stecher for years and had their mind made up a while before we ended up losing him for nothing (as an example).

It was very noticeable that as soon as TT arrived and played five games, a lot of the accounts that I'd say tend to have a perspective eerily similar with what the organization's plans are shifted a narrative for a bit to "TT is a better fit with EP so we should explore moving him maybe". And, I don't think that was a ridiculous take at the time because they were going to have to pay him sometime in the next 12-24 months at the time and if they didn't feel confident about the dynamic side of his game returning, you can see why they did explore it.

People who acted as if Sekeres' report was out of left field and unjustified - that's a bit funny to me because other journalists either corroborated it or didn't deny it. It wasn't like he said "The canucks are going to trade Boeser" - it was that they explored the idea of it because they were in a bit of a crunch and felt maybe his salary could be used in different areas. They clearly really liked Toffoli. It was funny to see how quickly it went from certain posters being like "wow he's a better fit with EP/Miller and on the PP" to "well he wasn't a part of the team much in the playoffs or the regular season we scored a lot without him not a big loss" lol.

Also, the cap problems this team had became apparent as early as when they couldn't re-sign Boeser long term because of the bad deals on the team. That's undebatable. It would have paid off but now we'll have to throw him a huge raise.

They really should re-sign him long term. This organization has no long term stability ATM outside of Nate Schmidt. Get Boeser signed for 6 or 7 years and they should do it this offseason before he increases his value again. His career pace is that of a 33g70p guy over 82 games.

Also, in regards to the comparisons of the immaturity between Boeser and Hughes' defensive game early in their career, I don't think it's a great comparison. Boeser had effort issues and while QH does as well, Hughes looks overmatched in ways that makes this incomparable at the moment. I definitely think going bridge with Hughes is a lot more of a no-brainer than it was with Boeser. Boeser looked like a guaranteed 35-40 goal guy but the question was if the rest of his game would improve - and it has. Unfortunately, they backed themselves into a point where they were forced to bridge. Have to sign him long term now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->