Proposal: Brock Boeser for Miro Heiskanen or Cale Makar+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
1) our right side D is in MAJOR need of en elite defenseman that can successfully replace Tanev.

2) We have Hughes. Now imagine Hughes being paired with one of Heiskanen or Makar......or, being guaranteed that atleast one of Hughes or Heiskanen/Makar will be on the ice at almost all times. Why settle for having a decent defense when you can have an awesome one?

3) you’re right. Top 6 wingers are much easier to find then D. Hence - bring in Makar, and then sign one of Stone or Duchene in the off season with the new huge available cap space.
In the case of Colorado, perhaps trading Makar for Boeser would give them more short term help in terms of making the playoffs and being a dark horse this season.

I would use the same argument for Dallas, but the Heiskanen ship seems to have sailed already.
Sadly the Canucks don’t even have the depth to trAde away their best winger. This would leave a hole. One step forwards, 2 steps back.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He stands a good chance at winning the Hobey Baker as a 20 year old in his 2nd year of college hockey, as a Dman this year. That simply does not happen and us extremely rare. He is going to be elite and will be a top pairing NHL Dman. The only questions that remain are whether he's a #2 guy, a #1 Guy, or an elite franchise level guy.

And we're not trading any of those options for a Top line winger.
Could you lend me your crystal ball, I'm tired of working full time and am looking to win the lottery....

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I’d do it for Heiskanen. No chance for Makar right now.

Makar jumped from the AJHL to the worst team in the Hockey East, which is also the toughest division in the NCAA. Given the chance to play with higher quality players in the WJC, he dominated and led all DMen in scoring .

Makar has a huge upside and DMen are worth more than Wingers. There is little chance AVs would consider trading.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Makar jumped from the AJHL to the worst team in the Hockey East, which is also the toughest division in the NCAA. Given the chance to play with higher quality players in the WJC, he dominated and led all DMen in scoring .

Makar has a huge upside and DMen are worth more than Wingers. There is little chance AVs would consider trading.

Avs wouldn't do this trade, Canucks wouldn't do this trade. It's just not really a well thought out proposal.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
no chance either team is taking that. *ring ring* Colorado: Hello? Vancouver: Hi id like to give you even more offensive power in exchange for your best prospect. Colorado: Won't that leave you with a massive hole in your offense? Vancouver: YEAH! Colodado: *hangs up*

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
No way Dallas does that. No way.

The Colorado deal of Makar +something else seems fair value but I don't know why either team would do it. Colorado will improve secondary scoring significantly in this upcoming draft (and they have cap space). They also aren't exactly strong on defense until Makar and Timmins come.

And Vancouver basically has Makar already in Hughes.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
For Dallas to move on from Heiskanen I think you'd be looking at a guy like McDavd being the return. Dallas would obviously be adding, but to go lateral with Heiskanen doesn't really make sense IMO.

Tempting as a neutral fan though, I'm thinking Dallas could line up something like this next year:

Hintz/ Cogliano/ Janmark - Seguin - Radulov
Benn - Hayes/ Duchene/ comparable player signed in free agency - Boeser (after this trade)

Something like this as their top 6 next season would be really fun to watch I think. But the reality of the situation is Heiskanen's stock keeps rising and he is already a top 4 D at a young, young age. His ceiling is franchise defender and those guys only come along so often.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I think the actual trade would be something like Horvat+Boeser for Heiskanen+ something. As good as Heiskanen is he won't get you a high-end young 1C. Just look at the Seth Jones trade. The best young C you could get for Heiskanen would probably be Kotkaniemi.
The Jones trade is not a really good example. Heiskanen is already better in his first year than Jones was on this third, when he was traded. And even then Jones was traded for an established 1st line center with a 70+ point season under his belt.

With that said I would trade Heiskanen+ for Horvat and Boeser if the + is not massive. You could then write Karlsson a blank check or trade Benn to Predators for one of their top 4 defenseman.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Boeser is obviously a tremendously talented player, but Heiskanen is potentially a franchise-changing defenseman; and that’s saying a lot considering Klingberg is already “big time.” Stars fans (and management) are so high on him that I can’t imagine who they would be willing to trade him for.
yea ...looks better than Klingberg, and that is saying a lot.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
The Jones trade is not a really good example. Heiskanen is already better in his first year than Jones was on this third, when he was traded. And even then Jones was traded for an established 1st line center with a 70+ point season under his belt.

With that said I would trade Heiskanen+ for Horvat and Boeser if the + is not massive. You could then write Karlsson a blank check or trade Benn to Predators for one of their top 4 defenseman.

Horvat AND Boeser? Come on now.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

That’s fine, but Makar hasn’t done it in the NHL yet. Boeser has, and while I agree that high level defenseman trump high level wingers, Canucks are not in the position to take that risk. Boeser is a sure thing, he’s our best winger.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That’s fine, but Makar hasn’t done it in the NHL yet. Boeser has, and while I agree that high level defenseman trump high level wingers, Canucks are not in the position to take that risk. Boeser is a sure thing, he’s our best winger.

This is the reason this proposal makes little sense.

Both teams need their DMan and don't need Wingers. VAN has 2 potential high end DMen in the system and Boeser is more valued than the teams involved.

Good debate though on player values.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
To me this is just a silly thing fans do. They use words like 'unproven' instead of 'he isn't in the NHL so I really haven't watched him'.

There is a debate towards why or why not a deal like that should or should not be made, but acting like Makar is any less talented because he choose to murder the NCAA for an extra year isn't one of them. Players skill levels don't change because general fan bases aren't informed about them.
Oh trust me I’ve seen Makar. I was so pissed when Colorado picked him ahead of us I wanted him so badly. But Pettersson?? Pettersson is a top 10 NHL player already as a rookie. Not even close in value.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Oh trust me I’ve seen Makar. I was so pissed when Colorado picked him ahead of us I wanted him so badly. But Pettersson?? Pettersson is a top 10 NHL player already as a rookie. Not even close in value.

Haha thats pretty funny how things turned out. I'm super happy for EP and Van fans finally getting some talent to be excited about on that team. I'm equally looking forward to what Makar is able to do next year and if he can match that.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ignoring player cue and opposing team needs, the Canucks have Hughes in their system along with another pretty good defensive prospect on Woo. Wait a year, and keep your amazing young winger. The stars and Avs probably are not looking to deal their defenseman either.

Was hoping FLA would have got him in 2nd round but if he can stay healthy, he should be a top 4 guy for you/more of an offensive Tanev clone. He has a ton of heart and just love the way he can be skilled and put up offense or get gritty and run you through the boards. He's having a solid year in the OHL, good luck with his development.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
There's no need to bring up Pettersen - the Canucks should never trade him as long as he's this good. Boeser is not enough to get the Stars to consider trading Heiskanen, and there are no combinations of lesser adds that will make it worthwhile.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why would Makar garner a + and Heiskanen not?

The way the vast majority here evaluates prospects in backwards.

If Heiskanen was ripping apart a developmental league many here would rate him him higher than having actually cracked and maintained his spot on an NHL roster. Never mind the fact that he plays over 23 mins a game and many times more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad