Proposal: Brock Boeser for Miro Heiskanen or Cale Makar+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Brock Boeser for Miro Heiskanen or Cale Makar+

I know that I’ve suggested something similar to this in the past, and I know that my fellow Canuck fans will want to punch me for proposing this, but I think the Canucks should seriously look at moving Boeser for a young right sided defenseman of close to or equal value (with either side adding to even out a deal).

Here are a few reasons why I wouldn’t mind seeing this happen.

1) Cap space: By trading for one of Makar Or Heiskanen, it gives the Canucks some extra cap space for the coming year.

1A) Dallas would get one of the best lines in hockey (Benn-Seguin-Boeser), While Colorado would get some much needed secondary scoring help. With Boeser on the team, the Avs could finally have two strong scoring lines instead of one.

2) The Canucks address a MAJOR organizational weakness. The Canucks have absolutely nothing elite coming up on right side D and so this trade would address that. Furthermore, the idea of losing Tanev in the not-so-distant future doesn’t become a matter of life and death. A succession plan would now be in place.

2a) Colorado and Dallas are further along the developmental path than Vancouver and so having a “now” guy like Boeser (While the Canucks acquire a future piece) might serve the needs of both teams.

3) Balance. In terms of both the short term and long term, the Canucks would be set at Center, Goaltending, and Defense. Wingers are much easier to draft and sign than defensemen.

4) UFA winger options - Stone, Duchene, Ferland, etc. With more cap space to play with, the Canucks could make a serious pitch for atleast one of the above to compensate the upfront loss of Boeser to some degree.

Don’t get me wrong - I love Boeser, but the idea of Pettersson and Horvat being our centers for many years to come, along with Hughes AND one of Makar or Heiskanen anchoring our defense, is an excellent foundational core to build upon.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Nucks already have garbage wingers as is - I get that D also sucks but it's sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Not to mention I don't think Dallas makes that trade and we have a similar player in Hughes coming up for Makar.

Brock and Petey also are developing some chemistry - seems like that could be one of the best duos in the league in the next few years.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Nucks already have garbage wingers as is - I get that D also sucks but it's sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Not to mention I don't think Dallas makes that trade and we have a similar player in Hughes coming up for Makar.

Brock and Petey also are developing some chemistry - seems like that could be one of the best duos in the league in the next few years.

I understand the whole “robbing Peter to pay Paul” argument, but I also believe that drafting/signing top pairing defensemen is MUCH more difficult than drafting/signing wingers.

With Boeser gone and having far more cap space to play with, I don’t think it would be far fetched at all to assume that one of Duchene, Ferland, or even Stone could nullify the loss of Brock to a certain degree almost immediately (ie July 1st). In the mean time, we would now have a very promising D, C, and G both short term and long term.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Interesting proposal, but the needs of the other teams doesn’t make sense to do this trade.

DAL and COL are looking for a 2C. Another problem is Dallas has no other DMan prospects, which eliminates any interest. AVs will likely trade Barrie due to Expansion Risk and contract (1.5 years). Makar is expected to replace his role.

VAN keeps their player. Hughes & Juolevi are on the horizon. They could instead trade for the more established Barrie which has been rumoured before and cost them less.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I understand the whole “robbing Peter to pay Paul” argument, but I also believe that drafting/signing top pairing defensemen is MUCH more difficult than drafting/signing wingers.

With Boeser gone and having far more cap space to play with, I don’t think it would be far fetched at all to assume that one of Duchene, Ferland, or even Stone could nullify the loss of Brock to a certain degree almost immediately (ie July 1st). In the mean time, we would now have a very promising D, C, and G both short term and long term.

Based on your own logic, the Avs easily say no.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Boeser is obviously a tremendously talented player, but Heiskanen is potentially a franchise-changing defenseman; and that’s saying a lot considering Klingberg is already “big time.” Stars fans (and management) are so high on him that I can’t imagine who they would be willing to trade him for.

Fair enough.

If the Heiskanen ship has sailed, then I’d knock on Colorado’s door asking for Makar.

Reactions: JesusNPucks

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t know that boeser fetches either of those players. I think Heiskenen will win a Norris at some point. Makar is just a perfect fit for what Colorado needs going forward, and with 2 potential top 10 pick, they’re set in about 3 years.

Last edited:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

Why can't Colorado or Dallas sign one of the FA's to help with forwards instead of trading away valuable assets like their young D?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why can't Colorado or Dallas sign one of the FA's to help with forwards instead of trading away valuable assets like their young D?

In the case of Colorado, perhaps trading Makar for Boeser would give them more short term help in terms of making the playoffs and being a dark horse this season.

I would use the same argument for Dallas, but the Heiskanen ship seems to have sailed already.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why??? Makes no sense for any/all teams involved. We have Hughes.. + top 6 wingers are much easier to find then top D. No one does this.

1) our right side D is in MAJOR need of en elite defenseman that can successfully replace Tanev.

2) We have Hughes. Now imagine Hughes being paired with one of Heiskanen or Makar......or, being guaranteed that atleast one of Hughes or Heiskanen/Makar will be on the ice at almost all times. Why settle for having a decent defense when you can have an awesome one?

3) you’re right. Top 6 wingers are much easier to find then D. Hence - bring in Makar, and then sign one of Stone or Duchene in the off season with the new huge available cap space.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Having a top pairing defensman is a far bigger need for the Avs than a top winger at this point in time. Already have two fantastic wingers, the only top pairing D on the team currently is aging, and there is no other D prospect in the system that realistically right now could ever fulfill the top pairing / potential #1 D slot. Boeser is excellent -- but not even a consideration. Makar is vastly more important to the future of the Avs, without him turning out they won't have a shot at being a contender regardless of what the winger group looks like.

With Ottawa struggling and the Avs careening straight to the bottom of the standings the Avs will probably have their pick of two the young forwards in the top 10 of the draft anyways.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I love how your argument is that its harder to find a top pair D than a winger....... And then you want other teams to trade you that D for a winger

Dallas and avs both pass
I get the argument, don’t get me wrong.

By the same token, perhaps the Stars or Avs would be motivated to trade for Brock since he’d be a bigger help for this year’s playoffs.

Benn-Seguin-Boeser

Or

Mackinnon/Raantanen anchoring one line, while Landeskog and Boeser anchoring another. Now all of a sudden, the Avs have two good scoring lines and could be poised to be a dark horse.

Boeser would make both teams an instant dark horse.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ignoring player cue and opposing team needs, the Canucks have Hughes in their system along with another pretty good defensive prospect on Woo. Wait a year, and keep your amazing young winger. The stars and Avs probably are not looking to deal their defenseman either.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Heiskanen isn't moving unless you're willing to overpay significantly.

We can debate "fair value in a vacuum" all we want - that doesn't mean there's an incentive for Dallas to move him.

It would take an amount that would cripple the franchise trading for him to the point of it being prohibitive.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Boeser looks to be a 40 goal/80 point threat throughout his career, based on what we've seen so far in his career. We have no there high end wingers, so I expect that Canucks fans won't want to do this deal.

Makar and Heiskanen look to be top pair Dl, with potential to be Franchise D. I don't think either the Stars or Avs would give these guys up for a winger, even of Boeser's potential;.

I do think it is a very good proposal, but I do think both teams say no.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
In the case of Colorado, perhaps trading Makar for Boeser would give them more short term help in terms of making the playoffs and being a dark horse this season.

I would use the same argument for Dallas, but the Heiskanen ship seems to have sailed already.
Adding Boeser to Colorado will not get them to the playoffs or be a dark horse contender. Their problems run much deeper than second line winger.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I get the argument, don’t get me wrong.

By the same token, perhaps the Stars or Avs would be motivated to trade for Brock since he’d be a bigger help for this year’s playoffs.

Benn-Seguin-Boeser

Or

Mackinnon/Raantanen anchoring one line, while Landeskog and Boeser anchoring another. Now all of a sudden, the Avs have two good scoring lines and could be poised to be a dark horse.

Boeser would make both teams an instant dark horse.

AVs are sinking to the bottom of the league. Playoffs chances are fading quickly and too far away by the TDL.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Dallas would never do the trade, Heiskanen looks to be elite.

Boeser for Makar is intriguing, but both teams would not do this trade at this time. Boeser is our only top line winger and Colorado would rather see what they have in Makar over trading a potential top pairing defender for a top line winger, which they already have 2 of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad