Value of: Brock Boeser for a young defenseman that plays the right side

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If you think either of your assets are equal in a trade for Boeser you’re a bigger homer than fellow Avs fan Pierce Hawthorne.

The Canucks are literally in the same position in the standings as the Avs if you think they wouldn’t move their 1st round pick for a guy that’s scored at a ~35 goal ~ 70 point rate in the NHL whos only 21 years old, you’re out of your mind.

Being compared to PH is either insulting (we never agree) or the offer is reasonable.

Looking at the scoring for both players or they're actually quite close.

The difference is you're comparing the scoring of a Winger to RHD. Valuation is significantly greater for the RHD which is not expected to be anywhere near the level of scoring of a Winger which is the least valued position.

Barrie would be tied for 3rd on your team in overall scoring or more than the combined totals of the top 2 DMan.

You might disagree about trading or value due to the expiring Barrie contract, but you're significantly undervaluing Barrie.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
He's making a post for literally anything that pops into his head. Usually this would be somewhat contained and preemptively shouted down, but without an Armchair GM thread in the Canucks forum, it's on display.

I don't want to speculate but all I'll say is that he DOES have Messier in his avatar. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cogburn

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Oh look, another Boeser trade post from you. Your rebuilding argument is ridiculous. Boeser is a crucial part of the rebuild and is the best pure goal scorer the Canucks had since Bure and hes only about to turn 22. I dont care what assets youd get, you dont trade a young elite sniper. Mods should lock this thread.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Being compared to PH is either insulting (we never agree) or the offer is reasonable.

Looking at the scoring for both players or they're actually quite close.

The difference is you're comparing the scoring of a Winger to RHD. Valuation is significantly greater for the RHD which is not expected to be anywhere near the level of scoring of a Winger which is the least valued position.

Barrie would be tied for 3rd on your team in overall scoring or more than the combined totals of the top 2 DMan.

You might disagree about trading or value due to the expiring Barrie contract, but you're significantly undervaluing Barrie.
Barrie is 27, Boeser is 21 that’s the key difference.

Which is why Boeser has much higher value.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This idea that wingers are worth a bag of pucks is so idiotic. Especially when that winger is elite in the most important and rare attribute a hockey player can have: goal scoring.

Boeser is worth a lot. Anyone who scores a goal every other game has a ton of value and the fact that he’s 21 only adds to his value. There are very few defenceman who I would trade him for. The “but he’s a winger” argument can die already. He drives play, generates shots, makes his teammates better, scores a ton, and is a great person on top of all that.

Reactions: Groo

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Active players who have a higher career goals per game rate than Boeser:

Ovechkin
Stamkos
Kovalchuk
Crosby
Malkin
Matthews
Laine

Boeser is ahead of the likes of Tarasenko, Benn, Kane, Tavares, Seguin, Perry, Kucherov, Pavelski, Kessel, and more. He’s elite and his goals per game should actually increase as he enters his prime in the next couple years.

Reactions: Canucks LB and E40

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
What a generic answer. Brock is not just any winger. Was Bossy or Hull Just a winger Ore how bout Bure or Selanne. Elite wingers who can put up 50 goals and 40 assists No matter it's moot. You need an elite player in all key positions. Then fill in with a bunch of hard-working energy players.

And the Canuckleheads in this thread aren’t asking for just any RD either. Nobody is trading a blue chip RD still on his ELC for Boeser, nor is Boeser anywhere near the level of the wingers you’re talking about.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Funny thread, someone let one of the three posters on the Nucks board who want to trade Boeser out of the Canucks sub.

There's not a single offer in this thread from a non-Canucks fan that's even remotely close and there's not a single reason for the Canucks to trade him. 1st line player that's one of the best young goal scoring wingers in the NHL who now gets to play besides a franchise playmaking C for the next 15 years. He's also the only top 6 winger on the team. As pathetic as our D is, it's still stronger and with more in the pipeline than top 6 wingers.

As for wingers being less valuable because they're so much "easier' to get, it's hard to believe I'm hearing that from a Canucks fan who's watched the last 10 years of total inability to get top line wingers like Brock.

Reactions: ddawg1950

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why does the OP keep trying to trade our best players?

Is he working for the Oilers?

I don’t actually want to trade Boeser.

I’m just trying to “think out loud” on certain situations.

1) Right defense is the Canucks’ weakest position both short term and long term.
2) The Canucks trade Boeser the equivalent value on RD (for a young player on an ELC or a bridge)
3) The Canucks sign one of Mark Stone/Matt Duchene/scoring forward in the offseason by throwing big money (which they’ll have since they won’t have to reup Boeser), while also using the idea of playing on the top line with Pettersson as a selling point. The probability of ALL of Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Ferland, etc. saying no to this is extremely low.

End result? The Canucks pretty much have the same offensive prowess up front (ie replacign Boeser with Stone or Duchene), but would now have a defense in MUCH better shape.

Now - do I want this to happen? Or think this will happen? No. Do I dislike Boeser? Absolutely not. I am literally just “thinking out loud” playing out scenarios.

I do however find it quite strange that 90% of the people in this thread don’t understand my idea and where I was coming from.

“Omg u hate beser cause u wanna trade him for a difense men! If u do that whose gonna score?!”

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
There are many other young players and prospects the Canucks could trade to upgrade the D: Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen, Gaudette etc. They severely lack scoring wingers, why trade the only one they have?

Canucks Defence next season isn’t as bad as their lack of scoring wingers..

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - UFA
Hutton - Stecher
Juolevi

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
After Boeser the Canucks top 6 wingers are..

Virtanen
Leivo
Baertschi
Goldobin
Roussel

Not throwing shade on these wingers, their above average at best. All of them are good 3rd line players, playing top 6 roles.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
If Boeser is on my team, I don't trade him unless it's for the moon and the stars.

But in saying that, it's understandable that OP would see him as expendable in exchange for a young top 2 defenseman, on a team that has been struggling since 2013

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, etc will have Canucks fans salivating for the future, in hopes it will all manifest into a top contender in the years to come. But having a core of elite forwards doesn't win anything (Edmonton), you need a complete team, from all positions. If there is a sizable hole on the blue line, it needs to be addressed, and a big sacrifice will be necessary to fill that hole.

If Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs this season and next season, they should consider a change of this magnitude.

But right now, with it still being Petersson's rookie season, and the draft lottery coming up, leave Boeser be. And see if you can draft that d-man in June, or if Hughes can dominate the blue line next season

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Funny thread, someone let one of the three posters on the Nucks board who want to trade Boeser out of the Canucks sub.

There's not a single offer in this thread from a non-Canucks fan that's even remotely close and there's not a single reason for the Canucks to trade him. 1st line player that's one of the best young goal scoring wingers in the NHL who now gets to play besides a franchise playmaking C for the next 15 years. He's also the only top 6 winger on the team. As pathetic as our D is, it's still stronger and with more in the pipeline than top 6 wingers.

As for wingers being less valuable because they're so much "easier' to get, it's hard to believe I'm hearing that from a Canucks fan who's watched the last 10 years of total inability to get top line wingers like Brock.
I'm betting you didn't read them all

VanCoolers

Feb 6, 2019
Pennsylvania
My Lineup on NHL 19

Forwards
Baertschi – Petterson (Alternate Captain) – Boeser
Roussel – Horvat ( Captain )– Virtanen
Spooner – Gaudette – Dahlen
Eriksson – Sutter – Motte

Defense
Edler ( Alternate Captain ) - Tanev
Brodin - Gudbranson
Stecher - Hughes

**SCRATCHED - Hutton, Pouliot

Goalies
Markstrom -
Demko -

Last edited:

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
My Lineup on NHL 19

Forwards
Baertschi – Petterson (Assisted Captain) – Boeser

Defense
Edler ( Assisted Captain ) - Tanev
Brodin - Gudbranson
Stecher - Hughes

**SCRATCHED - Hutton, Pouliot

Goalies
Markstrom -
Demko -

Really fascinating. I'd love to hear much more about this.

Reactions: bh53

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
My Lineup on NHL 19

Forwards
Baertschi – Petterson (Assisted Captain) – Boeser

Defense
Edler ( Assisted Captain ) - Tanev
Brodin - Gudbranson