Value of: Brock Boeser for a young defenseman that plays the right side

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
If Boeser is on my team, I don't trade him unless it's for the moon and the stars.

But in saying that, it's understandable that OP would see him as expendable in exchange for a young top 2 defenseman, on a team that has been struggling since 2013

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, etc will have Canucks fans salivating for the future, in hopes it will all manifest into a top contender in the years to come. But having a core of elite forwards doesn't win anything (Edmonton), you need a complete team, from all positions. If there is a sizable hole on the blue line, it needs to be addressed, and a big sacrifice will be necessary to fill that hole.

If Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs this season and next season, they should consider a change of this magnitude.

But right now, with it still being Petersson's rookie season, and the draft lottery coming up, leave Boeser be. And see if you can draft that d-man in June, or if Hughes can dominate the blue line next season

I don’t actually want to trade Boeser.

I’m just trying to “think out loud” on certain situations.

1) Right defense is the Canucks’ weakest position both short term and long term.
2) The Canucks trade Boeser the equivalent value on RD (for a young player on an ELC or a bridge)
3) The Canucks sign one of Mark Stone/Matt Duchene/scoring forward in the offseason by throwing big money (which they’ll have since they won’t have to reup Boeser), while also using the idea of playing on the top line with Pettersson as a selling point. The probability of ALL of Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Ferland, etc. saying no to this is extremely low.

End result? The Canucks pretty much have the same offensive prowess up front (ie replacign Boeser with Stone or Duchene), but would now have a defense in MUCH better shape.

Now - do I want this to happen? Or think this will happen? No. Do I dislike Boeser? Absolutely not. I am literally just “thinking out loud” playing out scenarios.

I do however find it quite strange that 90% of the people in this thread don’t understand my idea and where I was coming from.

“Omg u hate beser cause u wanna trade him for a difense men! If u do that whose gonna score?!”

It is not that 90% of people don't understand your point, it is that 90% of people don't agree with your point.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Isn’t Hughes a RD? Would VAN be interested in Justin Braun as sort of a stop gap? Makes 3.8M for the next few years (think it’s 2 but could be wrong). How close is Hughes to being NHL ready? If he’s a RD then Braun will be gone in a couple years but will take the tough competition from Hughes. If he’s a LD then Braun would be a good partner to put with him and help shoulder a majority of the defensive load. Price would be something like prospect+2nd but this would be contingent on EK resigning here.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Isn’t Hughes a RD? Would VAN be interested in Justin Braun as sort of a stop gap? Makes 3.8M for the next few years (think it’s 2 but could be wrong). How close is Hughes to being NHL ready? If he’s a RD then Braun will be gone in a couple years but will take the tough competition from Hughes. If he’s a LD then Braun would be a good partner to put with him and help shoulder a majority of the defensive load. Price would be something like prospect+2nd but this would be contingent on EK resigning here.
Hughes is a LD, but I don't mind the thought of Braun as a stop gap at least. But not at the price of Boeser.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hughes is a LD, but I don't mind the thought of Braun as a stop gap at least. But not at the price of Boeser.
I mean if you guys want to give us Boeser fantastic :laugh:

No but really I’d do it for a 2nd+Prospect. Don’t know your system too well but a quick look maybe someone like Lind, Brisebois, or Gadjovich.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jokiharju, Barrie, Braun, Brodie, Pulock?

Yeah, not for Boeser. I really disagree with the OPs position, but even if I did, these aren't good offers.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Boeser gets something like a Seth Jones.

No, he certainly doesn’t get Seth Jones. #1RD on a crazy good contract? Wingers don’t return that kind of value.

Ryan Johansen was #1 center when traded for Jones who was buried behind Weber and Ellis on the right side at the time of the trade.

You wouldn’t get Columbus to say yes to Pettersson but that least would be in the realm of possibility.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
No, he certainly doesn’t get Seth Jones. #1RD on a crazy good contract? Wingers don’t return that kind of value.

Ryan Johansen was #1 center when traded for Jones who was buried behind Weber and Ellis on the right side at the time of the trade.

You wouldn’t get Columbus to say yes to Pettersson but that least would be in the realm of possibility.
Lmao too me ep40 is worth two seth jones

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
McDavid isn’t worth 2 Seth Jones. You Canuck fans are completely out to lunch.
Nobody is worthy of two Seth Jones, but one Seth Jones also is not worthy of one Elias Pettersson.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
Why? You could argue we are thinner at wing going forward than on defense. This is just robbing Peter to pay Paul, except peter is actually poorer than paul in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad