Value of: Brock Boeser for a young defenseman that plays the right side

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Brock Boeser for a young defenseman that plays the right side:

This thread is an extension to the one below.

Proposal: - Brock Boeser for Miro Heiskanen or Cale Makar+

In the above thread, I had assumed that while the Heiskanen ship may not sailed just quite yet, it appears that it already has. Ditto for Cale Makar as it seems.

A few Canuck fans expressed concerns over my proposal citing that by trading Boeser for Heiskanen or Makar, you would essentially be “paying Peter by robbing Paul” (ie depleting the right wing to bolster our right side defense). Here is my response to that:

1) It’s much easier to draft/sign wingers than it is to draft/sign defensemen.

2) Freed up cap space + 2019 UFA class consisting of Stone/Duchene/Ferland + the opportunity to play with Pettersson.

I don’t think that last point can be understated enough. Free agent wingers want to play with alpha number one centers, and Pettersson has proven that he is that.

So - long story short - yes......the Canucks would be giving up an elite scoring winger in Boeser to address their long term needs on their right side defense, but it wouls be EXTREMELY unlikely that the Canucks wouldn’t be able to address their new hole on right wing given that....

1) They would have more cap space given the departure of Boeser (who will need to be reupped this summer).

2) the Canucks would be offering high ticket UFA wingers the opportunity to play alongside Pettersson.

So my new question is as follows:

Given that the Makar and Heiskanen ships have said, what would be fair value for Brock Boeser IF the Canucks were seeking a young defenseman that plays the right side, and is preferably still on an ELC (not a requirement but a preference).

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Brock Boeser for a young defenseman that plays the right side:

This thread is an extension to the one below.

Proposal: - Brock Boeser for Miro Heiskanen or Cale Makar+

In the above thread, I had assumed that while the Heiskanen ship may not sailed just quite yet, it appears that it already has. Ditto for Cale Makar as it seems.

A few Canuck fans expressed concerns over my proposal citing that by trading Boeser for Heiskanen or Makar, you would essentially be “paying Peter by robbing Paul” (ie depleting the right wing to bolster our right side defense). Here is my response to that:

1) It’s much easier to draft/sign wingers than it is to draft/sign defensemen.

2) Freed up cap space + 2019 UFA class consisting of Stone/Duchene/Ferland + the opportunity to play with Pettersson.

I don’t think that last point can be understated enough. Free agent wingers want to play with alpha number one centers, and Pettersson has proven that he is that.

So - long story short - yes......the Canucks would be giving up an elite scoring winger in Boeser to address their long term needs on their right side defense, but it wouls be EXTREMELY unlikely that the Canucks wouldn’t be able to address their new hole on right wing given that....

1) They would have more cap space given the departure of Boeser (who will need to be reupped this summer).

2) the Canucks would be offering high ticket UFA wingers the opportunity to play alongside Pettersson.

So my new question is as follows:

Given that the Makar and Heiskanen ships have said, what would be fair value for Brock Boeser IF the Canucks were seeking a young defenseman that plays the right side, and is preferably still on an ELC (not a requirement but a preference).

All the reasons you just gave for why the Canucks should make such a trade are reasons why other teams wouldn’t do so.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I don't think trading Boeser is the right move.

There are many non core veterans / young players that can be packaged instead, just have to find the right trading partner IMO.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Barrie + Avs 1st+Jost

Sandler - laughing cereal.gif

Reactions: MBTendy and Meeqs

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think people are grossly misunderstanding where I’m coming from.

1) Tradinf Boeser for a young D is on par with a rebuilding move.

2). Stone, Duchene, Ferland, etc. all available on July 1st. Canucks will have loads of cap space (assuming that Boeser is moved for a young promising dman that is on a bridge or an ELC), and players will WANT the opportunity to play with Elias Pettersson.

Reactions: wintersej

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So make it top 3 protected if you think your Avs will suck that bad

Barrie or AVs - 1st traded separately are equal to Boeser.

Combined with Jost is so ridiculous, Sakic will ensure they block further calls after they recover from the laughter. :laugh:

WTF - Harvey.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad