Great Britain: British players abroad

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Google translate is google translate but from the Germany3 club:
He convinced spectators and officials alike : Joseph Lewis showed in his first two appearances in the lions jersey last weekend that he would continue to help the team . Coach Florian radio and assistant coach Lenz radio expressed exclusively positive about the guest player .
Therefore, the management work diligently to keep the 22 - year-old from Wales in Isarwinkel . Managing Director Manfred Groeger has staked with Lewis the frame data of a commitment to the Tolz Lions . In order for a contract is possible , however, sponsors are now required . If you want to use for a financial obligation on the striker , is asked to report to Manfred Groeger ( phone : 08041/7994333 , E - mail : teg@ec -bad- toelz.de ) . Also a place for the prospective new member is wanted . First, Lewis remains at least in the spa town : Expected next week will be extending its designed for 15 days stint license .

Seems like they want to sign Lewis and asking for sponsors to help sign him lol

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks for the Lewis update.

I was on their site and honestly didn't understand the google translated version at all lol

Connor Henderson ('97) from Scotland is going abroad this season in Canada. Unsure where but the easy guess is almost always Ontario Hockey Academy.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=238044

Being from Solway and having Grubb as a coach, I assume he's on the U18 radar.

Google translate is google translate but from the Germany3 club:

Seems like they want to sign Lewis and asking for sponsors to help sign him lol

A little update regarding Lewis:

They really want to sign him because they feel he would be a very good player for them, but there are some financial issues. That is why they are now looking for sponsors to bring in enough money to sign him.

I'll keep an eye out for any new developments.

EDIT: For some reason your latest post did not show when I made my post above on my laptop a few minutes ago. Now I am at my desktop and there it is, weird. At least I can confirm that Google translate got the gist right.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
A little update regarding Lewis:

They really want to sign him because they feel he would be a very good player for them, but there are some financial issues. That is why they are now looking for sponsors to bring in enough money to sign him.

I'll keep an eye out for any new developments.

EDIT: For some reason your latest post did not show when I made my post above on my laptop a few minutes ago. Now I am at my desktop and there it is, weird. At least I can confirm that Google translate got the gist right.

Score 1 for google! :laugh:

It's good to hear he's wanted. Is this club linked to any DEL2 or DEL teams that could give him a chance at even higher levels?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Lee Bonner & the Iowa Wild U18 team beat Victory Honda 4-2 today. I may have underestimated them.

They also beat NJ Rocket 3-1 and lost to CT Wolfpack 3-2.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Score 1 for google! :laugh:

It's good to hear he's wanted. Is this club linked to any DEL2 or DEL teams that could give him a chance at even higher levels?

They are linked to the DEL team from Nuremberg, the Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers, which means the Ice Tigers can name 10 young players from their roster that can play for their team in the DEL, the Frankfurt Löwen in the DEL2 or the Tölzer Löwen in the Oberliga (Germany 3). But he is part of their roster, so I am not entirely sure if he could just be called up to one of the upper level teams. I think he would have to be signed to a contract by one of them first, but like I said I am not completely sure how it works.
I'll look into it though and if I find a good source I'll let you know what it means for Lewis.

Either way it would be very good for him to play for a team like the Tölzer Löwen as they are one of the best teams in Germany when it comes to developing players, and the bigger clubs always keep an eye out for players on this team.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They are linked to the DEL team from Nuremberg, the Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers, which means the Ice Tigers can name 10 young players from their roster that can play for their team in the DEL, the Frankfurt Löwen in the DEL2 or the Tölzer Löwen in the Oberliga (Germany 3). But he is part of their roster, so I am not entirely sure if he could just be called up to one of the upper level teams. I think he would have to be signed to a contract by one of them first, but like I said I am not completely sure how it works.
I'll look into it though and if I find a good source I'll let you know what it means for Lewis.

Either way it would be very good for him to play for a team like the Tölzer Löwen as they are one of the best teams in Germany when it comes to developing players, and the bigger clubs always keep an eye out for players on this team.

Another question you might not be able to answer, does Lewis count as an import? Obviously he's not German but he spent 3 years in DNL and most places take that into considerations.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Another question you might not be able to answer, does Lewis count as an import? Obviously he's not German but he spent 3 years in DNL and most places take that into considerations.

I can honestly say that I do not comprehend the German import rules so as expected I cannot answer the question with any degree of certainty, but before Lewis was approached by the Tölzer Löwen, there was an article that he had extended his contract with his previous team Hammer Eisbären, and in this article they referred to him as a player occupying an import slot, so it would seem he still counts as an import.

Maybe I will understand the whole import rule better after a few hours sleep. ;)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I can honestly say that I do not comprehend the German import rules so as expected I cannot answer the question with any degree of certainty, but before Lewis was approached by the Tölzer Löwen, there was an article that he had extended his contract with his previous team Hammer Eisbären, and in this article they referred to him as a player occupying an import slot, so it would seem he still counts as an import.

Maybe I will understand the whole import rule better after a few hours sleep. ;)

:laugh: thanks. I had to ask anyway. I didn't notice that in any of the articles I read but that's google translated so who the hell knows what I read haha

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Paul Swindlehurst officially signs for Indy Fuel in the ECHL:

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indy Fuel, proud ECHL affiliates of the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks and the AHL’s Rockford IceHogs, announced Monday that Mike Duco and Paul Swindlehurst signed ECHL contracts with the club, Idlar Telyakov inked a professional tryout agreement, ECHL signee Kenton Miller reported to training camp and Cory Thorson, Jordan Tibbett, Jason Torf and Denis Petrukhno were released from their agreements with the team.

Duco, a 5’10â€, 200 lb., right-handed shooting forward from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, joins the Fuel after splitting time in 2013-14 with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies and the ECHL’s Orlando Solar Bears. Entering his seventh season in professional hockey, Duco has 18 career NHL games to his credit with the Florida Panthers and the Vancouver Canucks and, having logged 267 career AHL games with the Rochester Americans and Chicago Wolves, is one of two players (Garrett Klotz) on the Fuel’s 2014 preseason roster with ECHL “veteran†status.

A native of Blackrod, Great Britain, 21-year old defenseman Swindlehurst spent 2013-14 in the United Kingdom’s Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) with the Dundee Stars in Scotland. A participant in Chicago’s 2014 NHL Rookie Camp, Swindlehurst was invited to and participated in Rockford’s AHL training camp last week. Telyakov, a 6’9â€, 219 lb. defenseman from St. Petersburg, Russia, joins the Fuel after stints in 2013-14 with SKA-Kareliya St. Petersburg in Russia’s VHL, the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye and the CHL’s St. Charles Chill. Also announced Monday, Fuel ECHL signee Miller reported to Indy’s training camp after participating in AHL camp with the Manchester Monarchs.

In addition, the Fuel released Monday that ECHL signee Cory Thorson has been waived by the club and goaltenders Jordan Tibbett and Jason Torf, and defenseman Dennis Petrukhno, were released from their tryout agreements with the club.

The Fuel drop the puck on their 2014 ECHL preseason schedule Tuesday and Wednesday night with back-to-back games vs. the defending Kelly Cup Champion Alaska Aces! Both games will be broadcast live from Sullivan Arena in Anchorage, Alaska on your flagship station for Indy Fuel Hockey, CBS Sports 1430 WXNT-AM with Fuel broadcaster Tony Brown providing the play-by-play beginning at 11:00 pm both nights. Fans can also access the broadcast, free of charge, via the live stream on www.cbssports1430.com and via the free “TuneIn†Radio app on their smartphones.

In 2014-15, the Indy Fuel, the proud “AA†affiliate of the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks and AHL’s Rockford IceHogs, drop the puck on their first season in the ECHL. Season ticket packages for the Fuel’s inaugural campaign are available now starting at just under $12 per game! To reserve your seats, contact the Fuel today at (317) 925-FUEL or visit www.indyfuelhockey.com for more information. Be sure to follow the Fuel on Twitter @IndyFuel and don’t forget to ‘Like’ the official “Indy Fuel†fan page on Facebook.

Also, here are Sam Duggans first 6 games stats in Sweden J18Elit:

Code:
Rk  No  Name           Pos  GP  G  A  TP  PIM  +  -  +/-  GWG  PPG  SHG  SOG  SG%  FO+  FO-  FO  FO%  
4 15 Duggan, Samuel LW   6   2   3   5   2    8   3   5     0       0     1      17   11.76   65   35  100  65.00

He also played up in the J20 SuperElit league team for Orebro at the weekend. Ending with 0pts, -1 and winning 1/1 FO's. Good sign that he has already played up to U20!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's been pretty fun to follow Duggan since the Swedish stat source is top notch.

Shows the lines, faceoffs, +/-, etc.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It's been pretty fun to follow Duggan since the Swedish stat source is top notch.

Shows the lines, faceoffs, +/-, etc.

Totally agree. I am following a couple of German kids over there, and it is a delight to see such detailed statistics for Junior hockey.
And Duggan certainly seems like a kid to keep an eye on.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Totally agree. I am following a couple of German kids over there, and it is a delight to see such detailed statistics for Junior hockey.
And Duggan certainly seems like a kid to keep an eye on.

I'm so tempted to buy a few streams but you have to do it for a month so I haven't bothered yet. Maybe if Orebro J18 get to Allsvenskan.

Another goal and assist tonight.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/10/07_learning_curve.php

When Scott Conway was around age 12, he left Great Britain for Florida — and a better chance at a hockey career.

“It was a little hard at first, leaving all my friends behind and school and everything’s completely different,” Conway said. “The food, the schooling and the culture’s a little different.”

Conway was familiar with the United States, since his dad owned a house in Florida. But that year, the Conway family took the overseas trip to live with Scott for a year. After arriving in Florida, Scott and his sister Indya raced to get rid of their British accents.

“People kept on asking me, can you say a certain thing, and it kind of got annoying so I quickly changed that as soon as I could,” Conway said.

Conway won the race, but spent the next chunk of his life living with different billet families as he moved to the Midwest to continue hockey.

“[The] toughest was just thinking about my mom and talking to her every other day,” Conway said. “She was just crying and stuff like that.”

Conway moved from Florida to Michigan to play for Victory Honda. While adjusting to new family routines was hard, Conway found the food situation particularly difficult.

“That’s pretty much the hardest part, food-wise,” Conway said. “My mom would cook me dinner every night and my first year I was out, we’d have leftovers in the fridge or something like that so I’d have to heat that up or make something myself.

“I really wasn’t a good cook at that age so I didn’t know how to do it.”

Erik Autio also struggled with the language barrier when he moved to Penn State — from Espoo, Finland.

There are other day-to-day challenges for Autio, who receives transitional help from his mentors Nate Jensen and Patrick Koudys,

“Academically I think is going to be harder," Gadowsky said of his freshman. “He’s an extremely bright young man and very successful student so I know he’s going to do well, but I think that’s a challenge. Some of just the vocabulary itself is going to be difficult and it’s going to take probably more focus from him than we’d normally see.”

Autio started hockey in Finland a couple years after his elder brother began playing. But after spending his entire life playing hockey in his native country, Autio knew he had to leave.

“In Finland, once you go to the university level you kind of don’t have the opportunity to both play hockey on a good level and go to college,” Autio said. “So I [wanted] to play hockey on the level I feel I can play on, but I want to take care of education as well.

“That’s why I wanted to make the transition.”

Autio is one of three freshmen playing with the Nittany Lions this season. Along with Conway, Autio is one of two skaters who hail from Europe.

“He’s handling really well so far it seems,” Gadowsky said. “His transition is tough, I think, but he seems to be handling it really well.

“I know the guys understand the transition might be a little harder than what they went through. So far they, I think Erik is finding help from them and they really enjoy having Erik around.”

In Finland, many people may not watch hockey but many people play, Autio said. It wasn’t the same in Great Britain, where Conway grew up.

“It’s kind of like Florida. There’s not much of it, but there’s enough to go around,” Conway said of Great Britain hockey.

“It’s not big compared to soccer and rugby and cricket. But there [are] a lot of people, friends and family, who go support.”

Scott’s dad, Kevin, is in Great Britain’s hockey hall of fame and represented Great Britain in several IIHF World Championships. Kevin also served as Scott’s coach while the younger Conway grew up.

“He taught me everything I know up to now, except a few things coaches in junior hockey taught me,” Conway said.

Now, about seven years after the initial move to the U.S., Conway’s mom and sister live in Great Britain. His dad still lives in Florida.

For Conway, England will always be his home. But Conway has spent a good portion of his life in the U.S.,

“Then again, Florida’s my home too,” Conway said. “I’ve been moving around since I was 12 years old. I’ve been away from my parents. Every year I’ve been to a different school.

“So where I was raised, I consider that my home.”

Autio called Finland a hockey nation, a country that cheers on its national teams. Autio represented Finland internationally on several teams, including the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament

“We haven’t had a chance to see him play personally,” Gadowsky said, “[But] we know he’s an extremely intelligent hockey player that very reliable and has had some great experiences internationally so we expect him to add a certain defense.”

Autio also played for Finland in the U-18 Four Nations Tournament and again in the IHF World U-18 Championship in 2013.

“It’s great, always great to play against the best players at my age in the world,” Autio said. “Especially playing in North America on smaller ice, it was a great opportunity for me to see kind of where I am compared to the best guys in the world.”

The transition to college hockey features a new set of challenges, as Autio will face stronger players and better skaters.

“We lift a lot more weights in here than we do back at home in Finland,” Autio said. “The drills that we do on the ice are a lot different. The type of hockey that we play on the ice is a lot different so that is going to be a challenge for me in the first game, but it gets better every day.”

Regardless of the transition, Gadowsky said he expects Autio to contribute this season. He expects the same from Conway, who netted 68 points in 57 games with the USHL Champion Indiana Ice last season.

“Scott Conway is someone that was very successful offensively in junior hockey,” Gadowsky said. “That’s something we’re going to rely on him, we expect him to contribute right away.”

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...view-strong-minnesota-squad-positioned-repeat

The Nittany Lions have the fewest number of incoming freshmen of any NCAA team this season with three. One to keep an eye on is Scott Conway. The Basingstoke, England native is a winger who is noted for his hands and tremendous scoring ability. Conway, who is eligible for the 2015 NHL Draft, is the cousin of former Michigan State Spartan Brett Perlini and 2014 Arizona Coyotes draft pick Brendan Perlini.

Donno why they say he's 2015 eligible when he was 2013 eligible but yet, a mention is a mention is a mention.

NCAA Games start tonight.
Penn State 12:00AM (Conway)
Maine 5:00AM (Musil)
UAH 2:37AM (Prince)

All UK times.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
Ben O'Connor has left Arlan Kokshetau and has signed a short term deal with the Steelers, presumably until a better deal comes around.

I've been searching the KZweb, but there have been no real reasons forthcoming. One would assume that it's a pay dispute/falling out with the top brass, considering how well O'Connor has consistently been in the Kazakh league.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ben O'Connor has left Arlan Kokshetau and has signed a short term deal with the Steelers, presumably until a better deal comes around.

I've been searching the KZweb, but there have been no real reasons forthcoming. One would assume that it's a pay dispute/falling out with the top brass, considering how well O'Connor has consistently been in the Kazakh league.

It's the Kazakh league, they could have ran out of money and stopped paying him lol it wouldn't be the first time.

Apparently Swindlehurst was traded and released already...

Well that escalated quickly... The Chicago organization was talking about how they expected him to be in the AHL next season.

blair3

Oct 6, 2009
Does anybody know what the situation is with Paul Swindlehurst? Seeing how well he was reported to have done with the pre season camps I can't understand why no ECHL team has signed him yet.

Also I see the Elite Hockey Prospects have Sam Duggan as a potential NHL Draft pick 2016. I'm not sure what that is based on but hopefully it has some substance.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Does anybody know what the situation is with Paul Swindlehurst? Seeing how well he was reported to have done with the pre season camps I can't understand why no ECHL team has signed him yet.

Absolutely no clue.

It's comical how many people were reporting on it when it seemed like good news and now there literally has been 1 mention of him on twitter since he was cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad