Great Britain: British players abroad

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
How awesome would it have been to snaffle Perlini... I sometimes think that all it would take to improve the sport's popularity in this country is a really good player to make it in NA...

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
99.8% sure that he will stay in Cardiff and ruin his chance to shine elsewhere...
As a Cardiff fan I am delighted.

As a Cardiff fan I would also like to extend the courteousy of calling your local hockey club shit.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You wouldn't have wanted to see him succeed and inspire young brits to choose ice hockey?
Explain how playing in a league that we don't even have TV access too would inspire a new generation of hockey players?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Good start for Liam Steele with Stanstead College. He is the team captain. The u20 squad has been announced with quite a few players playing overseas from Poland to America with several in the USPHL. It seems more kids are prepared to go overseas to get that better competition and coaching to develop themselves. While an indictment on youth hockey domestically I hope it reaps rewards long term.

Hull City Council have dropped plans for a new ice arena in Albion Square but is apparently looking for another location within the city. Hull Pirates will not be competing in this years EIHL as a result of their Ice Arena still being refurbished. I wonder if they will move to the proposed new one or Hull could have two rinks.

I would dearly love to see some more rinks and associated teams spring up with a juniors set up.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Good start for Liam Steele with Stanstead College. He is the team captain. The u20 squad has been announced with quite a few players playing overseas from Poland to America with several in the USPHL. It seems more kids are prepared to go overseas to get that better competition and coaching to develop themselves. While an indictment on youth hockey domestically I hope it reaps rewards long term.

Hull City Council have dropped plans for a new ice arena in Albion Square but is apparently looking for another location within the city. Hull Pirates will not be competing in this years EIHL as a result of their Ice Arena still being refurbished. I wonder if they will move to the proposed new one or Hull could have two rinks.

I would dearly love to see some more rinks and associated teams spring up with a juniors set up.

Hull will have only one arena. I was up there a few weeks ago and there sounds like there is background gossip about just why the new arena was killed. Only partly due to funding. Sounds like there was someone in the background, either music and some other entertainment person who had a plan for the place but he/she/it dropped out and took their money with them. Complete hearsay but sounds like there is a story behind what has happened.

AS far as I am aware, Hull was not on the EIHL plans till 2024

Reactions: BMann

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Some good UK talents out there such as Duggan, Kirk, Graham, Steele, Cade Neilson, Mason Alderson. Probaly forgot someone.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I am sure he is eligible and I remember him being on the long list for GB at age group level once, but was always playing at too high a level to be interested enough to report

He is in EIHL now. Should be a man for the WC later in may?

Jordan Cownie seems to be good. Maybe him too.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Had a very good tournament along with Neilson. Three one goal margin defeats scuppered promotion. Inconsistency and poor coaching. To lose to Romania 4-3 especially with Crowe letting in 3 softies over a 131 second stretch is unforgiveable.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
There is an on-going issue with the GB coaching set up at junior levels. Martin Grubb has been in the role for a long time and the team consistently underperforms. They certainly should not be coming home with 2 wins from 5 and a bronze medal. I'm not saying they should be in the WJC, far from it, but they should be playing at a higher level than they have been, and yet nothing ever happens. Friends in the right places, I guess.

Which leads me onto...Tony Hand. He was appointed national development coach a couple of years ago, which was odd because he had no real record of working in that area and (IIRC) it was the first time the governing body had appointed someone to a full time position. You'd think they could have recruited someone with a strong track record in player development, but apparently not.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
There is an on-going issue with the GB coaching set up at junior levels. Martin Grubb has been in the role for a long time and the team consistently underperforms. They certainly should not be coming home with 2 wins from 5 and a bronze medal. I'm not saying they should be in the WJC, far from it, but they should be playing at a higher level than they have been, and yet nothing ever happens. Friends in the right places, I guess.

Which leads me onto...Tony Hand. He was appointed national development coach a couple of years ago, which was odd because he had no real record of working in that area and (IIRC) it was the first time the governing body had appointed someone to a full time position. You'd think they could have recruited someone with a strong track record in player development, but apparently not.

Jobs for the boys. Do the kids even know who he is ? Get some experienced overseas coaches in and get IHUK and the clubs to create a long term plan for developing players. One of the essentials is spotting talent early and making sure it gets the right coaching early on. Then send them overseas if necessary.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
IHUK is a complete sh*tshow and always has been; same old faces, same crappy results. Granted the fact our senior team has been in the top division of the WC for a few years now is miraculous, but to have a top division nation whose junior teams are struggling at Div2 level against the likes of Spain is an embarrassment.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What happend with Kirk? To bad he was drafted by a shit organisation. He had NHL quality, but now its over, because he is a 7th rounder. GM is dinosaurs.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
What happend with Kirk? To bad he was drafted by a shit organisation. He had NHL quality, but now its over, because he is a 7th rounder. GM is dinosaurs.

Season ending cruciate ligament injury. Shame as he was settling in nicely at Tucson.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is Jack Hopkins, Samuel Cooper, Mack Stewart considered big talents in UK?

Also why is not Kieran Brown playing in EIHL?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Is Jack Hopkins, Samuel Cooper, Mack Stewart considered big talents in UK?

Also why is not Kieran Brown playing in EIHL?

Keep an eye on Ben Norton the young netminder who is in the US. Was outstanding behind a sieve at the Divisonal Championships. Hopkins could well move to Sweden, Germany or possibly Canada given his level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->