Great Britain: British players abroad

blair3

Oct 6, 2009
With the changes to IIHF rules (two years hockey in the country from age 10) does anybody know if Josh Cook could be available for the senior GB team?

Cook is one of the largish contingent of Brits in the WSHL. I think him along with David Clements might be shots for the GB senior team long list this season. Having said that I don't know much about the quality of the league, are they playing at a level that is high enough for them to mix it with some of the Elite League Brits?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
With the changes to IIHF rules (two years hockey in the country from age 10) does anybody know if Josh Cook could be available for the senior GB team?

Cook is one of the largish contingent of Brits in the WSHL. I think him along with David Clements might be shots for the GB senior team long list this season. Having said that I don't know much about the quality of the league, are they playing at a level that is high enough for them to mix it with some of the Elite League Brits?

WSHL is a steep step below NAHL and a feeder for NCAA III/ACHA. For what it's worth, only 4 NCAA III alumni are in the EIHL right now and 0 ACHA alumni because most come from the CHL or NCAA.

The only benefit to the league is there is no import limit like USHL/NAHL (Canada accepts 0 non-NA citizens)

triguy

May 11, 2015
Apologies, topic jump a little here, but not sure quite where to post this.

I've been flicking through some of the messages and have a couple of questions:

- as a dad living out his dreams through his 10 year old son, what are the rules around him playing for GB if he has only spent 1 year of his life there? He was born in London, moved to Austria where he started hockey at 5, moved to USA for the last 3 years, where he's one of the 3 best players on his AAA team and now we're moving again to Denmark. I have no idea if he will continue to develop but as a kid with dreams I normally at least say well if you don't make the NHL you can always play for England :) Having read some of the posts on 2 year requirements I'm now a little nervous that I've been lying to him all this time!! He only has British citizenship, nowhere else...

- 2nd question - I've noticed someone with a Danish flag posting here. As we are moving to Copenhagen in a couple of months I've linked him up to Rodovre which I've heard good things about for youth hockey. Has anyone any insight?

Thanks for any feedback

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Apologies, topic jump a little here, but not sure quite where to post this.

I've been flicking through some of the messages and have a couple of questions:

- as a dad living out his dreams through his 10 year old son, what are the rules around him playing for GB if he has only spent 1 year of his life there? He was born in London, moved to Austria where he started hockey at 5, moved to USA for the last 3 years, where he's one of the 3 best players on his AAA team and now we're moving again to Denmark. I have no idea if he will continue to develop but as a kid with dreams I normally at least say well if you don't make the NHL you can always play for England :) Having read some of the posts on 2 year requirements I'm now a little nervous that I've been lying to him all this time!! He only has British citizenship, nowhere else...

- 2nd question - I've noticed someone with a Danish flag posting here. As we are moving to Copenhagen in a couple of months I've linked him up to Rodovre which I've heard good things about for youth hockey. Has anyone any insight?

Thanks for any feedback

-"He only has British citizenship, nowhere else..." as long as that remains true, he should be eligible (with an appeal) as he fits the Liam Stewart model perfectly. Stewart was born in London with British & New Zealand passports, grew up in USA but never acquired citizenship, and was able to make an appeal to the IIHF and was granted eligibility with GB.

The "2 year rule" begins after age 10 so if he's going to be playing in Denmark from now on, USA & Austria are completely irrelevant, his eligibility window starts now. Even if your son had American and/or Austrian citizenship, he wouldn't be eligible for them because of the 2 year after 10 rule. If he acquires Danish citizenship & plays there for the next 2 years, then he'd be ineligible for GB & only eligible for Denmark (unless you end up moving back to GB of course).

The best way to ensure that he remains eligible for GB (without living in GB) is simply by making sure he sticks it out with just the British passport!

-Unfortunately the Danish flag on my profile is just an hfboards thing, I'm not actually from Denmark.

With that said, I do know enough about Denmark to tell you that Rødovre is one of the best hockey programs in Denmark. Obviously sitting on the Sweden/Denmark boarder helps and you'll have SHL hockey right across the bridge in Malmo this year.

Rødovre is also the hometown club of the Eller brothers (NHL/WHL) & Bodker brothers (NHL/Denmark) among many other Danish professional hockey players.

Not a bad place to play at all!

Last edited:

triguy

May 11, 2015
Many thanks to you both :)

I'll come back and update in a few years' time!

Separately - just in case anyone knows. I know the England U13 team sends a squad to Quebec Pee Wee. Any idea how/who to contact to register some interest - I assume there are some sort of tryouts but obviously we are a bit off the radar and it's always good to benchmark. Wouldn't be for next year of course, but 2017/18.

Thanks again

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Many thanks to you both :)

I'll come back and update in a few years' time!

Separately - just in case anyone knows. I know the England U13 team sends a squad to Quebec Pee Wee. Any idea how/who to contact to register some interest - I assume there are some sort of tryouts but obviously we are a bit off the radar and it's always good to benchmark. Wouldn't be for next year of course, but 2017/18.

Thanks again

Those England teams are run by EIHA therefore they usually only include players within the EIHA system. I can't think of any examples of kids playing for the England teams while playing abroad but I could be wrong.

Their contact info can be found here:
http://eiha.co.uk/team-england/

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Thanks again

Will let you know in a few years if his dreams are still alive!

Please do:P I am actually from denmark and have no relation to the UK, except that I lurk around the "smaller" hockey nation boards out of interest.

Rødovre is a great choice:) They have been developing a bunch of talent, also recently. Great organisation and one of those hockey cities in denmark. Hockey is VERY regional in Denmark, and thee are a few smaller cities where hockey is a big deal. Rødovre is clearly the best choice in the sealand region of denmark.
Good program....especially on the youth side.

Best of luck.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
This looks like a great move for him. He has been incredibly productive in the EIHA junior leagues, fingers crossed it works out.

It's the sort of move that Kieran Brown could do with making in a year (if not now!).

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
This looks like a great move for him. He has been incredibly productive in the EIHA junior leagues, fingers crossed it works out.

It's the sort of move that Kieran Brown could do with making in a year (if not now!).

I've said this before but the EIHA should use some of its £500,000 reserve funds to establish a scholarship for the best young players to go overseas from 16-18 (or even 20). That's the only way our best youngsters will have a chance of fulfilling their potential - by playing at a higher level, alongside and against better players, with better coaches and a daily training regime.

Never going to happen though.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I've said this before but the EIHA should use some of its £500,000 reserve funds to establish a scholarship for the best young players to go overseas from 16-18 (or even 20). That's the only way our best youngsters will have a chance of fulfilling their potential - by playing at a higher level, alongside and against better players, with better coaches and a daily training regime.

Never going to happen though.

It would send a pretty odd message to the kids staying in EIHA.

"This kid looks good so we're going to pay to get him out of our system rather than spend money on you lot as you rot here in the system we don't feel like fixing"

Maybe the EIHL teams should be the ones doing that, they're the ones complaining that the locals aren't developed to their liking.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk

"This kid looks good so we're going to pay to get him out of our system rather than spend money on you lot as you rot here in the system we don't feel like fixing"

Maybe the EIHL teams should be the ones doing that, they're the ones complaining that the locals aren't developed to their liking.

That is a very good point. I agree that more players need to move abroad if they want to develop closer to their potential. However, EIHA aren't ever going to dip in to this reserves and if they did it would need to be to enhance the development on a group of players. Like putting on a development camp 3 times a year in the school holidays where they get in too coaches from around the world and the best players from a range of she groups can train and play against each other for a week....like I said, not going to happen!!

Also, I don't think EIHL teams are going to pay to send a player to train/play somewhere else with no garuntee it will ever benefit them. I suppose the league as a whole or IHUK would be more likely to invest in a scholarship program.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London

The vast majority of junior hockey in GB is, essentially, rec standard. And that's fine for the vast majority of players who will never be anything more than rec players, or more likely stop playing once they hit university. But it means that there is a block imposed on the small handful of genuinely talented youngsters playing the game here.

As I see it there are two options: remove the best youngsters from their clubs and locate them at 4 regional academies playing one another at U16/18/20 age groups, or select the very best 4 or 5 at the age of 16 (once they've finished their exams) and give them a scholarship to go overseas to clubs of a certain standard.

The first option would be much more expensive but politically explosive and therefore never going to get the support of the clubs. The second option is certainly elitist but it's cheaper and more likely to be acceptable. If we want to see out best youngsters fulfil their potential, and we want the game as a whole to grow, then we need to do something drastic.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
The vast majority of junior hockey in GB is, essentially, rec standard. And that's fine for the vast majority of players who will never be anything more than rec players, or more likely stop playing once they hit university. But it means that there is a block imposed on the small handful of genuinely talented youngsters playing the game here.

As I see it there are two options: remove the best youngsters from their clubs and locate them at 4 regional academies playing one another at U16/18/20 age groups, or select the very best 4 or 5 at the age of 16 (once they've finished their exams) and give them a scholarship to go overseas to clubs of a certain standard.

The first option would be much more expensive but politically explosive and therefore never going to get the support of the clubs. The second option is certainly elitist but it's cheaper and more likely to be acceptable. If we want to see out best youngsters fulfil their potential, and we want the game as a whole to grow, then we need to do something drastic.

I understand your point but if you think the second option wouldn't be hugely criticized by every parent of kids staying in EIHA, you're kidding yourself.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Has Kieran Brown moved to North America?

And how talented is he compared to Samuel Duggan & Richard Krogh?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Has Kieran Brown moved to North America?

And how talented is he compared to Samuel Duggan & Richard Krogh?

Yes, he moved to the Iowa Wild AAA program in Des Moines.

It's a pretty tough comparison to make until they all play at a competitive level. Right now we've had an opportunity to see Duggan as a 15/16 year old with GB U18/U20. If Brown and/or Krogh get that chance, we'll at least have a good sample to look at.

It would be so much easier to discredit Browns EIHA numbers if they weren't so outrageous. 3rd in England U16 all-time and he was only 13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad