Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
But what about Bellows' hot streak? Shouldn't he get credit for that? I personally care a lot more about him improving and being hot and productive now as opposed to a slow start. Bellows has started to produce - as an Islander fan, I'd much rather see the curve going up. What were the reasons for his slow start? I dunno, but I don't care all that much if he's indeed producing and continues to do so.

The thing is DalColle did this last year too and then got called up and it didn’t translate at all so I’m not too enthused yet on Bellows as you can argue both he and DalColle have the same issue in their skating that could hurt them in the NHL

Reactions: MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The thing is DalColle did this last year too and then got called up and it didn’t translate at all so I’m not too enthused yet on Bellows as you can argue both he and DalColle have the same issue in their skating that could hurt them in the NHL

That's fine and don't disagree. But we kill the guy for not having our prospects produce. And frankly, I don't know enough about the inner workings of the BP staff and coaching/development philosophy to really comment one way or another on how they're doing. But when one of our much maligned prospects starts producing, that has to be at least be somewhat credited to the CS. I don't think the CS is responsible for his skating. That's something that they need to put the time in on their own. I don't really know if Bellows has what it takes to make the next step - but I'd rather see him scoring goals than not scoring. And to the extent everyone blamed Thompson for Bellows doing nothing, I'll give him some credit for Bellows starting to come around.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
What's up with Wilde is he not developing or injury, still not 100%? I haven't seen him play since last season. Any updates would be appreciated.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Another night another loss....even if you argue Thompson hasn't had much to work with, I'd just like to see a change to have these guys hear other voices in the room. Thompson has never done enough to rely on a track record or write this year off as a bad season.

Reactions: Islanders4Cups

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Another night another loss....even if you argue Thompson hasn't had much to work with, I'd just like to see a change to have these guys hear other voices in the room. Thompson has never done enough to rely on a track record or write this year off as a bad season.

I presume you are watching the Soundtigers often.
I don’t, but they are 7-5 in their last 12 games after a bad start.

Is Thompson really as bad as you say?
So what is their problem exactly?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Kids ridiculous

Last season I brought up a theory on Bellows regarding his production. He typically takes a season to get acclimated and then starts to produce offensively.

First year of World Juniors he was used very little and the second year he lit it up with 10 points in 7 games.
Sucked at BU and lit it up at Portland.
Sucked first season at Bridge and is now is starting to light it up.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Last season I brought up a theory on Bellows regarding his production. He typically takes a season to get acclimated and then starts to produce offensively.

First year of World Juniors he was used very little and the second year he lit it up with 10 points in 7 games.
Sucked at BU and lit it up at Portland.
Sucked first season at Bridge and is now is starting to light it up.

I remember you saying this last year, and thinking it does seem to follow suit with him.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I think Bellows requires a playmaker that can bring out his best, the shot is clearly NHL caliber he competes on the boards and in the corners let’s hope he’s found his game and his progression continues.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For anyone watching the Tigers since Bellows explosion, who is he skating with now?

I haven't seen them play since before Thanksgiving. Bellows was skating with Jeff Kubiak at that time and they couldn't generate any offense.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Bellows requires a playmaker that can bring out his best, the shot is clearly NHL caliber he competes on the boards and in the corners let’s hope he’s found his game and his progression continues.

I like that he is scoring legit goals where he is flat out beating goalies with his shot. The hope has to be that the lightbulb has come on and he's found his game. We all knew he was a sniper and he is reaffirming that belief. Trotz probably cares more about his complete game developing though so that's hard to see unless you view him regularly.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I like that he is scoring legit goals where he is flat out beating goalies with his shot. The hope has to be that the lightbulb has come on and he's found his game. We all knew he was a sniper and he is reaffirming that belief. Trotz probably cares more about his complete game developing though so that's hard to see unless you view him regularly.
Bellows goals came in bunches last year too. But last year Bellows always worked hard even when he wasn't scoring and was tough to play against. This season Bellows was much more of a non-factor in the games I saw him play. I didn't notice him winning board battles and I didn't notice him driving to the net. He was taking one-off shots from above the circles. I'd love to know what's changed since then.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
For anyone watching the Tigers since Bellows explosion, who is he skating with now?

I haven't seen them play since before Thanksgiving. Bellows was skating with Jeff Kubiak at that time and they couldn't generate any offense.
These were the lines from yesterday.

F: Bellows-Lorito-McDonald (A)
Jobst-Stevens-Schilkey
St. Denis - Koivula - Ho-Sang
R.Bourque-Kubiak-Bardreau
(S.Holmstrom-scratch)
D: Wotherspoon-Burroughs (C)
Hutton-Cornell
Helgeson (A)-Quenneville
G: Skarek
Coreau

Seemed like he wasn’t skating as well earlier in the year and was hanging out on the periphery of the zone where he can’t be productive.

Looks like he’s skating better since the benching. he’s getting to the slot where he can get his shot off and he’s nearly unstoppable from that area.

Who knows why but my guess is these guys are trying to learn Lamoriellos system and are being hesitant to make mistakes in the o-zone.

Last night was a good sign but they were playing against a depleted penguins team.

Reactions: PWJunior and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Jobst-Stevens-Schilkey
(S.Holmstrom-scratch)
Hutton-Cornell
Helgeson (A)-Quenneville
Coreau

Seemed like he wasn’t skating as well earlier in the year and was hanging out on the periphery of the zone where he can’t be productive.

Looks like he’s skating better since the benching. he’s getting to the slot where he can get his shot off and he’s nearly unstoppable from that area.

Who knows why but my guess is these guys are trying to learn Lamoriellos system and are being hesitant to make mistakes in the o-zone.

Last night was a good sign but they were playing against a depleted penguins team.
Having Lorito back and healthy is big for the Tigers. When Ladd was sent down he was slotted next to Lorito and they were immediately effective.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

Jobst-Stevens-Schilkey
(S.Holmstrom-scratch)
Hutton-Cornell
Helgeson (A)-Quenneville
Coreau

Is Holmstrom a healthy scratch? And if that's the case, I'm a little surprised that Sweden didn't ask the Islanders to lend him for the WJC.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Some Notes:

In defense of Bellows...he's coming around in year 2 whereas MDC started in year 4/5.

Bellows got 19 points in 73 games last year. He's got 12 points in 30 games this year. This is ONLY his second pro season and he didn't play top minutes last year.

MDC has 11 points in 54 NHL games. I think Bellows can do at least that now.

FYI: JHS has double MDC + 2 more points (24) than MDC in one less NHL game.

I would rather have Johnston @ 61 games and 12 points than MDC's 11 points in 54 games. Johnston has a role, MDC doesn't.

Bellow's role in the NHL. He's the guy with a ripper of a shot. He is known for his scoring touch. MDC has no identity on the team... what's his role?

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Is Holmstrom a healthy scratch? And if that's the case, I'm a little surprised that Sweden didn't ask the Islanders to lend him for the WJC.
Upper body injury. I thought they were holding him out for the wjc as well.

Reactions: xIsle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig