Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
And aho just got a point lol. 1-0 tigers. Otto Koivula with his 13th goal assisted by S aho and Boroughs. Otto K could be rookie of the year in the AHL if he keeps this up.
Koivula was quiet for a few games, good to see him scoring again. A 20 goal rookie season as a center would be a huge accomplishment for him

Reactions: 1CupSince

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
1-1 going into intermission. And yes a 20 goal rookie season would be okay, but he can do better. 25 or so is what I expect, especially now with more PP time since MDC is with the isles.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
BST seem to be rolling over here. Not having Toews and MDC (and Aho) has really sent the team into a tailspin

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Any Ho-Sang updates. Does he look like he wants to take over the offensive leadership of the team?

Far from it. His first game down he was sulking. Granted he isn't really sulking anymore but he's playing bad hockey. Bad turnovers, low % passing plays, long shifts, lots of gliding and watching, lots of blue line cherry picking.

The more I watch him in BP recently the more I believe he's being traded at the deadline.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For anyone who wants to play hooky tomorrow, the Sound Tigers have another 10:30AM game tomorrow against Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

If you go bring noise reducing ear plugs.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Far from it. His first game down he was sulking. Granted he isn't really sulking anymore but he's playing bad hockey. Bad turnovers, low % passing plays, long shifts, lots of gliding and watching, lots of blue line cherry picking.

The more I watch him in BP recently the more I believe he's being traded at the deadline.
Yes he has not been same player he was before he went up. He needs to shoot the puck he is ridiculous sometimes. He had play today on power play where he was in top of circle and they just gave him shot knowing he wouldn’t shoot it. He hasn’t had a shot in goal in three games which for an offensive player is nuts.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
He has no value at this point, he's too erratic he was given every opportunity and he somehow manages to self destruct each time. There seems to be a deeper issue here.
And I don't think its anything a coach can correct.

Reactions: Finnislander

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
BST seem to be rolling over here. Not having Toews and MDC (and Aho) has really sent the team into a tailspin

Kevin27nyi said:
Hard spot for them, losing top line players.

Need the goalies to really assist.

Just wrote about this the other day (Page 36).
Screenshot: Screenshot

If you're really following, there is NO EXCUSE for this team to be in the doghouse in the manner they are.

This team was built as one of the deepest in the AHL coming into the season, and that's taking into account that guys like Koivula and to a lesser extent Gaudreau weren't really expected to be having (this) much of an offensive impact.

Alone messers Bourque, Fritz, St. Denis, Gionta, and Sislo should be strong enough up front to ensure that this team never loses more than 2 in a row.

Simply cannot say "Poor BPort, what with Toews and Dal Colle in the show...".

They have more than enough player material to be one of the top AHL outfits.

The recent futility has me asking what's going on in the locker room and behind the bench.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

If you're really following, there is NO EXCUSE for this team to be in the doghouse in the manner they are.

This team was built as one of the deepest in the AHL coming into the season, and that's taking into account that guys like Koivula and to a lesser extent Gaudreau weren't really expected to be having (this) much of an offensive impact.

Alone messers Bourque, Fritz, St. Denis, Gionta, and Sislo should be strong enough up front to ensure that this team never loses more than 2 in a row.

The recent futility has me asking what's going on in the locker room and behind the bench.
For one thing, their goaltending has been underwhelming. Neither Christopher Gibson nor Jeremy Smith has a sv % over .900 and that's a problem.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Yes, Yes, Yes to your post.

Let's also not forget coaching. How in the world does Brent Thompson still have a job? Did I miss something in his resume during his prior AHL head coaching stint and while he was assisting Captain Jack?
While I love what LL and BT have done to change the organization's attitude, accountability and performance, they misfired on Thompson and Gomez.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Yes, but on the positive side almost every big prospect is performing well. Aho, Koivula. (MDC / toews) now up with the big club. IMO ho sang is not a part of the future. I suspect lou trades him at the deadline or this summer.

Let's see what the tigers do in the playoffs.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
On the glass half empty side (after all I am an Isles fan), the Tigers are now only 3 points out of a playoff spot if the teams behind them win their games in hand. The Tigers also have a negative goal differential FWIW. so are they really that good?
I will give Thompson credit for MDC's progress but less so for Aho and Toews who both are succeeding on their own merits IMO.
He certainly hasn't helped JHS and frankly MVS and Wotherspoon haven't made the big strides that one would have hoped for after Toews was called up.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Yes, but on the positive side almost every big prospect is performing well. Aho, Koivula. (MDC / toews) now up with the big club. IMO ho sang is not a part of the future. I suspect lou trades him at the deadline or this summer.

Let's see what the tigers do in the playoffs.
Making the playoffs is far from certain

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
On the glass half empty side (after all I am an Isles fan), the Tigers are now only 3 points out of a playoff spot if the teams behind them win their games in hand. The Tigers also have a negative goal differential FWIW. so are they really that good?

It wasn't too long ago that they were safely in a playoff spot and had a pretty good goal differential.

I will give Thompson credit for MDC's progress but less so for Aho and Toews who both are succeeding on their own merits IMO.

One way or the other, Aho and Toews have been directly affected by Thompson's coaching. There's not getting around that.

He certainly hasn't helped JHS and frankly MVS and Wotherspoon haven't made the big strides that one would have hoped for after Toews was called up.

I would think that a blueline consisting of Aho (ok, injured in recent weeks), MVS, Wotherspoon, Burroughs, Helgeson, and Rathgeb should be able to be the difference in a number of games.

MJF said:
For one thing, their goaltending has been underwhelming. Neither Christopher Gibson nor Jeremy Smith has a sv % over .900 and that's a problem.

True. Goaltending does seem to be in a real funk.

At the same time, it's not like the team is dropping one 7-5 result after another. There was a 6-4 loss recently. Otherwise, a lot of 3-2s and 4-3s.

Anyhow, I've looked at the results of the past 12 games. In essence, the team is 5-7 over that span, so it's not the sky-is-falling scenario I felt it recently seemed like.

Maybe they'll get back on track soon.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sucks to see Bridgeport sliding after a promising start. They did lose their best player/defensemen, and best forward, but as others have said they were built to withstand a couple hits to the depth chart.

If BPT misses the playoffs, I think Thompson’s gone.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
2-0 scranton. Ho sang with a really soft play in the O zone along the boards. He got shoved on a soft play, lost the puck turnover they score.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Just seeing the posts about Hosang down in the A, it seems doubtful we are going to get anything for him, might just have to release him at some point. Given his defensive lapses, and his uninspired reactions to demotions, I'd wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Europe in a few years. We've had opposite ends of the management/coaching spectrum and both don't see this guy as an NHLer and he doesn't seem to be motivated enough to improve. We took a shot on a late 1st and it didn't pan out, so be it.

Reactions: Finnislander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad