Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Hopefully Toews comes back :( after the all star break

I’m sure he will come back as soon as possible. But if Hickey is ready, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay in BPT for a bit. Ladd skating as well (though I’m assuming he goes to BPT on a conditioning stint), which means another roster spot might be needed.

Isles are going to have to make a move to get rid of some of the junk or wait until the rosters expand if they want Toews as an everyday player. We are getting to the point in the season where the best 23 have to play.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I’m sure he will come back as soon as possible. But if Hickey is ready, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay in BPT for a bit. Ladd skating as well (though I’m assuming he goes to BPT on a conditioning stint), which means another roster spot might be needed.

Isles are going to have to make a move to get rid of some of the junk or wait until the rosters expand if they want Toews as an everyday player. We are getting to the point in the season where the best 23 have to play.

Toews is going to be back up as soon as the allstar break is over he is easily a top 4 defenseman on the team right now.

MDC should hopefully stay down at the bridge for the rest of the season. Hopefully he keeps improving and has a good offseason and earns a spot on the big club next year.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Toews is going to be back up as soon as the allstar break is over he is easily a top 4 defenseman on the team right now.

MDC should hopefully stay down at the bridge for the rest of the season. Hopefully he keeps improving and has a good offseason and earns a spot on the big club next year.

Why? Then we seriously downgrade the 3rd line. Ladd is a bum!

Maybe we can call up JHS but he's more of a defensive liability and doesn't play a 3rd line roll.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sound Tigers drop another one. Lose to the SWB Penguins 5-2.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Why? Then we seriously downgrade the 3rd line. Ladd is a bum!

Maybe we can call up JHS but he's more of a defensive liability and doesn't play a 3rd line roll.

I like MDC, but he isnt ready to play in the nhl just yet. He needs to get stronger and faster. I think he has a good shot at being a full time player next year. Ladd is every bit the player MDC is right now, and that says more about MDC than it does about Ladd.

Reactions: dood

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I like MDC, but he isnt ready to play in the nhl just yet. He needs to get stronger and faster. I think he has a good shot at being a full time player next year. Ladd is every bit the player MDC is right now, and that says more about MDC than it does about Ladd.

We'll see. I know from what I hear including the dipping dot sources that the organization gave MDC a clean slate this year and they are high on his potential based upon this seasons large margin of improvement / production in the A.

BTW for any newbies my source is a long time season ticket holder that on occasion gets invited to sit in the owners boxes, and also invited to tons of team events.

I've seen what he can do offensively in the AHL, 40g season pace this year. His upside is way way higher than anything ladd offers.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
We'll see. I know from what I hear including the dipping dot sources that the organization gave MDC a clean slate this year and they are high on his potential based upon this seasons large margin of improvement / production in the A.

BTW for any newbies my source is a long time season ticket holder that on occasion gets invited to sit in the owners boxes, and also invited to tons of team events.

I've seen what he can do offensively in the AHL, 40g season pace this year. His upside is way way higher than anything ladd offers.

And what's better for his development scoring 40 goals and playing top minutes in the ahl or letting him play 12-13 minutes a night in the nhl next to 2 guys that are relied on heavily to provide good defense and little offense?

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
And what's better for his development scoring 40 goals and playing top minutes in the ahl or letting him play 12-13 minutes a night in the nhl next to 2 guys that are relied on heavily to provide good defense and little offense?

I think that's a fair argument. We'll see. Right now he's back in the A with D toews. 100% toews is coming back, and possibly they leave MDC with BP for a bit. We'll see what the Godfather (lou) orders.

Reactions: WangMustGo

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
if he’s playing for Barry Trotz, the 12-13 minutes he gets next to Komarov and Filppula is an invaluable learning experience. Let him learn how to play solid defense up here, the offense will come. Keep MDC in the NHL.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
if he’s playing for Barry Trotz, the 12-13 minutes he gets next to Komarov and Filppula is an invaluable learning experience. Let him learn how to play solid defense up here, the offense will come. Keep MDC in the NHL.
Either spot ain't gonna kill him. As we've discussed in several other threads, I'd give him a chance to skate with Barzal for a bit and see what happens. Worst case is that they swap back, which is fine.

But I think he loses his starting spot when Ladd is fully healthy (if, that is). If/when we get to that point, I'd rather him be at BP playing than up here as a healthy scratch. But before any of that happens, lets give him some time on the first line and see what he can do. He's done a decent job as the forechecker on the 3rd line and has played solid if unspectacularly. Give him a few shifts with #13 - see what happens.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Regarding Dal Colle:
IF Ladd is healthy and can go after the all-star break, do you think they'll keep him and his 5.5 million per contract in the press box so that they can continue to check out Dal Colle in that 3rd line role?

I mean common - the economics will dictate Dal Colle's fate then.

Reactions: Finnislander

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Even with Toews the best 23 aren't on this team. An example Aho is also a better option than Hickey. It's been like this all year and as long as LL is in charge it won't change.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ladd is going to fill his spot. Hes not a bad player at all, he's just not worth what he's getting paid...He's fine in the 3rd line role. Same with Yashin back in the day. Good player, just not worth what he was getting paid. We are here to win and we can't win with MDC just yet.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Even with Toews the best 23 aren't on this team. An example Aho is also a better option than Hickey. It's been like this all year and as long as LL is in charge it won't change.
So your saying Lou isn’t trying to ice the best team he can? I like Aho a lot I think he could be just as good as Toews but he isn’t as far along as Toews and isn’t necessarily ready to play full time in nhl even though he is close.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
So your saying Lou isn’t trying to ice the best team he can? I like Aho a lot I think he could be just as good as Toews but he isn’t as far along as Toews and isn’t necessarily ready to play full time in nhl even though he is close.

I'm saying LL is stubborn in his ways. Hes not a youth movement guy instead he's loyal to vets. That is why he re-signed Thomas Hickey in the first place. And it took an injury to him for Toews to be called up.
Now they are going to send the better player down who's helping the team win instead of trading Hickey?

And Ladd is one of the worst players on this entire roster.
And people are talking about dealing Beau or sending him an MDC down.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I'm saying LL is stubborn in his ways. Hes not a youth movement guy instead he's loyal to vets. That is why he re-signed Thomas Hickey in the first place. And it took an injury to him for Toews to be called up.
Now they are going to send the better player down who's helping the team win instead of trading Hickey?

And Ladd is one of the worst players on this entire roster.
And people are talking about dealing Beau or sending him an MDC down.
They never said Toews was staying in Bridgeport I’d be shocked if he isn’t in lineup when they return against Tampa. Ladd is a better fit than MDC right now he just is, MDC is improving but the time in ahl still will do him good.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Ladd is going to fill his spot. Hes not a bad player at all, he's just not worth what he's getting paid...He's fine in the 3rd line role. Same with Yashin back in the day. Good player, just not worth what he was getting paid. We are here to win and we can't win with MDC just yet.

Can't win with MDC? Have you seen the teams record since he's been called up? The isles have done nothing but win with MDC. 1st place in the metro....?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Can't win with MDC? Have you seen the teams record since he's been called up? The isles have done nothing but win with MDC. 1st place in the metro....?
It was definitely cap thing and to keep them in better shape as Trotz said neither Hickey or Ladd would be ready to play out of break. I hope personally Hickey is ok he took bad fall but I’d imagine he had concussion and he has been out now 15 games so it must have been bad.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
They never said Toews was staying in Bridgeport I’d be shocked if he isn’t in lineup when they return against Tampa. Ladd is a better fit than MDC right now he just is, MDC is improving but the time in ahl still will do him good.
Ladd is getting paid like a top six player. Does he fit better on the third line?
I've been pleasantly surprised by MDC 's play so far.
Why mess with a winning team's chemistry?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

It’s a numbers game. If there is a spot on D he will get called up. If Hickey is back I don’t think they call him up.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not sure any team has their "best" lineup every night. Most have someone who goes down because it's better to not lose assets for nothing on the waiver wire.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Regardless of Hickey’s health, I will be shocked of Toews is not right back up; as shocked as I am that NYI is in first.

Hickey is our 7, where he finally should be.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Uh, this is exactly how it should be. This is exactly how reputable, winning franchises function.

BTW, don't forget that Toews only played 30 games last season, missing the entire conclusion of the previous season.

Every team in its right mind would start him off in the AHL, give him the time to get back in the flow, test the surgically repaired shoulder, and also demand of him that he show there that he's worth a spot ahead of guys like Hickey and Sbisa.

That's how you do things in the real world and foster the environment of achievement necessary to develop a long-term winner.

Giving jobs away to shiny new toys is sooo Milbury.

Actually, the only thing we're seeing right now is that Dal Colle and Toews have been sent down during a 9-day NHL break. Dal Colle will be at the AHL All-Star game. Both Dal Colle and Toews will, I believe, have the opportunity to play 2 games with the Sound Tigers before the NHL kicks off again.

If Toews is NOT back up with the team, then you can bet your bottom dollar that it means one thing and one thing only - Hickey is going to be given a few games to get back into to game shape, then a deal is being made to move a Dman, likely Hickey himself.

Because... this is also a business and that's how you run it if you're smart.

And Lou is smart.

We'll see Toews back in the show soon enough.

Reactions: crasherino and dood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad