Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2023-24: Youngblood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
HOLY CRAP! AIDAN FULP SCORED.

also alex jefferies scored his 2nd goal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The baby Isles lost 5-4 in the SO today at home against Rochester.

Notable is that they were down 4-0 after one and came back to put it into OT.

Two quick takes:
- Iskhakov really hops around out there and is constantly adding flair and spice to the pot. He's making the moves and passes that basically no-one does.
- Color me pretty convinced that Maggio gonna make his way to the NHL one day. Give him 3 whole years in the AHL and he'll be ready.
- Plenty of times tonight where Dufour looked like the place where pucks go to die. Be it unsuccesfully chipping pucks out of the zone or overcomplicating his zone entries, sometimes combining them with blind passes (that don't work), he's making life hard for himself. Still, they had him out there for a 4-on-3 OT PP where the Isles just couldn't be dangerous enough.
- Maggio and Jefferies were unsuccessful in the shootout.

WORCESTER:
The team just completed the first of two huge 3-in-3 weekends. This one was wild. Trailing Maine for the last playoff spot in the east by one point, they got crushed 6-2 Friday night in Maine. They then bounced back with two home wins, namely 8-2 yesterday and 9-5 today. The highlight of today's game was a 5-goal performance (!) by Ashton Calder, one of the team's topscorers. He got 2 assists as well. But perhaps more notable is that Worcester was down 4-1 after 25 minutes. The crowd REALLY got its money's worth over the next 35 minutes of the game.

In all, there were nice offensive contributions by Jenkins, Newkirk, Pivonka, and Cosgrove this weekend too, including 3 assists from Pivonka today. Krygier scored his 2nd goal of the season.

Tikkanen was in goal for the 6-2 loss Friday and 9-5 win today. Very interestingly, but not exactly impressive, is that he allowed 5 goals against on just 27 shots in BOTH of those games. There were some not-so-pretty goals against in both games.

The team now sits in 8th place with 70 points to Maine's 69, but Maine has a game in hand.

Worcester finishes its season with 3 road games in Trois-Rivieres next weekend, a team currently in 10th place. The Quebec-based team has 4 fewer points, but 3(!) games in hand.

Worcester is best served sweeping things, which is obviously asking a lot.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: leeroggy and Metnut

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Tikkanen was in goal for the 6-2 loss Friday and 9-5 win today. Very interestingly, but not exactly impressive, is that he allowed 5 goals against on just 27 shots in BOTH of those games. There were some not-so-pretty goals against in both games.

The team now sits in 8th place with 70 points to Maine's 69, but Maine has a game in hand.

Worcester finishes its season with 3 road games in Trois-Rivieres next weekend, a team currently in 10th place. The Quebec-based team has 4 fewer points, but 3(!) games in hand.

Worcester is best served sweeping things, which is obviously asking a lot.
ECHL likely has a lot of variables involved (just like juniors).

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Do we see call-ups this week, now that Bport is mathematically eliminated?
They have 4 games left, 2 next weekend.

Call up Maggio, Isk, Dufour, and Hutton

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Can’t imagine they want to mess with the chemistry in the room while they are fighting for a playoff bid. Once the dust settles there, you should see these guys called up.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Too early for that. If the Islanders make the playoffs they'll be around.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
3-1-4 in 8 games ain't all that shabby for a debut.

And they threw him out there for penalty shots.

Seems to be making quite the first impression.
He will be 23 next November, so similar to Toews when he came out of school in the sense that he is more polished. Just for perspective, he older than Maggio and the same age as Holmstrom.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I know this team is horrible, but Maggio is 1 goal off the team lead in 9 less games, as a rookie no less.

I'm not sure how much impact the missed time he had due to personal reasons played into it, but Dufour regressed this season.

1712592882459.png

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I know this team is horrible, but Maggio is 1 goal off the team lead in 9 less games, as a rookie no less.

I'm not sure how much impact the missed time he had due to personal reasons played into it, but Dufour regressed this season.

View attachment 848147
Dufour is really lazy player a lot of the time, when he feels like it he is good player. He just doesn’t put in the effort consistently.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Dufour is really lazy player a lot of the time, when he feels like it he is good player. He just doesn’t put in the effort consistently.

What I notice about Dufour is that he'll have a game every now and again where it feels like he's firing pucks and is in on almost all of the bigger offensive opportunities.

But then he'll play 3-5 games where he's a nonchalant turnover machine.

I'm gathering that this is the key thing they're working with him on down in da Port.

It goes above and beyond being consistent. He's got to get the "suck" out of his system. If he wants to take the next step, there's simply gotta be more awareness and consequence in his actions.

Reactions: Potvottier

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Haven’t seen any Bridgeport games , only junior, preseason and brief NHL period but I wasn’t as impressed as some here were about Dufour. His edgework seemed limited and in todays game that spells trouble. Maggio on the other hand , my viewing in preseason had me saying he’s legit. Time will tell

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Haven’t seen any Bridgeport games , only junior, preseason and brief NHL period but I wasn’t as impressed as some here were about Dufour. His edgework seemed limited and in todays game that spells trouble. Maggio on the other hand , my viewing in preseason had me saying he’s legit. Time will tell
Agree. I'd never put Dufour in a bottom-6 role. Maggio's game is much more well-rounded. He can be a hound, a pest, and he's got hands. Even if he lacks elite skills or skating, he should be able to play a role. I don't see any of that with Dufour.

I think one can say the same thing about Finley - I think he'll likely be a NHLer in some role or other. As will imo Danny Nelson.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The comments regarding Dufour make me think he’s the latest version of Wahlstrom.

Just 2 years ago, I thought we had a steal on our hands. I envisioned him as a top 6 player based on the countless highlights of him in Juniors and the way he carried his team to a Memorial Cup win.

So, for those who’ve actually seen him play, is he Wally 2.0?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The comments regarding Dufour make me think he’s the latest version of Wahlstrom.

Just 2 years ago, I thought we had a steal on our hands. I envisioned him as a top 6 player based on the countless highlights of him in Juniors and the way he carried his team to a Memorial Cup win.

So, for those who’ve actually seen him play, is he Wally 2.0?
I don't think so, for 2 reasons.

1. Dufour has an NHL-calibre shot. It's heavy and accurate.

2. He actually does have skating ability, but does not have a motor. To me, guys like Fasching, MacLean, an in BPT, Maggio always have there legs moving. That's having a motor. Dufour isn't playing hard every night. I think he can be coached up with that part of his game.

When you have size and some tools like skating ability and a shot, you don't give up on the guy that quickly. I hope to see a hungrier, less passive player in camp this September.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

2. He actually does have skating ability, but does not have a motor. To me, guys like Fasching, MacLean, an in BPT, Maggio always have there legs moving. That's having a motor. Dufour isn't playing hard every night. I think he can be coached up with that part of his game.

When you have size and some tools like skating ability and a shot, you don't give up on the guy that quickly. I hope to see a hungrier, less passive player in camp this September.
Thanks for the insight.

Maybe he can sit down in the offseason with his French Canadian coach to share some poutine. They can invite Pageau (assuming he’s still around) and have him pay the tab. It’s the least he can do since he’s not earning his salary.

Reactions: MJF

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

I think Dufour lacks hockey sense. I’ve seen him play in person whenever Bridgeport is in town. He never seems to know where to go on the ice and as a result is never in position.

Reactions: Olliemets and MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad