Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2023-24: Youngblood

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Interesting... he did not have a single point in the game, was a -1, but was 1st star. i don't think I have ever seen that before.
If the kid is the real deal and can be an NHL top 6 that is a huge shot in the arm for this organization

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
they may not want that many goalies under contract eating into the 50 max (lennox more 2 years , skarek 1 more year) otherwise I'd love to keep Tikk in the system .
Tiki has better numbers this season than Skarek has ever put up. They should just make Skarek the backup in Bridgeport (so Lennox can continue to get a bunch of starts in Worcester) and if Skarek wants to go back to Czechia to play in the pro league they can mutually agree to part ways. NYI can acquire a minor leaguer quite easily to replace Skarek.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Tiki has better numbers this season than Skarek has ever put up. They should just make Skarek the backup in Bridgeport (so Lennox can continue to get a bunch of starts in Worcester) and if Skarek wants to go back to Czechia to play in the pro league they can mutually agree to part ways. NYI can acquire a minor leaguer quite easily to replace Skarek.
I wonder since Tiki doesnt have an NHL contract - Can someone outright sign him to one right under Lou's nose ?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Maggio and Ish with nasty shootout goals against Hartford tonight

Unfotunately, Iskhakov has missed on several breakaways in regulation time recently, which theoretically would have prevented a need for a shootout in the first place...

I wonder since Tiki doesnt have an NHL contract - Can someone outright sign him to one right under Lou's nose ?

Theoretically, yes.

they may not want that many goalies under contract eating into the 50 max (lennox more 2 years , skarek 1 more year) otherwise I'd love to keep Tikk in the system .

They'll sign Tikkanen. No worries.

They've already invested as much as possible without having a guy actually signed by the big club. And he's gone out of his way this season to show that he's worth having in the system.

The clarity thereof is exacerbated when you see his play in comparison to Appleby and Skarek's.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Heck, there are mid-20s goalies in several of Europe's leagues who are ripe for the signing right now. Right in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, in fact.

A handful would immediately be better than Skarek and Appleby.

Not so many are going to leave an established starting job to just come to the AHL. It'd have to be an NHL 2-way deal with a given/realistic #3 possibility.

But yes, there are always options and it feels like Skarek is currently a wasted contract.

Reactions: Potvottier

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Unfotunately, Iskhakov has missed on several breakaways in regulation time recently, which theoretically would have prevented a need for a shootout in the first place...

Theoretically, yes.

They'll sign Tikkanen. No worries.

They've already invested as much as possible without having a guy actually signed by the big club. And he's gone out of his way this season to show that he's worth having in the system.

The clarity thereof is exacerbated when you see his play in comparison to Appleby and Skarek's.
Don't be guided by Tikkanen's game yesterday against Lehigh Valley. 2 soft goals and one flukey one. 1st goal on the first shot beat his glove a la Jakub Skarek. 3rd goal squeezed through the 4 hole. Maggio was clearly frustrated with himself, missing on some shots where it was him alone on Cal Peterson.

Just not enough yesterday from the B-Isles. Lehigh Valley did a pretty good job of snuffing out the little traction the Isles tried to get going.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Don't be guided by Tikkanen's game yesterday against Lehigh Valley. 2 soft goals and one flukey one. 1st goal on the first shot beat his glove a la Jakub Skarek. 3rd goal squeezed through the 4 hole. Maggio was clearly frustrated with himself, missing on some shots where it was him alone on Cal Peterson.

Just not enough yesterday from the B-Isles. Lehigh Valley did a pretty good job of snuffing out the little traction the Isles tried to get going.

I saw the third period. I was surprised to see that they had let in 4 goals with Tikkanen in net.

Or perhaps just "Aww, shucks"-type disappointed?

The boys coulda tied that thing up. Chances were there, even in the dying seconds.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I saw the third period. I was surprised to see that they had let in 4 goals with Tikkanen in net.

Or perhaps just "Aww, shucks"-type disappointed?

The boys coulda tied that thing up. Chances were there, even in the dying seconds.
This was my first time seeing Tikkanen in person and I was hoping to be wowed. Maybe it was the time change to Daylight Savings Time. Maybe he just threw a clunker. Maybe Tik needed more support. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What is the organization hoping for out of Aidan Fulp? I've seen no progress from him this season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What is the organization hoping for out of Aidan Fulp? I've seen no progress from him this season.

I'd love to provide you with an answer.

But I have none. He looked like a totally underwhelming signing when it happened and that hasn't changed.

Granted, I knew nothing much about him or Mitchell last spring, feeling somewhat happy to just see Lou actually add to the system from the outside after so many years of not really doing it, but I've got other lists of young undrafted players I wouldn't mind seeing this organization add and when we see a guy like Fulp, it just feels like a completely wasted contract slot.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'd love to provide you with an answer.

But I have none. He looked like a totally underwhelming signing when it happened and that hasn't changed.

Granted, I knew nothing much about him or Mitchell last spring, feeling somewhat happy to just see Lou actually add to the system from the outside after so many years of not really doing it, but I've got other lists of young undrafted players I wouldn't mind seeing this organization add and when we see a guy like Fulp, it just feels like a completely wasted contract slot.
Fulp plays just about every game and doesn’t dazzle. He’s not as solid as Hutton was when he came in as an undrafted out of college. Certainly Fulp doesn’t have an offensive flair, or even skate well.

I guess Fulp we be another minor leaguer of little consequence. He shot his shot.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Fulp plays just about every game and doesn’t dazzle. He’s not as solid as Hutton was when he came in as an undrafted out of college. Certainly Fulp doesn’t have an offensive flair, or even skate well.

I guess Fulp we be another minor leaguer of little consequence. He shot his shot.
He was billed as defensive D and won awards for being one of the better ones that year. Upside was always low, just org depth.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Lou needs to unload. His problem is being too much of a players GM. Most people that leave are successful in their own right Burroughs found work, Ness found work...golyshev is in the KHL, Ho-sang, though a different story is still about. The one that gets me is Wotherspoon. The Bruins love him and he's playing top 2 min. Why TF did we sign Mayfield when we could have gotten Wotherspoon for 800K??? They do the same shit and Wotherspoon is the BETTER skater.

Enough with this player loyalty...it's important, but not to the point of hurting the team...AND for some reason...there's always that one guy the team has confidence in...and there's nothing special about them..Holmstrom/Bolduc....Great...second generation MDC/Jurcina

I'm just waiting for Iskakhov to leave because he will never get a call up.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Lou needs to unload. His problem is being too much of a players GM. Most people that leave are successful in their own right Burroughs found work, Ness found work...golyshev is in the KHL, Ho-sang, though a different story is still about. The one that gets me is Wotherspoon. The Bruins love him and he's playing top 2 min. Why TF did we sign Mayfield when we could have gotten Wotherspoon for 800K??? They do the same shit and Wotherspoon is the BETTER skater.

Enough with this player loyalty...it's important, but not to the point of hurting the team...AND for some reason...there's always that one guy the team has confidence in...and there's nothing special about them..Holmstrom/Bolduc....Great...second generation MDC/Jurcina

wotherspoon was playing 20 minutes a night when lindholm was out for a few weeks

since the trade deadline and lindholm's return he seems to be getting scratched often which seems odd considering he was recently extended . Bruins added Peeke at the deadline so maybe thats a contributing reason

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

If your message is that we should not have signed Mayfield then you certainly have a point, but they were many on this board that were happy to have him re-up in the usual Lou style, long-term at a lower AAV. As for Wotherspoon, he might have enough talent to be a third pairing Dman, maybe.
Burroughs, Ness and Golyshev? They were all tweeners at best who should never have been getting regular ice time on an NHL playoff team. Collectively, I’d say there’s no great loss there.

I have no great expectations for Isakov either but if you’re advocating for him to get a cup of coffee here, I can’t argue with it.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Alex Jeffries scored his first AHL goal. Welcome to the league where they play for pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad