Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2023-24: Youngblood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We've known for a while that there'd be no playoffs in Bridgeport.

The same fate has now befallen upon Worcester.

They had three games this weekend against a direct rival for the final playoff spot, all on the road.

Despite taking the first contest 3-2, they then got shut out 2-0 and 4-0 the last two games and with that, both Maine and Trois-Rivieres finished ahead of them in the standings. Sadly, Tikkanen didn't really look good on any of the goals against over the final two games.

For my taste, pretty doggone bitter to see both your affiliates out of the playoffs, especially when you're also backing your way in on what will technically be a losing record, even if achieved.

Worcester featured a lot of guys the Isles either drafted or announced the signings of when the Lamoriellos added them to the organization:
Isles = Tikkanen, Jenkins, Pivonka, Krygier, & Newkirk
Baby Isles = Cosgrove, Garat, Kulikov, Cipollone, Piercey, & Kopperud

Pivonka finished the season 21-24-45 and +5 in 60 games. I'd say that was a fine first pro season, all things considered.

He is a player who should be looking at MacLean as career projectory inspiration.

Reactions: leeroggy

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

They had three games this weekend against a direct rival for the final playoff spot, all on the road.

Despite taking the first contest 3-2, they then got shut out 2-0 and 4-0 the last two games and with that, both Maine and Trois-Rivieres finished ahead of them in the standings. Sadly, Tikkanen didn't really look good on any of the goals against over the final two games.

For my taste, pretty doggone bitter to see both your affiliates out of the playoffs, especially when you're also backing your way in on what will technically be a losing record, even if achieved.

Worcester featured a lot of guys the Isles either drafted or announced the signings of when the Lamoriellos added them to the organization:

Pivonka finished the season 21-24-45 and +5 in 60 games. I'd say that was a fine first pro season, all things considered.

He is a player who should be looking at MacLean as career projectory inspiration.
Time for a reassessment of the entire system. From the parent club on down

Reactions: DerekKingSnipes

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

The most major take is that the goaltending at both the AHL and ECHL levels just hasn't been close to good enough.

Both BPort and Worcester have more than enough pieces in the line-up to be middle-of-the-road in those league. Worcester basically was.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The most major take is that the goaltending at both the AHL and ECHL levels just hasn't been close to good enough.

Both BPort and Worcester have more than enough pieces in the line-up to be middle-of-the-road in those league. Worcester basically was.
It still bothers me that the Islanders made the decision to keep Henrik Tikkanen in the ECHL most of the season instead of promoting him to the AHL and working with Chris Terreri and the Bridgeport coaching staff. Once Tik showed flashes of talent at the AHL level in his January call-up the organization should have committed to his development right there. An opportunity lost.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It still bothers me that the Islanders made the decision to keep Henrik Tikkanen in the ECHL most of the season instead of promoting him to the AHL and working with Chris Terreri and the Bridgeport coaching staff. Once Tik showed flashes of talent at the AHL level in his January call-up the organization should have committed to his development right there. An opportunity lost.

Yep, I agree.

Like we recently mentioned, he likely went down to Worcester to get them into the playoffs.

But why couldn't Appleby have done that?

Tikkanen should have gotten that attention you mention because he's the only guy here who theoretically could throw his name into the NYI hat at some point down the line.

I hope they didn't blow it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yep, I agree.

Like we recently mentioned, he likely went down to Worcester to get them into the playoffs.

Tikkanen should have gotten that attention you mention because he's the only guy here who theoretically could throw his name into the NYI hat at some point down the line.

Henrik Tikkanen was recalled from Worcester this morning :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

Just as minor thing Jenkins wasn’t on Ahl deal anymore, signed with Hartford and has played some games with them this year also.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Yep, I agree.

I actually think isles aren’t going to sign Tikkanen tbh. Maybe Ahl deal again but they still have Skarek signed next year and Lennox who got hurt IMO is still seen as guy they like. I’d like to see them sign a good Ahl vet who could be third goalie on isles depth chart.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Think this is happening honestly, there are guys coming in next year like Gill, Jeffries, Thiesiing up front and George, Warren and maybe Odelius on D. My two goals in Bridgeport would be get a good Veteran goalie and a top line Ahl center who is veteran.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Think this is happening honestly, there are guys coming in next year like Gill, Jeffries, Thiesiing up front and George, Warren and maybe Odelius on D. My two goals in Bridgeport would be get a good Veteran goalie and a top line Ahl center who is veteran.
I’m really talking about the decision makers. Lou, Chris, the scouts, the coaches.

I actually think isles aren’t going to sign Tikkanen tbh. Maybe Ahl deal again but they still have Skarek signed next year and Lennox who got hurt IMO is still seen as guy they like. I’d like to see them sign a good Ahl vet who could be third goalie on isles depth chart.
That would be a mistake.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’m really talking about the decision makers. Lou, Chris, the scouts, the coaches.

That would be a mistake.
They changed coaches away from Thompson last summer so not sure that’s happening again. I really think the downfall of Bridgeport was goaltending, they couldn’t get save at all from Skarek. Maybe you’re right and they should sign Tikkanen, if that’s case you try and somehow get rid of Skarek and sign a veteran to play with him. I really think they need good veteran who could also serve as third goalie for isles. A good Ahl veteran center is needed, guy who can put up 60-70 points. Isles do have some wing prospects in Bridgeport and I have some hope for Gill but a top center is need.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just as minor thing Jenkins wasn’t on Ahl deal anymore, signed with Hartford and has played some games with them this year also.

I was under the impression that he signed with Worcester itself and then took some kind of ATO with Hartford along the way. I could be wrong. He definitely played some with the Wolfpack.

Just had to throw him in there when mentioning how many actual current (or former) Isles draft picks are on that team.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Got nhl deal also so to me that means there were other teams in on him. The college playoff games I watched he was on top pair with Seamus Casey. Never can have too many defensemen in organization.

Oh yes, we certainly weren't the only team after him.

Not clear on why Minnesota didn't manage to sign him - or just decided not to.

And he is an LI boy!!!

And honestly, this could've been the main reason he decided to sign here over anyone else.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Here's hoping they can somehow dissolve that Skarek contract.

I recall having often seen a guy on an NHL deal spend the last year or two with a European team. Don't know who was actually paying him in those situations.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
They changed coaches away from Thompson last summer so not sure that’s happening again. I really think the downfall of Bridgeport was goaltending, they couldn’t get save at all from Skarek. Maybe you’re right and they should sign Tikkanen, if that’s case you try and somehow get rid of Skarek and sign a veteran to play with him. I really think they need good veteran who could also serve as third goalie for isles. A good Ahl veteran center is needed, guy who can put up 60-70 points. Isles do have some wing prospects in Bridgeport and I have some hope for Gill but a top center is need.

No doubt BPort will once again be chock full of winger/forward options next season.

Currently NYI-signed and in the system:
- Maggio
- Dufour
- Liukas
- Jefferies
- Kuefler
- Gauthier
- Thiesing

Guys in the system on minor league contracts and in or plying for an AHL spot:
- Kubiak
- Pivonka
- Cipollone
- Randl
- Piercey
- Kopperud

Drafted forwards who may still be added to the fray this offseason:
- Gill
- Ljungkrantz

Hot candidates right out of Worcester:
- Bakanov
- Calder
- Callin

Our minor league RFAs:
- Iskhakov
- Koivula
- Newkirk
- Thompson

Pinho and Kuhlman are UFAs and if they aren't re-upped, 2-3 others of their ilk will surely be added.

Reactions: Potvottier

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
No doubt BPort will once again be chock full of winger/forward options next season.

Currently NYI-signed and in the system:
- Maggio
- Dufour
- Liukas
- Jefferies
- Kuefler
- Gauthier
- Thiesing

Guys in the system on minor league contracts and in or plying for an AHL spot:
- Kubiak
- Pivonka
- Cipollone
- Randl
- Piercey
- Kopperud

Drafted forwards who may still be added to the fray this offseason:
- Gill
- Ljungkrantz

Hot candidates right out of Worcester:
- Bakanov
- Calder
- Callin

Our minor league RFAs:
- Iskhakov
- Koivula
- Newkirk
- Thompson

Pinho and Kuhlman are UFAs and if they aren't re-upped, 2-3 others of their ilk will surely be added.
Ilk?
Ilk?
Ilk?

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
After losing to Lehigh Valley 3-0 Friday night, the baby Islanders concluded the season with a 4-1 win Saturday, giving them 25 victories on the season.

Tikkanen was in net for both games.

The goals were scored by Gauthier (2), Jefferies, and Bardreau, all righty shots.

Iskhakov (51), Pinho, Cholowski, and Koivula were the only players on the team to hit the 30-point mark this season, with Koivula having done it in 47 games.

Long gone is the day and age where even the worst AHL and IHL teams seemed to feature 5+ players with 50 points or more per season.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
After losing to Lehigh Valley 3-0 Friday night, the baby Islanders concluded the season with a 4-1 win Saturday, giving them 25 victories on the season.

Tikkanen was in net for both games.

The goals were scored by Gauthier (2), Jefferies, and Bardreau, all righty shots.

Iskhakov (51), Pinho, Cholowski, and Koivula were the only players on the team to hit the 30-point mark this season, with Koivula having done it in 47 games.

Long gone is the day and age where even the worst AHL and IHL teams seemed to feature 5+ players with 50 points or more per season.
Jefferies finished his ATO with 7 points (4 goals) in 12 games.

Tyce Thompson (who Durandeau was traded for), has 3 goals in 66!!! games spread across both Utica and Bridgeport.

Jefferies is smack dab in the middle of Iskhakov and Dufour as far as age but I think he’s the most polished/NHL projectable out of those three.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Jefferies finished his ATO with 7 points (4 goals) in 12 games.

Tyce Thompson (who Durandeau was traded for), has 3 goals in 66!!! games spread across both Utica and Bridgeport.

Jefferies is smack dab in the middle of Iskhakov and Dufour as far as age but I think he’s the most polished/NHL projectable out of those three.

I liked what I saw. He jumped right in and looked pretty comfortable.

Can definitely see him kicking off next season with something like 10 or 12 points in the first 30-35 games, then pretty much becoming a PPG player after that. There's some slickness to his game.

Reactions: Potvottier

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I liked what I saw. He jumped right in and looked pretty comfortable.

Can definitely see him kicking off next season with something like 10 or 12 points in the first 30-35 games, then pretty much becoming a PPG player after that. There's some slickness to his game.
I can see Jefferies and Matt Maggio make some noise at training camp this September. Maggio has a high drive. Let him stay healthy and see what he does.

As an aside, I think I'd like to see the entire staff in Bridgeport swept out and start with new everything down there (yes Chris L too, but I'm just howling at the moon on that one). I can't point to one positive thing Rick Kowalsky accomplished this year. None of his players appear to be NHL ready, and I think some like Dufour and Vincent Sevigny were actually more engaged in the games with Brent Thompson than the current staff.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I can see Jefferies and Matt Maggio make some noise at training camp this September. Maggio has a high drive. Let him stay healthy and see what he does.

Bring 'em on, for sure!

I can see them being kept along for the whole pre-season experience.

Gotta think the organization is quietly hoping for Maggio to scratch on 50 points next season while Jeffries reaches for 35/40.

As an aside, I think I'd like to see the entire staff in Bridgeport swept out and start with new everything down there (yes Chris L too, but I'm just howling at the moon on that one). I can't point to one positive thing Rick Kowalsky accomplished this year. None of his players appear to be NHL ready, and I think some like Dufour and Vincent Sevigny were actually more engaged in the games with Brent Thompson than the current staff.

Yep, I almost can't imagine that happening though.

I'm betting they've got a 3-year timeline with Kowalsky and will first reassess then.

I mean, I can't point to any specific developmental success here, even if Maggio looked like things were clicking a lot better in the second half. I am thinking thought that it certainly looks like next year's blueline is going to be very green behind the ears and Islander-prospect filled. If they have any doubts that Kowalsky can make something out of all these young men, then there's no time like the present offseason to tend to that concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad