Waived: Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Again, it's far less about having guys on our roster, and far more about simply giving assets away.

We're in a position that someone HAD to go through waivers, or be traded. If a team that is interested in said player knows the situation we're in, why would you give an asset away for someone you can likely get for free?

Did you stop to think maybe Shero tried to trade him for something, but couldn't?

I can tell you, if I wanted something that was soon going to go on sale, I'd wait it out.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kings had to waive Hickey who is a former high 1st rounder so the market obviously isn't there for depth defenseman.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
He's not a franchise guy, and nobody is saying that.

Point is, we keep giving away NHL ready, cap friendly d-men due to our supposed NHL depth, even though we complain like mad that our d is suspect to begin with.

Corey Potter, while no blue chip prospect, was playing very good D for the Oilers and actually running their PP.

It still pisses me off that Jason Garrison isn't wearing a Penguins uniform. It was between Florida and the Pens, but he chose Florida because he knew he'd get more playing time because you know, we have Paul Martin and his ilk in the lineup.

You can check my history, and I was repeatedly saying last year that "If Strait isn't in a Pens uniform next year, I'm going to be very pissed"

Needless to say, I'm pissed.

I know nobody is saying he's a franchise guy. I'm saying that's how people are acting.

I can understand being pissed about Strait, opinions differ, I don't see the big deal about him, never did really.

About Jason Garrison, he went home, he would have probably done the same thing if he was a Penguins also, so it's really a "whatever" type of thing. If you're referring to Garrison's professional start, he was signed in 2008 while Martin was still a Devil, if you're talking about 2010, Pittsburgh didn't have much top 4 depth and needed to improve. Garrison had 40 career NHL games while Martin and Michalek were established top 4 defensemen.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
I'm really pissed the flyers picked him up(if they actually did). He's going to end up being a really solid bottom pairing d man. I really can't believe they kept Lovejoy over him. It just doesn't make any sense. Strait played better than Lovejoy last season and is what 4 years younger than him ?

Who should have been waived is Lovejoy and or Adams. I love Adams but he can't play anymore at all. He's way to slow for the NHL now. We have plenty of pkers on this team.

Lovejoy- he's a 30 year old career 7-9 d man. Strait's low side was that.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
We're in a position that someone HAD to go through waivers, or be traded. If a team that is interested in said player knows the situation we're in, why would you give an asset away for someone you can likely get for free?

Did you stop to think maybe Shero tried to trade him for something, but couldn't?

I can tell you, if I wanted something that was soon going to go on sale, I'd wait it out.

I'm still allowed to be angry about it. Garrison sticks in my craw like you wouldn't believe, considering who we have on the roster right now. A **** for brains like Orpik, and a guy like Martin who are being labeled as our "shutdown" pairing.

We have all this supposed depth on D, but the NHL depth is questionable at best, but we're keeping guys like Lovejoy while solid guys like Strait (my opinion) are being let go.

Anyway, between my fury at the players during the lockout (I'm an owner guy) and the way the Broncos lost, it's going to take me a while to get back into the NHL swing of things, so I'm trying to look at this as mechanically as possible.

Needless to say, I already don't like it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm still allowed to be angry about it. Garrison sticks in my craw like you wouldn't believe, considering who we have on the roster right now. A **** for brains like Orpik, and a guy like Martin who are being labeled as our "shutdown" pairing.

We have all this supposed depth on D, but the NHL depth is questionable at best, but we're keeping guys like Lovejoy while solid guys like Strait (my opinion) are being let go.

Anyway, between my fury at the players during the lockout (I'm an owner guy) and the way the Broncos lost, it's going to take me a while to get back into the NHL swing of things, so I'm trying to look at this as mechanically as possible.

Needless to say, I already don't like it.

You got what you deserve. It was the playoffs. It was Peyton Manning. Duh.

What outcome did you expect?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You got what you deserve. It was the playoffs. It was Peyton Manning. Duh.

What outcome did you expect?

I expect a lead with 40 seconds left, no timeouts and 80 yards to go to be easily defended.

Officiating was God awful too. Among others, I don't remember the last time I saw an offensive holding call on a 1 yard dive play up the gut.

I've always thought the Manning stuff in the playoffs way overblown, even before he was a Bronco. He's actually lost 4 playoff games with his team leading with .40s left in the 4th.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have mixed emotions about this.

Like others have said, I don't want to lose him for nothing, but at the same time, he's done everything asked of him and he deserves his shot.

I really don't get keeping Lovejoy over him unless they feel Lovejoy can be traded.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I expect a lead with 40 seconds left, no timeouts and 80 yards to go to be easily defended.

Officiating was God awful too. Among others, I don't remember the last time I saw an offensive holding call on a 1 yard dive play up the gut.

I've always thought the Manning stuff in the playoffs way overblown, even before he was a Bronco. He's actually lost 4 playoff games with his team leading with .40s left in the 4th.

At least he redeemed himself in OT and showed all that playoff choking crap is a myth.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Pretty surprised they kept Despres up after his performance in the scrimmage. I guess they feel it's his time and one of the others had to be waived to clear room. I thought it would be Lovejoy but it was Strait. I don't think it will matter much since both guys are pretty far down the totem pole and aren't likely to play much.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
LOL... dude, he averaged 9 minutes per game.

Doesn't matter.

Martin set new standards for ineptitude in a playoff series. Lovejoy didn't fare any better.

Niskanen, Letang, Orpik, maybe Engelland were better. There were no games in the regular season where he was a liability, unlike Lovejoy or Martin.

No, we didn't lose a Norris candidate. But he's the perfect 6th guy to have. He doesn't mess up and can play decent minutes if needed.

Both Despres & Lovejoy deserved a demote before him. This organization places way too much emphasis on the "PMD" moniker.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pretty surprised they kept Despres up after his performance in the scrimmage. I guess they feel it's his time and one of the others had to be waived to clear room. I thought it would be Lovejoy but it was Strait. I don't think it will matter much since both guys are pretty far down the totem pole and aren't likely to play much.

I have hopes for Despres. That said, remember Goligoski when he first came up? He was a turnover machine. Which points to flaw number two of Shero's plan. Even if he turns out, having a defenseman with on the job training is not the way to build a cup winner. It took Goligoski and even Letang a couple of years to get their games together, and it was painful far too often until they did.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Considering that the % of players drafted in the 3rd round that actually become NHL regulars isn't all that high, I wouldn't call it a high pick.

It's a numbers game. There have been much, much better players the last couple of years (and each year) than Strait.

I think people are getting more emotionally attached with this than they should. Maybe the fact that Lovejoy is still on the team has something to do with that.
Like I said, I wouldn't be happy if Bortuzzo is lost for nothing, but Stait not so much.

Yes.

Seriously, if it was just a question of "no room" I'd be fine with this move.

Let me be clear. Lovejoy sucks. He was always expected to suck. And he will always suck.

Just irritating, is all.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Lovejoy got benched for Despres in the playoffs & he is still on this team. Doesn't make any sense. I get it he can skate. Other than that he sucks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It could depend on when the team who may have interest in him sits in the waiver priority. If a team with, say, 15th or 16th in the waiver priority want Strait because they think he can slot in on their bottom pairing, they might offer a late round pick/mid-level prospect to make sure they get him, rather than take a risk that someone with a higher priority claims him before they get a chance.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Lovejoy got benched for Despres in the playoffs & he is still on this team. Doesn't make any sense. I get it he can skate. Other than that he sucks.

And this here is the problem. Whatever the organization envisions in terms of defensemen is fundamentally flawed. Do they want 7 guys who play the exact same way? Because we saw that last spring...7 guys stinking at the same time.

A blueline needs all kinds. Including un-flashy, stay-at-home types that you barely notice...

...until you don't have any.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
And this here is the problem. Whatever the organization envisions in terms of defensemen is fundamentally flawed. Do they want 7 guys who play the exact same way? Because we saw that last spring...7 guys stinking at the same time.

A blueline needs all kinds. Including un-flashy, stay-at-home types that you barely notice...

...until you don't have any.

Deryk Engelland says, "hi."

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
question.

where do you see the D in 2-4 years from now?

lets say we only have letang and depres and you have 4 spots open. honestly did you draft all these 1st rnd dman for a bottom pairing role?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
question.

where do you see the D in 2-4 years from now?

lets say we only have letang and depres and you have 4 spots open. honestly did you draft all these 1st rnd dman for a bottom pairing role?

Bortuzzo will be there, and I'd imagine Dumoulin will make a serious run at a spot as early as next season.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
letang-depres
morrow-maata
bortuzzo-doublion (however you speel it)

what do we do with the 47 other first rnd dman we drafted in the first round? the 2nd pairing is basically pick any 2 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad