Waived: Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I still don't see the big deal.

I agree that keeping Strait over Lovejoy would have been the smarter decision, but at the same time, we have a ton of depth at the position, he probably wasn't in the future plans anyways.

Good for him on the contract, though. It's cool for any guy to make the NHL.

The thing is he's proven he's an NHL caliber defenseman now, and one with good defensive awareness which wouldn't hurt to have on our blueline for once, and now for cheap. We still need to develop our young guys and they're no sure thing yet either, and if we're going to use some of our blue-chip D prospect as trading chips I think we definitely would need him at some point. And now one or two more injuries on our blue-line and Reese will now be getting called up.

Had we have shown he can play in the NHL a bit more like the Islanders have, he definitely would have been worth something in a trade, or we would have been smart enough to keep. But now he's gone for nothing. This is a major fail throughout the entire organization.

And for everyone saying it's just Strait, he's no #1 defenseman. Ask yourself if we would have won The Cup without Scuds in our lineup? I definitely think you need players like them.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The thing is he's proven he's an NHL caliber defenseman now, and one with good defensive awareness which wouldn't hurt to have on our blueline for once, and now for cheap. We still need to develop our young guys and they're no sure thing yet either, and if we're going to use some of our blue-chip D prospect as trading chips I think we definitely would need him at some point. And now one or two more injuries on our blue-line and Reese will now be getting called up.

Had we have shown he can play in the NHL a bit more like the Islanders have, he definitely would have been worth something in a trade, or we would have been smart enough to keep. But now he's gone for nothing. This is a major fail throughout the entire organization.

And for everyone saying it's just Strait, he's no #1 defenseman. Ask yourself if we would have won The Cup without Scuds in our lineup? I definitely think you need players like them.

Agree, but I'm more upset like most others that it was so we could still keep Lovejoy.

This was most certainly bad asset management. Lovejoy is 28/29 and not going to get any better.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... roster decisions (on a good team) shouldn't be predicated by finances. But by what gives you the best chance to win.

That's early 2000's Fleury stuff, right there.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I mean I don't think that was the main reason, but if in their eyes, Strait=Lovejoy for this season, they would figure it was a wash and made sense to go cheaper there in case.

Not that I think Strait=Lovejoy obviously. But whatever -- it's not like Strait would ever play any significant role on the bottom pairing this year anyway under DB.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Haha. Bortuzzo is probably sitting there wishing for the waiver wire right now. Legit NHL mins and a pretty sizable contract

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
That was true in the past, but Snow has become a master of finding gems in the Waiver wire.

Moulson - Now a 3 time 30 goal scorer

Grabner - One time 30 goal scorer, looks amazing in his third year so far.

Nabakov - Didn't want to come here, eventually did, was rock solid for us, liked it and signed a 1 year deal.

Nielsen - His first contract was excellent value as he is a vital part of this team, his new contract is also very good.

MacDonald - A Strait like kind of guy who proved he was a smart and steady D-man, locked him up at a really cheap value.

This is without even mentioning the fair value contracts we've given our core players like Tavares, Okposo, Streit exc. exc.

Snow has long made up for the DP contract, his only other bad contract recently was Reasoner but it was a short contract anyways and nobody expected him to suck so bad. My only complaint with Snow is his weakness in the FA market and trades, but that is more because the reputation of our team makes it hard to do those things.

Dont forget PA(free agent), Aucoin, and Hickey

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Yeah, I mean I don't think that was the main reason, but if in their eyes, Strait=Lovejoy for this season, they would figure it was a wash and made sense to go cheaper there in case.

Not that I think Strait=Lovejoy obviously. But whatever -- it's not like Strait would ever play any significant role on the bottom pairing this year anyway under DB.

Isn't that the problem?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->