Waived: Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Do you guys think it was the beard?

143262051_display_image.jpg

Illinest

Jan 7, 2008
Harrisburg
Lots of worry her about which replacement level defenseman we need to keep. I reacted to this news with happiness. It means theyre happy with bortuzzo and despres. I would rather see what the future holds for these two potential top 4 types than get bent up about who our 7th defenseman is.
I dont want to see strait go but i dont see him as having a high upside either. Let it go. It's almost certain to be of no consequence.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My favorite thing about this is that the same people that will defend our management for picking defensemen early in every draft are now questioning their evaluation of their own defensemen (Strait being waived over Lovejoy). In Shero we trust.

You guys are the best.

I don't know if you mean me, in particular, but I've never advocated taking the BPA if it means all defensemen, all the time. In fact, I'd probably draft a winger in Round 1 every year with Crosby and Malkin on the roster...until we land a 60-goal man or 100-point man on either flank.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So much fuss over Brian Strait. :laugh:

You guys act like we waived a franchise defenseman, he was a decent depth player, but there's a reason why Lovejoy has won the job in Pittsburgh over Brian Strait for the past 2 or 3 seasons (an no it isn't because "Dan Bylsma is the head coach").

Lovejoy has proven more at the NHL level than Brian Strait has, that's a fact, nobody here, including me has seen Strait in an extended NHL role, so how can anyone say he's better than Lovejoy. Ben played mediocre hockey in the playoffs, but has been a decent #7 for us for 2 years.

I also have to mention our depth at the position which is why we shouldn't complain. Look at our D prospects and tell me losing Strait is a big deal. I'm not saying Lovejoy is great or even good, he's more proven and he's not that bad to where he needs waived. He adds speed, size and NHL experience.

I'm glad we kept Bortuzzo over Strait, he hasn't even been claimed yet so who knows if he will, and if he does, so what? Like I said, I don't think Strait will be a franchise defenseman yet people are acting like Shero is such a dumbass for waiving him.

The Kings just lost a former 4th overall pick on waivers and they're not *****ing, so why should Pens fans over Brian Strait?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Perhaps the Reverend is known far and wide in the NY bar scene... living his... double life.

i know Lovejoy is well known in the New England area - my buddy went to prep school with his wife, but i think it takes more than a fair bit of effort to be known far and wife in the NY bar scene.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Strait now breaks Crosby's skull Saturday, then points to DB and RS with the look of Orpik in his eyes.

We just gave the Flyers a generational talent.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
I hope he gets claimed. specifically by someone in the West so i dont' have to hate him if he sticks in the NHL. must suck to forever be stuck in the AHL/constantly getting called up for 1-2 games and then straight back down.

But then again, i wouldn't be too bummed if he goes unclaimed, plays a little longer in the A, we trade/waive Lovejoy and he gets called back up and gets a shot with the Pens.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
So much fuss over Brian Strait. :laugh:

You guys act like we waived a franchise defenseman, he was a decent depth player, but there's a reason why Lovejoy has won the job in Pittsburgh over Brian Strait for the past 2 or 3 seasons (an no it isn't because "Dan Bylsma is the head coach").

Lovejoy has proven more at the NHL level than Brian Strait has, that's a fact, nobody here, including me has seen Strait in an extended NHL role, so how can anyone say he's better than Lovejoy. Ben played mediocre hockey in the playoffs, but has been a decent #7 for us for 2 years.

I also have to mention our depth at the position which is why we shouldn't complain. Look at our D prospects and tell me losing Strait is a big deal. I'm not saying Lovejoy is great or even good, he's more proven and he's not that bad to where he needs waived. He adds speed, size and NHL experience.

I'm glad we kept Bortuzzo over Strait, he hasn't even been claimed yet so who knows if he will, and if he does, so what? Like I said, I don't think Strait will be a franchise defenseman yet people are acting like Shero is such a dumbass for waiving him.

The Kings just lost a former 4th overall pick on waivers and they're not *****ing, so why should Pens fans over Brian Strait?

He's not a franchise guy, and nobody is saying that.

Point is, we keep giving away NHL ready, cap friendly d-men due to our supposed NHL depth, even though we complain like mad that our d is suspect to begin with.

Corey Potter, while no blue chip prospect, was playing very good D for the Oilers and actually running their PP.

It still pisses me off that Jason Garrison isn't wearing a Penguins uniform. It was between Florida and the Pens, but he chose Florida because he knew he'd get more playing time because you know, we have Paul Martin and his ilk in the lineup.

You can check my history, and I was repeatedly saying last year that "If Strait isn't in a Pens uniform next year, I'm going to be very pissed"

Needless to say, I'm pissed.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I guess I'm alone in rather having Lovejoy over Strait. Bort and Lovejoy at 6 and 7 is fine by me.

I'm just worried about #2. You can take that however you want....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So the Penguins gave away Corey Potter now too? Ridiculous. You are embarrassing yourself.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Had a feeling the Flyers might claim Strait given the injuries they have right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad