Waived: Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
If i'm not mistaking if a team picks him up they have to keep him in the NHL right? They're not allowed sending him right back down to the AHL correct? If so maybe teams pass

They can send him down, but they'd have to waive him again :) The player has to clear waivers to hit the AHL.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I like Strait much better that Bortuzzo, but then again I'm not in the GM.

Also Surprised they are going with Despres. He just hasn't stuck out much to me, be it in WBS or the scrimmage last night. However we have our lineup now;

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Engelland
Bortuzzo/Lovejoy

I like the idea of Orpik and Martin, I think that could be a solid pair.

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
If a team claims Strait he has to stay NHL I believe that is still the rule.

Also Lovejoy probably shouldn't have been playing in the playoffs. He was rushed back from injury.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Brian Strait is an NHL'er. Where he stands on an NHL depth chart past a #4 Defenseman is yet to be determined, but he's one of those guys that can play.

And oh, he'd be cheap.

But no, let's continue to carry cap busting contracts because we're too proud to admit a mistake has been made.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lovejoy proved he could be an effective 7th defenseman. Strait proved nothing. I don't get why you guys say it is a risky move. Strait isn't even that good. Too bad if we lose him, but you don't need him.
We need to trade for a top 4 d, not worry about some middle of the road prospect.

I don't see how you can say that. Strait played quite well for us last year... certainly a hell of a lot better than Lovejoy did. And is younger with more upside. Lovejoy will never ever be more than a 7th/8th D for us. Strait can be a 7th guy, but still has potential to be much more.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If i'm not mistaking if a team picks him up they have to keep him in the NHL right? They're not allowed sending him right back down to the AHL correct? If so maybe teams pass

Yes. Putting a waiver claim on someone brings them to your NHL team, and if you waive him later on... The team he was picked up from has first chance to claim him back in the waiver list.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Too much belief that Strait is a NHL talent. Looks more like a marginal AHL player and the Pens have been putting far too many of them in the NHL lineup over the last 3 seasons.

He was part of the WBS top shutdown line for the last couple of years. At the very least he's an effective AHL player, not a marginal one.

Honestly, part of me hopes he's claimed, and that he gets an honest shot with an NHL team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I'm not pleased, as someone who likes Strait and from a asset management perspective. This is the issue we were concerned about with drafting so many dmen. Yes some will pan out, others won't. However, we are in a situation where the org spent years of time and money developing an NHL dman and then could lose him for nothing. Maybe he won't be claimed since others teams are all waiving guys quickly to meet quick deadlines, but it's frustrating none the less.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This will have to be the way going forward for the Pens.

With the high end prospects pushing the mid to low level guys to waivers because the team is out of options or slots. This is as it should be as long as long as the high end guys pan out it wont be an issue.

Actually not a bad 'problem' to have.

If I was D starved team I would def take a chance.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/search.php?searchid=18847757

300 posts on him. In the first page comments from Toronto, Ottawa and Ranger fans saying take a shot at him.
I hope he gets claimed. I think he can be a very steady bottom pairing guy on a team that needs defensive dept. Who knows he might be even better in a different defensive system. Heard he had some illness early this season, that's why he started off slow this season. He has been great in WBS the past two seasons.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They obviously know more than I do, but man does this club sometimes make me do a double take at some of the decisions they make.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So remind me again about this plan to stack up on defensemen because 'they are like gold in the NHL and we can always trade them for forwards'. I am sure that was the plan right? How much gold we getting for this guy? Or even loose change that fell into the couch?

This was always the flaw with this plan. And will show with all the higher defensive prospects as well. Defensemen who have established themselves have value. Prospects or guys with limited track records? You aren't getting value for.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yep.

I might actually have a meltdown.

This is stupid....Strait was our 4th best dman in the playoffs last year.

He'll get picked up. Simply stupid on our part.

LOL... dude, he averaged 9 minutes per game.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Yep.

I might actually have a meltdown.

This is stupid....Strait was our 4th best dman in the playoffs last year.

He'll get picked up. Simply stupid on our part.

I think people need to relax a bit. Strait is a solid, serviceable dman but let's not pretend we just lost a young future Norris candidate here. Is he better than Lovejoy? Yeah probably. Is he that much better that it's some devastatingly horrible decision? Definitely not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad