Rumor: Brian Campbell wants out..?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
sign markov 3 years for 6m each if we get rid of campbell

retain 50% on campbell and get a ridiculous overprice, if viola is serious about spending, soupy at 3.5m for 2 years (3.5m each for us - we won't need to spend to the cap until the deadline after IMO) should fetch us some real elite talent
Even at 50% retained, no one is going to overpay for a player that wants out.

As for the people saying how poorly he's played the last two years, try playing close to 30 minutes a night with a partner that wouldn't see top4 minutes on a normal team.

He's been crap the last two years. He's only our best player because our team isn't good. We have plenty of time to salvage losing him. If this team is serious about spending money we'll be fine. If they're going to be cheap, we're screwed regardless of having Campbell.
Don't kid yourself, there's not a single UFA d-man that could just replace Campbell.

What the team needs is to solidify the top pairing by providing Campbell with a real top4 partner, not throw him away and create an entirely new problem.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I don't like to hear the news, but I'm not entirely surprised. Last season, his lack of presence on the ice in comparison to seasons past was a bit obvious. I'm sure he hasn't been happy about how the team fared over the last two seasons, but every player knew this rebuild wasn't going to happen overnight. Again, this is just a rumor. Although, I hate to say "Dammit. What Versteeg said was true."

He'll be missed on the blueline for sure, but I wouldn't panic. I'm not expecting a 1st line player in return, but Tallon could make some kind of package including him that might bring us back some assets offensively and defensively depending on the trade partner. There's just too many scenarios that may or may not come out of this. We just have to sit back and see what the future holds.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Even at 50% retained, no one is going to overpay for a player that wants out.

As for the people saying how poorly he's played the last two years, try playing close to 30 minutes a night with a partner that wouldn't see top4 minutes on a normal team.

Don't kid yourself, there's not a single UFA d-man that could just replace Campbell.

What the team needs is to solidify the top pairing by providing Campbell with a real top4 partner, not throw him away and create an entirely new problem.

Please. Campbell is hardly the #1 guy or first pairing many seem to think he is. He's a really good PMD. He's not a #1 guy. Sure he can log a lot of minutes but we can still be good without him. There's not a single guy available who can log 25minutes, correct, but that's irrelevant. We can still build a good defense without Brian Campbell. Not concerned at all if we're opening up the wallet. Plenty of guys available.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I don't think it is anything to do with the new owners. I think it's probably because he's 35 and the cats are just now finally on there way up. BC has patiently waited for that to happen and it simply did not. So my guess is that Campbell wants to go to a contender for one more crack at the cup before he calls it quits.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
He's been crap the last two years. He's only our best player because our team isn't good. We have plenty of time to salvage losing him. If this team is serious about spending money we'll be fine. If they're going to be cheap, we're screwed regardless of having Campbell.

No.

He's been good on a crap team.

When youplay half the game and have no one to make an outlet pass to and have to skate it out all the time it may make you look like crap.

To say he's been crap is truly unfair.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Please. Campbell is hardly the #1 guy or first pairing many seem to think he is. He's a really good PMD. He's not a #1 guy. Sure he can log a lot of minutes but we can still be good without him.
HF again with the, oh what have you done for me lately.

Do you people even remember anymore how good he was when he played with an actual top4 partner, aka. Garrison? After that it's been Kuba (good riddance) and Gilbert (too soft, a terrible fit with Campbell and would get sheltered minutes on a normal team), along with occasional shifts with Kuli and Guds.

Loads of teams have good PMD's that aren't monsters in their own end, playing top minutes. With the right partner, Campbell is definitely a top pairing guy.

There's not a single guy available who can log 25minutes, correct, but that's irrelevant. We can still build a good defense without Brian Campbell. Not concerned at all if we're opening up the wallet. Plenty of guys available.
A team either lives (playoffs, cup), or dies (bubble team, rock bottom) along with its top pairing.

How the hell do you think this team is supposed to improve if we don't even have one freakin' d-man that can handle 25 minutes.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The Panthers have been lucky to have Brian Campbell. They will be until he's gone. I'm not going to jump on the "good riddance" train this time. I hope this isn't true.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No.

He's been good on a crap team.

When youplay half the game and have no one to make an outlet pass to and have to skate it out all the time it may make you look like crap.

To say he's been crap is truly unfair.

Completely disagree. He actually tried when he was with Garrison. He gave up the last two seasons and now it's no surprise because he didn't want to be here. I know it's impossible but if you were to look through the GDTs you'd see me and others voicing our displeasure with him and his effort level. He might be a good player but he certainly wasn't playing like one.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
HF again with the, oh what have you done for me lately.

Do you people even remember anymore how good he was when he played with an actual top4 partner, aka. Garrison? After that it's been Kuba (good riddance) and Gilbert (too soft, a terrible fit with Campbell and would get sheltered minutes on a normal team), along with occasional shifts with Kuli and Guds.

Loads of teams have good PMD's that aren't monsters in their own end, playing top minutes. With the right partner, Campbell is definitely a top pairing guy.

A team either lives (playoffs, cup), or dies (bubble team, rock bottom) along with its top pairing.

How the hell do you think this team is supposed to improve if we don't even have one freakin' d-man that can handle 25 minutes.

The season doesn't start the second after we trade him. Not sure why there's a lot of panic. Plenty of opportunity to improve our entire defense.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The Panthers have been lucky to have Brian Campbell. They will be until he's gone. I'm not going to jump on the "good riddance" train this time. I hope this isn't true.

I don't want him gone, either, but he didn't look to give 100% out there this past year.

Hopefully, we get him a real top pairing partner, somehow, and convince him that this year will be different.

New coach, better players... here's to dreaming and drinking.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh

Yea I'm with you. Huge blow to our D. I hope it's a false rumor and Campbell comes out and squashes it. So far it's only Strickland, who doesn't follow our team, to say anything.

Our guy George hasn't heard anything yet.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The season doesn't start the second after we trade him. Not sure why there's a lot of panic. Plenty of opportunity to improve our entire defense.
The likelyhood of signing multiple top4 d-men is slim to none. Even one is a reach that we should be happy with.

Losing Campbell would virtually mean that the top pairing is Kuli and whoever hopefully signs. That would more than likely also mean that Jovo would get regular minutes on the bottom pairing.

It's hard to stay positive if Campbell is leaving, that d-core (UFAs or not) would be McDavid worthy if that happens. Sigh..

Erased

Jun 18, 2014

Exactly this right here. The best partner he's had since he got here was Garrison who has not been able to recreate the magic without Soupy teeing him up. Weaver? As great a penalty killer and shot blocker as he is does not belong on the top pairing and I think he'd tell you the same thing. Gilbert while as surprisingly solid as he was you could also argue was made so by playing with Campbell.

If we want the defense to get better (and it must if the team is going to succeed) it starts with finding someone who actually belongs on the top pairing with Campbell not trying to replace the only guy on this team who actually belongs on a top pairing.

here is an interesting breakdown of his fancy stats

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Well, if he wants out, he will go. Tallon has made it very clear that if you dont want to play here, you will be traded. I hope he stays true to his word when it's his protoge too.

I have no issue with campbell for doing this. I think any player of his calibre and age playing on a team that for the past two seasons has finished 30th and 29th would have done the same.

with the cap going up, I hope we are able to trade him for a good return without retaining salary.

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
If true, I'm more concerned in how this will affect us when it comes to attracting free agents to sign with us.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The likelyhood of signing multiple top4 d-men is slim to none. Even one is a reach that we should be happy with.

Losing Campbell would virtually mean that the top pairing is Kuli and whoever hopefully signs. That would more than likely also mean that Jovo would get regular minutes on the bottom pairing.

It's hard to stay positive if Campbell is leaving, that d-core (UFAs or not) would be McDavid worthy if that happens. Sigh..

Why would Jovo get regular minutes on the bottom pairing if Campbell leaves? We can still sign guys for the bottom pairing.

We're going to have to spend money to get to the cap floor if we move him. We can overpay for guys like Markov and Stralman. We have a ton coming off the books next year and a lot of that is up front where young guys will be able to step in for cheaper so it's okay if we overpay on the back end. Of course, if we're not actually opening up the wallet, we're screwed with or without Campbell.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If true, I'm more concerned in how this will affect us when it comes to attracting free agents to sign with us.

It's not that big of a deal, imo. Luongo just waived to come here. There are a ton of reasons to live and work in Florida that you know of. Plus teams like Van have Kesler wanting out, Ottawa has Spezza, and nobody seems to want to sign on the Island and out in Edmonton. We're not ideal but we might have a ton of money to spend and money talks.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
.@Hope_Smoke: Marek on FAN 590 "I've heard that Campbell hasn't been happy in Fla for 2 years, but to say that he wants out is a bit of an exaggeration"

Crisis averted?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
.@Hope_Smoke: Marek on FAN 590 "I've heard that Campbell hasn't been happy in Fla for 2 years, but to say that he wants out is a bit of an exaggeration"

Crisis averted?

whaaaaaa I make 7.5 million playing in a no pressure market, my money is state tax free, and I knew exactly what I was getting into when I waived to come here, whaaaaaaa

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014

Crisis averted?

Another tweet from the same guy right after that said that Campbell just wants to win. So that squashes the whole "Campbell knows the Violas don't want to spend so he wants out" thing. He probably wants to go to a Cup contender, and both he and everyone here knows we won't be competing for a cup within the years remaining on his contract.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
whaaaaaa I make 7.5 million playing in a no pressure market, my money is state tax free, and I knew exactly what I was getting into when I waived to come here, whaaaaaaa

So he should say,"I'm getting paid so who cares where the team finishes." ??????

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I've got a question, should any panther player be happy right now? What I am saying is that no panther player should be satisfied with their current situation. It shouldn't come as a surprise that Campell is upset, however should we automatically assume that being upset means wanting out? Perhaps he is upset and wants improvement rather than leaving. Idk, thinking out loud.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Why would Jovo get regular minutes on the bottom pairing if Campbell leaves? We can still sign guys for the bottom pairing.
My point was that the one likely top4 signing would be paired with Campbell. If Campbell isn't here, that signing would be paired with Kuli who would be bumped up from the 2nd pairing, leading to someone (probably Guds) bumped up to replace Kuli, which then leaves an open spot on the bottom pairing. Jovo is still the captain of the team and I don't see Tallon signing a d-man just for the purpose of replacing Jovo.

We're going to have to spend money to get to the cap floor if we move him. We can overpay for guys like Markov and Stralman. We have a ton coming off the books next year and a lot of that is up front where young guys will be able to step in for cheaper so it's okay if we overpay on the back end. Of course, if we're not actually opening up the wallet, we're screwed with or without Campbell.
Just like in 2011. Having the money doesn't necessarily lead to signing good players.

Crisis averted?
I think this is more closer to the truth, seriously who would be happy with the way the last two seasons have gone.

If DT fails to sign a competent d-man to pair with Campbell, then this will become a problem, no doubt about it.

I've got a question, should any panther player be happy right now? What I am saying is that no panther player should be satisfied with their current situation. It shouldn't come as a surprise that Campell is upset, however should we automatically assume that being upset means wanting out? Perhaps he is upset and wants improvement rather than leaving. Idk, thinking out loud.
Well said.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013

Exactly. If guys are happy as a lottery team, trade them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad