Rumor: Brian Campbell wants out..?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If management was serious about spending $ and bringing in vets, I really don't understand why he would want out.

If this is true, the bigger picture doesn't exactly look promising.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
In a way it kinda makes sense that Tallon would say Kuli is in the long term plans since his last interview. Though this is a major blow to the D corps. We need Markov to go to FA and follow up on what he said on coming to FLA.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Campbell did look like he quit on the team last season. So this kinda rumour comes as no surprise to me

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
That's fine. We'll get a top line forward for him. O'Reilly? I haven't been a fan of Campbell the last two years. Despite playing 25 minutes a game, he's lazy and doesn't try enough.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Buff is available from Winnipeg. He's a Tallon guy. He'd be an upgrade on the PP over Campbell. We have the assets to get him.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Putting my tinfoil hat on here but... could this have anything to do with the rumours that the owners want a cheaper option as a coach? If they decide to go with Gallant instead of Bylsma that is.

After all the promises from the new ownership I could see Campbell saying **** this and wanting to move on.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Putting my tinfoil hat on here but... could this have anything to do with the rumours that the owners want a cheaper option as a coach? If they decide to go with Gallant instead of Bylsma that is.

After all the promises from the new ownership I could see Campbell saying **** this and wanting to move on.

Tinfoil hat is right. Watching him play the last two years it doesn't look like he gives a crap. Also, I guess the rumor about Versteeg saying Campbell wanted to go with him might be true.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Nothing we have or could get for him would be able to replace what he's does for this team. If we lose Campbell it will put us right up with Buffalo in the race to the bottom.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Nothing we have or could get for him would be able to replace what he's does for this team. If we lose Campbell it will put us right up with Buffalo in the race to the bottom.

There are plenty of options this summer to improve the overall team. Way too early to tell what kind of impact it would have. We're not losing Shea Weber.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
That's fine. We'll get a top line forward for him. O'Reilly? I haven't been a fan of Campbell the last two years. Despite playing 25 minutes a game, he's lazy and doesn't try enough.

How do you figure? We gave up Olesz for him. Now we're going to get a 1st line forward?

We'll be lucky to get a 1st or 2nd round pick and either have to retain salary or take back salary.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
How do you figure? We gave up Olesz for him. Now we're going to get a 1st line forward?

Because he had 5 years on a huge contract and some were questioning his ability to play/being sheltered behind Keith and Seabrook. He can play when he wants to. His contract is very manageable with two years left and he's the best PMD available this offseason.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Buff is available from Winnipeg. He's a Tallon guy. He'd be an upgrade on the PP over Campbell. We have the assets to get him.
Would be a lateral move. Though with some retained I think it would be good move.

That's what I'm worried about. The more things change...

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
although a top line forward might be very hard to get.. Soupys contract isn't as bad as it used to be. 2 years at 7... guys still got plenty of skill.. a team could trade a solid player with some cash being held back on our side

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Because he had 5 years on a huge contract and some were questioning his ability to play/being sheltered behind Keith and Seabrook. He can play when he wants to. His contract is very manageable with two years left and he's the best PMD available this offseason.

I understand and that makes sense, but I'll tell you right now, nobody is going to give up a first line forward for him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Would be a lateral move. Though with some retained I think it would be good move.

That's what I'm worried about. The more things change...

Disagree. Byuf had 20 goals and 56 points last season. He'd improve our PP. Also, I'm not suggesting Campbell for Byuf swap. Trade Campbell for a forward and get Byuf by using some of our prospects.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
If this is true, then why now, when so much is happening? My guess is that he knows who's Tallons number one choice as coach is and he dont agree. Maybe its a budget coach (aka not bylsma and he feels its just empty word from Viola) or maybe its Bylsma (and he dont like him).

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
There are plenty of options this summer to improve the overall team. Way too early to tell what kind of impact it would have. We're not losing Shea Weber.

That's assuming we can actually find a team willing to trade a top pairing defenseman which last time I looked doesn't happen very often without giving way too much in return or that 2 free agents are willing to sign now that one of our big selling points is gone. If we lose Campbell we now have to find not one but two top pairing players unless Gudbranson or kulikov are able to step up and play 25 minutes a night which I find unlikely.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
That's assuming we can actually find a team willing to trade a top pairing defenseman which last time I looked doesn't happen very often without giving way too much in return or that 2 free agents are willing to sign now that one of our big selling points is gone. If we lose Campbell we now have to find not one but two top pairing players unless Gudbranson or kulikov are able to step up and play 25 minutes a night which I find unlikely.

We have free agency. We also don't know if this is true but I'm guessing it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad