Rumor: Brian Campbell wants out..?

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
We have free agency. We also don't know if this is true but I'm guessing it is.

Its going to be a lot more difficult to sell a top pairing player on our team if we have to tell them that we don't know who their partner is going to be. Especially if they are coming in to replace someone who demanded a trade.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Its going to be a lot more difficult to sell a top pairing player on our team if we have to tell them that we don't know who their partner is going to be. Especially if they are coming in to replace someone who demanded a trade.

Money talks. Losing Campbell's money means someone else is going to be overpaid more than they expected.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
sign markov 3 years for 6m each if we get rid of campbell

retain 50% on campbell and get a ridiculous overprice, if viola is serious about spending, soupy at 3.5m for 2 years (3.5m each for us - we won't need to spend to the cap until the deadline after IMO) should fetch us some real elite talent

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Team stream also reported it but from Andy Strickland as well. This is a huge blow if it's true. We better get some good aspects for him.

Panthers607

Something around Loui Eriksson would be nice?

And sign Markov...?

I have no idea...

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Don't think I believe it, Louie just got back and Tallon seems pretty upbeat with the finances. He looks and sounds different from last season when the sale happened.

Tweeted GR asking for a confirmation. Doubt we'll get one.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Richards did tweet about it:

George Richards @GeorgeRichards · 42m
I know he hasn't been happy w/ past 2 years; don't know if he wants 'out' tho - @Moubayed11: any slimmer of truth to Campbell wanting out?”

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If we can get a Rick Nash back for him I wouldn't mind trading him. Other than getting a good winger back, he's the best player on the team I wouldn't want to move unless it's something significant.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
If we can get a Rick Nash back for him I wouldn't mind trading him. Other than getting a good winger back, he's the best player on the team I wouldn't want to move unless it's something significant.
Wouldn't touch Nash at all. Concussion issues have been too much.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Me too. It's not nearly as dire as people believe here.

Its not the end of the world, but Soup has acted as a workhorse for us, he plays a lot of minutes and is still fairly reliable. If Tallon can work some magic and get a top 6 forward for him, and he makes good D-man FA signings, then I won't be worried at all. In fact, I'd be happier with that reality than our current reality with Campbell. But that is only if Tallon can make all that happen, which feels like a long shot.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Though it's never fun to realize somebody doesn't want to take part in being a member of your team, a lot of Campbell's production felt empty the past two seasons, and for the most part, it was.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
The issue is NOT how valuable Soupy is here, but the underlying reasons he'd want out NOW. New Owner, Luongo etc. What does it say? (if true)

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Worst case, soup wants out. He's 35 now so his time is aging. I know he's an asset to us, but he could be at his best price right now. That's of course if he really wants out.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Me too. It's not nearly as dire as people believe here.

I truly believe it is that dire. Its inarguable that he has been our best player since he got here and has done it all along with sub par playing partners. There is no other defenseman on this team i would be comfortable having log 25 minutes a night. It was going to be difficult enough to find a quality dman to take an overpayment to play as his partner but now we have to find a not only a #2 but a replacement for Campbell as well. There are only a couple of free agents who can really be able handle those top pairing minutes and we are not the only team that are willing to overpay nor are many teams are looking to trade their top defensemen.

PatchworkCat

Nov 11, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Putting my tinfoil hat on here but... could this have anything to do with the rumours that the owners want a cheaper option as a coach? If they decide to go with Gallant instead of Bylsma that is.

After all the promises from the new ownership I could see Campbell saying **** this and wanting to move on.

This was my immediate thought as well. Even if Gallant gets hired and turns out to be the better coach long-term, I don't think I could ever see the initial choice to hire him over Bylsma as anything other than us going with the cheaper alternative. I know that is completely unfair, but I can't help thinking that way. As I just posted in the rumors thread, if this is true to me it points to the possibility of yet another internal cap situation. Outside of desire for another shot at the cup I cannot think for any other reason for Soup to feel this way.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I truly believe it is that dire. Its inarguable that he has been our best player since he got here and has done it all along with sub par playing partners. There is no other defenseman on this team i would be comfortable having log 25 minutes a night. It was going to be difficult enough to find a quality dman to take an overpayment to play as his partner but now we have to find a not only a #2 but a replacement for Campbell as well. There are only a couple of free agents who can really be able handle those top pairing minutes and we are not the only team that are willing to overpay nor are many teams are looking to trade their top defensemen.

He's been crap the last two years. He's only our best player because our team isn't good. We have plenty of time to salvage losing him. If this team is serious about spending money we'll be fine. If they're going to be cheap, we're screwed regardless of having Campbell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad