Sportsnet: Brian Burke- “It’s time for William Nylander to move”

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Nylander had a fantastic year this year. Not sure we'd be even sniffing the playoffs if it was not for him.

Not a lot of players mentioned here that I'd be inclined to trade him for.

I'd consider a deal around Ryan Pulock though. He fits a need. It was his dying brother's wish that he'd play for the Leafs. Let's make that happen.
It’s funny you’d use the word sniffing while defending nylander :laugh:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
from Dobber:

"William NylanderHis four points in five games are a little misleading, because he disappeared for long stretches. And when the coach felt he was forced to stack his top line, Nylander was unable to anchor a second line on his own. Two of his three ES points were with the goalie pulled, while his other point was with John Tavares. When he lined up without Tavares or Auston Matthews, he wasn't productive. It's a good thing the Leafs have two elite centers, as it makes it extremely likely that Nylander will always have that top linemate that he needs in order to produce well."

Reactions: Richard88

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That would get you a very very big return in my opinion. A 7o point player, a 40 point speedster and a prospect with top 4 potential. We'd be looking at a surefire 1 d.

From Anaheim something around Lindholm. Especially since they were offering Rakell + Manson for Nylander alone.
I don’t think anyone in Anaheim makes that deal. Rakell has a great contract and has similar numbers to Nylander, Manson is their #1 RHD and they don’t have an internal replacement. I think Rakell and Manson is too steep a price. I saw Manson + Comtois and think that’s probably a more realistic return. The issue with the Nylander/Kapanan/Lilj package is that there are not many teams that have extra top pairing D and need 2 wingers and a d-prospect. It’s $11mil in cap hit as well so the team needs to have the cap space. I can’t think of any teams that meet that description. Brodin with an extension for Nylander seems as fair as any deal but it would hinge on Minnesota feeling that Nylander could play top 6 center.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I have no idea but someone would be getting an incredible player. 94 points at age 20.

Problem is, you need to surround him with big boys, much like Johnny Hockey out in Calgary.

I want to see the Leafs move him, but it’s 100% given that they will lose the deal long term. Unfortunately he priced himself out of the team.

Bozak, Tavares, and Matthews all had career years playing with Mitch. He's elevated all of their games when on the ice, as with anyone who he plays with.

Dont confuse playing and elevating good players, with needing good players.

Marner drives play as much if not more than any player on the team.

I dont watch enough Calgary games, but your assessment of marner is off.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
from Dobber:

"William NylanderHis four points in five games are a little misleading, because he disappeared for long stretches. And when the coach felt he was forced to stack his top line, Nylander was unable to anchor a second line on his own. Two of his three ES points were with the goalie pulled, while his other point was with John Tavares. When he lined up without Tavares or Auston Matthews, he wasn't productive. It's a good thing the Leafs have two elite centers, as it makes it extremely likely that Nylander will always have that top linemate that he needs in order to produce well."
Calling Tavares elite and using his name like that in this is hilarious. Tavares at ES without Nylander on the ice: 0GF, 3GA(which is also what Nylander went without Tavares while with lesser teammates! Hey, hey, whaddya say?)

Reactions: Nifty Sauce

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would do Sanheim or Myers plus Philly's first in 2021
The Flyers don't touch this deal, honestly. One thing is for sure--the Flyers under Vigneault play a buttoned-up, system game and don't freelance and razzle-dazzle. They are structured, crisp and precise. Their chemistry is amazing--the best it's been in decades. Also, Sanheim and Myers are keys to the future and would not be traded for a skilled, but freelancing, winger with a 6.9 mil hit. The Flyers are also looking to make room for Farabee full-time and have Frost waiting in the wings. Unless there's a Nylander for Ghost trade to be had, the Flyers don't touch this.

Now, I do see a good fit between the Leafs and Avs possibly--IF Dubas is willing to tangle with Sakic again. Nylander would be a perfect RW on the 2nd line in Denver. Would something like Nylander for Johnson and a decent pick make sense? Johnson would give the Leafs a must-needed, big, steady RHD to sure up the back-end. Johnson has 3 more years of term and would save the Leafs close to a million of cap hit per season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That Toronto 1'st is now Carolina's...........:dunno:

Thor merged 2 posts I've made over a yr+

The original trade was
Buch, Deangelo + Geo
for
Nylander

period
no 1st

------
then campbell was acquired
Leafs cool to Geo
fine, we sell him elsewhere.

ADA + Buch close not enuf
so the deal is then

ADA + Buch + CAR 2020 1st
for
Nylander + TOR 2021 1ST

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The Flyers don't touch this deal, honestly. One thing is for sure--the Flyers under Vigneault play a buttoned-up, system game and don't freelance and razzle-dazzle. They are structured, crisp and precise. Their chemistry is amazing--the best it's been in decades. Also, Sanheim and Myers are keys to the future and would not be traded for a skilled, but freelancing, winger with a 6.9 mil hit. The Flyers are also looking to make room for Farabee full-time and have Frost waiting in the wings. Unless there's a Nylander for Ghost trade to be had, the Flyers don't touch this.

Now, I do see a good fit between the Leafs and Avs possibly--IF Dubas is willing to tangle with Sakic again. Nylander would be a perfect RW on the 2nd line in Denver. Would something like Nylander for Johnson and a decent pick make sense? Johnson would give the Leafs a must-needed, big, steady RHD to sure up the back-end. Johnson has 3 more years of term and would save the Leafs close to a million of cap hit per season.
Not young enough

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not young enough

I don't think age matters as much as you might think. The Leafs are going to want to win a Cup before Tavares is 33-34 years old. If they're not contending for a Cup in 3 years, they're in bad shape. I mean, sure, the Leafs would love a younger player, but what top-4, RHD with a good size and a well-rounded game are you getting for Nylander and his 6.9 mil cap hit? Nylander isn't fetching an Ekblad, McAvoy, etc.

Maybe a Ristolainen, DeAngelo or Dumba. Possibly. Like any of them?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

This should have been the deal instead of Barrie. AVs could also sweeten the deal further with 50% retention increasing the Cap Space to $4M per by swapping picks next year.

Nylander
2021 - 1st (Leafs)

for

EJ (50% Retention)
2021 - 3rd (AVs)

Reactions: McJedi

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Toronto has all kinds of good wingers and it gets them nowhere lol. Toronto can keep their overpaid forwards while other teams build their teams the right way.
:laugh:
sorry, don't get mad, please. but your team just signed a 28 year old winger for 81.5 million over 7 years.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This should have been the deal instead of Barrie. AVs could also sweeten the deal further with 50% retention increasing the Cap Space to $4M per by swapping picks next year.

Nylander
2021 - 1st (Leafs)

for

EJ (50% Retention)
2021 - 3rd (AVs)
EJ is a 30+ year old 6M bottom pairing Dman. Surely this proposal is a joke.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Get your facts right. EJ is 2nd pair and the Avs top Pk player while averaging over 20 minutes a game on a team that was an overtime loss away from a first overall seed out west. So he’s a key defender (pairs with Girard) on a far better team than Toronto. EJ at $3MM AAV for the next three years would be a steal. But he’s got a limited NTC and may not want to play in Toronto. He’d be used as Riellys partner if he did waive and play top pair for TML.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
tenor.gif

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Get your facts right. EJ is 2nd pair and the Avs top Pk player while averaging over 20 minutes a game on a team that was an overtime loss away from a first overall seed out west. So he’s a key defender (pairs with Girard) on a far better team than Toronto. EJ at $3MM AAV for the next three years would be a steal. But he’s got a limited NTC and may not want to play in Toronto. He’d be used as Riellys partner if he did waive and play top pair for TML.
He will be a bottom pairing level guy very soon. Dude is overpaid, has a long injury history and is getting older. Sure, we can debate if he is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman.

However, the proposal was Nylander and the Leafs 1st for EJ and a late pick. That is just an outrageously bad offer.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bozak, Tavares, and Matthews all had career years playing with Mitch. He's elevated all of their games when on the ice, as with anyone who he plays with.

Dont confuse playing and elevating good players, with needing good players.

Marner drives play as much if not more than any player on the team.

I dont watch enough Calgary games, but your assessment of marner is off.

Matt Moulsen/Kyle Okposo all had career years playing with Tavares. Spare me the Marner drives the line BS.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He will be a bottom pairing level guy very soon. Dude is overpaid, has a long injury history and is getting older. Sure, we can debate if he is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman.

However, the proposal was Nylander and the Leafs 1st for EJ and a late pick. That is just an outrageously bad offer.
I believe the proposal I saw was EJ retained at $3mm and an Avs 2020 1st for Nylander. EJ is 32. He’s not 37. His contract will end when he’s 35. He does have some injury history but played the full season in 2019-20 so he’s healthy right now and has been for a year. If he’s playing 20 minutes a game for the Avs, whom have a better D core than TML from top to bottom, he’d easily play top minutes for TML. Only Rielly is a better player and EJ is far more able as a defender. Good skater, good size. Just not much of an offense first guy. Given all your talent at forward, you’ll still get your goals up there. And have Robertson ready to take a key role as well as guys like Johnsson to bring back into the fold at winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad