Sportsnet: Brian Burke- “It’s time for William Nylander to move”

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
can Nylander play center at all? If so D'Angelo, Georgiev and Carolina's 1st for Nylander

Nylander played C for 1.5 games against Columbus and looked pretty good. Give him a couple big boy wins with motors and he will be great. Excellent entry and exit stats, but not great awareness yet. Not sure if that will ever come.

DeAngelo is the furthest thing from a team need, unfortunately. Not to mention, I really didn't like his effort and attitude during the qualifier.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
These Nylander for Prospect+picks proposals are laughable. If they decide to trade the 24-year-old Nylander, it will be centered around something that can help them in the now.
A lot of those offers are centered around signing Pietrangelo which makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Richard88

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
No, it's frustrated Leafs fans who are mad and don't know what to do.

Even then it's the 1% who just need to be heard.
I'm more than happy to keep them but I'm not more than happy going into next season with the same defense core. You have to give to get.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I recently proposed the 3-way trade below between Toronto/Anaheim/Colorado.

The general feedback in the trade proposal thread was that Leafs and Avs would do it, but that it was a bit short for Anaheim but workable as a starting point.

Toronto and Anaheim could obviously swing this trade themselves and cut Colorado out, but I think Anaheim would lean towards high-end prospects over Nylander given that they're rebuilding rather than competing during Nylander's contract (expiring in 2024).

:leafs :ducks :avs

TOR out: Nylander
TOR in: Manson + Rakell @$1.9m

ANA out: Manson + Rakell ($1.85m retained)
ANA in: Timmins, Kaut, 1st, Beaucage

COL out: Timmins, Kaut, 1st, Beaucage
COL in: Nylander

In terms of cap hits:

TOR out: $6.969m
TOR in: $4.1m + $1.9m = $6m
- Net saving of $1m capspace which allows them flexibility to resign their depth forwards (eg. Mikheyev).

ANA out: $6m
ANA in: 2 ELC's ($1.8m)
- Net saving $4.2m (Rakell's $1.85m retention also disappears in 2022).

COL out: 2 ELC's (not currently on the roster)
COL in: $6.969m
- Net spend of $6.969m which basically fills the capspace that is unused now so would fit well.

Reactions: malcb33

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If Marner was available I’d trade anyone and anything on the Kings for him besides Doughty . Multiple pieces involved young players on ELC’s etc etc ... However i doubt Marner gets traded because he is going to be one of the best players in the NHL for the next decade plus .

However if Nylander is available which he might be now idk but what would it take from a Kings perspective to get it done ?

The Leafs need physical defensemen, defensively responsible, who can make the first pass up to their forwards.

As many as possible and preferably on the right side (at least 2 of them)

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I’d love him in Colorado but I really don’t think they’d have what Toronto are looking for. Timmins is an absolute stud of a RHD prospect and has the whole Dubas/Keefe connection but I don’t think he’s proven enough to be the main defensive piece going back for Nylander.
Timmins might be a little bit on the raw side still, but he's certainly NHL-ready and the benefit of having a RHD on an ELC who may be capable of top 4 minutes could outweigh the benefit of a straight swap for a more expensive RHD.

It's tough. I don't think he is in a 70-15-15 package, but I could see it in a 50-30-20.
The main problem is redundancy with Liljegren. Put's us in a tricky situation of having to break in two rookie D on the right + Sandin over the next two seasons. If they can pull it off it's a home run swing, and it does give excess trade capital as a backup, but it muddies the waters a bit.
It's a fair concern to have with that many rookie Dmen, but it's not too indifferent from Colorado's situation where we've broken in Makar, Girard, and Graves (essentially an NHL rookie despite his age), and also looking to break in Byram and Timmins next season. If they're good enough then age doesn't really matter.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wonder if Leafs/Avs would do Marner for Byram straight up?

We don't have the cap for Marner. And everyone has seen what a team can do with a top tier first pairing, thats what Avs fans hope for in Byram-Makar - 25 minutes a night.
The only way Marner to Colorado would even be remotely feasible is if Toronto retains around $2m. And even then it's probably ill advised to have two wingers making $9m+ along with Landeskog who'll command around $8m. That sort of cap distribution just isn't a smart way to build a roster. Especially when we'd also be moving out an ELC Dman who would undoubtedly be key to making the cap work with that many big contracts on the roster.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
These Nylander for Prospect+picks proposals are laughable. If they decide to trade the 24-year-old Nylander, it will be centered around something that can help them in the now.
You realize those futures can be traded for help too right? Not to mention the cap savings that can be spent elsewhere.
A lot of those offers are centered around signing Pietrangelo which makes perfect sense.
The Colorado offers involving Timmins++ are indeed based around Toronto possibly finding another way to acquire a top RHD, like Pietrangelo for example.

Pietrangelo + (huge futures package for Nylander) <----- vs -----> Nylander

Easy choice...

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Marner’s AAV is too much.

Avs should do something around Erik Johnson if they traded for Marner. But it’s really far fetched. Who has 11mm in cap space for one player in 2020?
Toronto would be dumb to trade Nylander for EJ. He fits the profile of what they need, but his age makes him a bad fit.

EJ also has a 11-team NTC and I'd wager that the Canadian teams would all be on that list. He's also one of the leaders in the lockerroom who endured the teams bad years and a workhorse defensively so I doubt Sakic will want to entertain moving him.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I'd rather trade Marner. We wouldn't get as good a player in return and I know that's something you try not to do, I just don't like the contract

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The leafs aren't giving players away. Hf is hilarious. Every time a team gets bounced or fails to reach their goals everyone and their grandmother comes on here and offers crap for said teams core players. If the leafs cant find a deal that works they wont be trading part of their core for scraps or players who don't fit what they need.
Does that irritate you, because leaf fans on HF have been doing this since I joined the board over a decade ago

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Colorado offers involving Timmins++ are indeed based around Toronto possibly finding another way to acquire a top RHD, like Pietrangelo for example.

Pietrangelo + (huge futures package for Nylander) <----- vs -----> Nylander

Easy choice...

I’ve heard some Colorado fans throw out names like Bowen Byram and Martin Kaut as well. As enticing as that would be I’m kind of torn on the idea of helping Colorado out specifically.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Does that irritate you, because leaf fans on HF have been doing this since I joined the board over a decade ago
If you actually read my post I was talking about all teams in this scenario not just the leafs. I don't have a persecution complex in regards to my team so try reading carefully next time.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It would be tough to lose two quality ELC's but I think that's a trade Colorado would have to accept. We'd need to have a solution for RHD though via another trade/signing.

Why, exactly, would Colorado have to accept? If we trade for him, we create a problem we need to solve. What specifically does Nylander bring to our team that we desperately need right now to the point that we're giving away pieces we're going to need to keep our window open longer than 3-4 years? If we don't trade for him, we're still the highest scoring team in the Western Conference, even with all the injuries we had this season.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Why, exactly, would Colorado have to accept? If we trade for him, we create a problem we need to solve. What specifically does Nylander bring to our team that we desperately need right now to the point that we're giving away pieces we're going to need to keep our window open longer than 3-4 years? If we don't trade for him, we're still the highest scoring team in the Western Conference, even with all the injuries we had this season.
Maybe "have to" was a bit strong. But my point was that it would be a good deal to get a 1st line winger for those pieces.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you actually read my post I was talking about all teams in this scenario not just the leafs. I don't have a persecution complex in regards to my team so try reading carefully next time.
If you read my post I’m saying this has been happening with one fan base for over a decade. Try reading carefully next time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad