Sportsnet: Brian Burke- “It’s time for William Nylander to move”

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Maybe "have to" was a bit strong. But my point was that it would be a good deal to get a 1st line winger for those pieces.

If we actually needed a 1st line winger, I agree that this would be a good trade. I just don't see the need for another 1st line winger, and would much rather keep the assets that will give us a much better chance to reload in 3-4 years and keep our window open longer.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
NJ could easily absorb Nylander's entire contract, but they don't have a ton to offer in terms of defensive help. Severson is not good defensively and I can't imagine they'd want Subban, even at half price.

NJ could be a strong candidate if they want futures back to free up money for UFA

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Toronto would be dumb to trade Nylander for EJ. He fits the profile of what they need, but his age makes him a bad fit.

EJ also has a 11-team NTC and I'd wager that the Canadian teams would all be on that list. He's also one of the leaders in the lockerroom who endured the teams bad years and a workhorse defensively so I doubt Sakic will want to entertain moving him.
You’re probably right but this is not exactly the real world. I keep telling people they’re insane to think a Tyler Johnson or Groude would waive their full NTC this off season and move during C19. And I’m right. But if it could happen, this trade would be amazing for the Avs.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I dont get it why Burke hates Nylander, he is not the biggest problem. Is he still salty cuz Leafs drafted him? Im sorry Burke, but Ritchie aint gonna do a jack shit different anyway.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
from Dobber:

"William NylanderHis four points in five games are a little misleading, because he disappeared for long stretches. And when the coach felt he was forced to stack his top line, Nylander was unable to anchor a second line on his own. Two of his three ES points were with the goalie pulled, while his other point was with John Tavares. When he lined up without Tavares or Auston Matthews, he wasn't productive. It's a good thing the Leafs have two elite centers, as it makes it extremely likely that Nylander will always have that top linemate that he needs in order to produce well."

This is silly. A 2 game sample size does not prove a guy can't produce away from other good players

Same for critiquing him for those late game ES points: as if it's apparently a bad thing he produces when the team needs him to...

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I agree with Torts, most of the Toronto media pundits aren't nearly as smart as they think they are. Especially Burke.. why should I trust the opinion of a guy who built such great teams in Toronto we couldn't ever make the playoffs and iced teams with Colton Orr, Fraser McLaren and Mark Fraser... at the same time!

So there's your grit and fighting and yet never won anything and did far worse than Dubas/Shanny/Babcock (first few years) run teams.

Not saying the Leafs are perfect and don't need change, obviously things need to be adjusted but Burke can kick the rocks in his head.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Read through 4 pages, just talked about how we can't get a top end defenseman for Nylander minus the offer of Rackell+Manson which was respectable.

Defenseman always shake loose. HF says they're never available but off-season comes and guys get moved you wouldn't have expected.

Al Belin

Aug 12, 2020
Where's he gonna go? who has the cap space?

There were rumors of the Leafs being linked to Subban before Nashville traded him to NJ. Understanding that his value is down since that point, what about a package around Subban with some % retained (he now only has 2 years left) and one of the Devils '20 first round picks?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
There were rumors of the Leafs being linked to Subban before Nashville traded him to NJ. Understanding that his value is down since that point, what about a package around Subban with some % retained (he now only has 2 years left) and one of the Devils '20 first round picks?
Subban is a shell of his former self. Leafs wont trade a high end forward for a broken down rd and a late pick.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
from Dobber:

"William NylanderHis four points in five games are a little misleading, because he disappeared for long stretches. And when the coach felt he was forced to stack his top line, Nylander was unable to anchor a second line on his own. Two of his three ES points were with the goalie pulled, while his other point was with John Tavares. When he lined up without Tavares or Auston Matthews, he wasn't productive. It's a good thing the Leafs have two elite centers, as it makes it extremely likely that Nylander will always have that top linemate that he needs in order to produce well."

So...one of our top players only produced when playing with our number one and number two centers and that means he’s not a number one winger? He also scored timely goals late in regulation so those shouldn’t count either. Finally when the leafs played him with two third liners at a position he hasn’t played regularly all season, he didn’t produce like a first liner either. That’s quite quite the hot take.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
The Leafs need physical defensemen, defensively responsible, who can make the first pass up to their forwards.

As many as possible and preferably on the right side (at least 2 of them)

Would a package of

Sean Walker (Developing nicely showed flashes of top 4 potential in his first year and has untapped offensive potential which he showed all while playing solid D for some time . (Had some stretches of inconsistent play but that’s to be expected with a rookie Dman.

Akil Thomas (I’m hesitant to move him because I feel as though it’s inevitable that he transitions to wing and it’s possible for him to put up Nylander type numbers . Guess we will see

48th overall pick

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad