Sportsnet: Brian Burke- “It’s time for William Nylander to move”

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would NYR trade Trouba?
can't.
he has NMC, won't waive.

Nylander has 4 years of term. Manson has 2. In 2 years, the Leafs will be staring at the choice of Manson walking or having to give a soon to be 31 year old (early Oct. 2022) a contract extension. Anaheim at that time, meanwhile, will enjoy another 2 years of Nylander at the peak of his career value. Toronto bears the burden of the risk in that swap.

Not a Leafs fan, but if I were, I'd be really annoyed with something like that when there was so much smoke around Nylander's RFA rights and ~5.5 years of an early mid-20s Pesce 2 years ago.

Another reason the Buch-Deangelo-Geo deal makes sense.
Age matches up.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
2 years is much bigger window than I think you meant, though last season feels so long ago these days. Dumba was at a 30 goal, 60 pt pace for nearly half the season until your boy fought him. Hasn’t been the same player since.

Fair enough. I was actually at that game when it happened. Just a bad accident really. Looked harmless. I agree he doesn’t seem to be the same. Just doesn’t seem to have that same threat offensively.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Fair enough. I was actually at that game when it happened. Just a bad accident really. Looked harmless. I agree he doesn’t seem to be the same. Just doesn’t seem to have that same threat offensively.
I was there too. He doesn’t even try to do anything offensively. It’s too bad. He was a bright young defenseman for us.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I was there too. He doesn’t even try to do anything offensively. It’s too bad. He was a bright young defenseman for us.

Hopefully he turns it around for you guys and gets back to where he was. Fiala looks very good. Kaprizov looks promising. Dumba (his old self) would be beyond ideal with the core!

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Hopefully he turns it around for you guys and gets back to where he was. Fiala looks very good. Kaprizov looks promising. Dumba (his old self) would be beyond ideal with the core!
Eh. It’s a fine core but it’s nothing special. Like we’ve always had. We’re going to be stuck where we are until we have a stroke of good fortune. Hopefully we can get a very good center in the draft this year, but having gone through 20 drafts already with Mikko Koivu being the best center we’ve gotten, I know how this one ends.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Where's he gonna go? who has the cap space?

With a flat cap, trading Nylander for picks/prospects would be tougher than trading him for another current player.

Colorado is a great fit, as they can absorb Nylander's full cap hit without sending salary back, and also have plenty of good futures to choose from.

Ok. Great. Nylander for Bowen Byram. Straight hockey trade. No adds. No retention. Toronto gets a defender and cap space. Thank you for our second line winger for the next half decade.
Byram is probably a bit much. Timmins+ makes far more sense, especially for Toronto given their scarcity of two-way RHD's.

Leafs fans may hate him today but this Avs fan sees an guy that nets 30 goals+ a year each season for less than 7mm AAV. I’m interested and it sounds like Toronto is going to listen. But if it gets beyond ANYTHING beyond Byram alone, Deal is off the table. Pivot to UFA this summer and go after a Dadonov on a shorter term deal.
I'd rather do a package around Timmins+ rather than Byram. Nylander is far more valuable than Dadonov given his age, production, and the fact that he's signed to a good contract through his prime.
I definitely don't hate him, but his trade would definitely be a round peg / hole solution that would restructure the cap and send a culture changing wake up call in one stroke

How do you view Byram relative to other Avs assets? 1st/ Newhook /Kaut /Timmins etc?

Byram
Newhook
Timmins
Kaut
Bowers
2020 1st
Annunen
Ranta
Helleson
etc

Reactions: 4thline

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
There are a few problems with the theory of trading Nylander.

Let's start with the positives.

Nylander is immensely gifted with offensive capabilities, across the board.
His skating is shifty and has solid speed as well.
He is coming off a very good year in Toronto.

Lets talk about the negatives.

Nylander simply has had countless opportunities to shine in the playoffs, and continues to disappear.
I would not say he has been "Bad" I think "Fine" is more fair, but the issue is when teams get bigger and stronger, he struggles.
Nylander's contract while decent, A good playoff performance would make it extremely worth it.
And the biggest problem with trading him: Marner and Matthews simply as better players and would be worth significantly more.
Nylander would not get the leafs a #1 Defender, while Marner might, and Matthews absolutely would.

I'm no Nylander fan by a long shot; but you need to get your facts straight. Nylander had 4 points in 5 playoff games this year; 2 goals and 2 assists. Far from a no show.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d love him in Colorado but I really don’t think they’d have what Toronto are looking for. Timmins is an absolute stud of a RHD prospect and has the whole Dubas/Keefe connection but I don’t think he’s proven enough to be the main defensive piece going back for Nylander.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I’d love him in Colorado but I really don’t think they’d have what Toronto are looking for. Timmins is an absolute stud of a RHD prospect and has the whole Dubas/Keefe connection but I don’t think he’s proven enough to be the main defensive piece going back for Nylander.

It's tough. I don't think he is in a 70-15-15 package, but I could see it in a 50-30-20.
The main problem is redundancy with Liljegren. Put's us in a tricky situation of having to break in two rookie D on the right + Sandin over the next two seasons. If they can pull it off it's a home run swing, and it does give excess trade capital as a backup, but it muddies the waters a bit.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Did you forget what Marner is getting paid? Most teams don't want that, and neither should the Leafs. I think Anaheim is one of the few teams where Marner at $11m is doable.

Actually, Marners contract and how it is structured would fit Anaheim very well. The Ducks are not a cap team, and the 10.9 million cap hit on Marner is not in real dollars. The actual dollar amount is lower, as the Leafs have already paid out significant dollars on his contract. The same cane be said about Nylander and his 6.9 cap hit. Its much lower in real dollars. That being said, this would certainly be a factor in any trade involving either player.

Reactions: majormajor

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Should've traded Nylander this season, now every team knows TML are even more desperate than last year. Singing Tavares was the correct move, but maybe a tad high? I predict the NYI will win a Cup before the Leafs.
Tavares took $2M less, including one less year than what NYI were offering him.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Actually, Marners contract and how it is structured would fit Anaheim very well. The Ducks are not a cap team, and the 10.9 million cap hit on Marner is not in real dollars. The actual dollar amount is lower, as the Leafs have already paid out significant dollars on his contract. The same cane be said about Nylander and his 6.9 cap hit. Its much lower in real dollars. That being said, this would certainly be a factor in any trade involving either player.

I agree Marner to the ducks makes some sense. But you're wrong. The ducks have been a cap team for most of the past decade - basically until last year if you take into account Kesler's insured contract. They won't be near the cap again until at least 2021-22 barring a trade or big signing of some sort.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I agree Marner to the ducks makes some sense. But you're wrong. The ducks have been a cap team for most of the past decade - basically until last year if you take into account Kesler's insured contract. They won't be near the cap again until at least 2021-22 barring a trade or big signing of some sort.

You can't deny that a guy making less then his cap is appealing to a team like the Ducks though.

I think Marner or Nylander make sense to the Ducks. If it can be around Manson and Rakell for Marner or Manson+ for Nylander I would be interested.
No major futures should be going anywhere from the Ducks though.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Should've traded Nylander this season, now every team knows TML are even more desperate than last year. Singing Tavares was the correct move, but maybe a tad high? I predict the NYI will win a Cup before the Leafs.

Nylander had a fantastic year this year. Not sure we'd be even sniffing the playoffs if it was not for him.

Not a lot of players mentioned here that I'd be inclined to trade him for.

I'd consider a deal around Ryan Pulock though. He fits a need. It was his dying brother's wish that he'd play for the Leafs. Let's make that happen.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nylander had a fantastic year this year. Not sure we'd be even sniffing the playoffs if it was not for him.

Not a lot of players mentioned here that I'd be inclined to trade him for.

I'd consider a deal around Ryan Pulock though. He fits a need. It was his dying brother's wish that he'd play for the Leafs. Let's make that happen.

Not a chance the Islanders deal Pulock.

While Larsson for Hall looks really bad considering how Larsson never lived up to his potential, you can tell that good dmen (playing a top pairing role on a good team) are very difficult to get in a trade, especially for a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad