Line Combos: Brière on the fourth

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
DD and Briere have been about equally bad. It's a shame DD will never get this treatment, even with a logjam at C.

I can't be the only one to think about this. It fixes the DD, Briere & size down the middle problem!

DDBriere.jpg

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
We could have kept a proven 25 goal producing forward in Michael Ryder and this is what we ended up with as a replacement? It was extremely dumb to take a declining little guy, we should have kept Ryder.

We could have kept power forward eric cole and not have to juggle lines to protect a clown car full of midgets.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We could have kept power forward eric cole and not have to juggle lines to protect a clown car full of midgets.

That's what annoys me the most. We pretty much switched Cole for Briere.
Now, maybe there was more to it with Cole, but from the outside looking in, it just looks bad.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
That's what annoys me the most. We pretty much switched Cole for Briere.
Now, maybe there was more to it with Cole, but from the outside looking in, it just looks bad.

Lol what? When we traded Cole everybody was happy with the trade, now we're gonna act like this was a bad move?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lol what? When we traded Cole everybody was happy with the trade, now we're gonna act like this was a bad move?

I guess that the idea was that it was going to be great move if we'd save the money and/or replace it with something better or more appropriate.....We replaced it with Brière making the move, just about the 2nd round pick now. Still a good move based on who we got. Doesn't fix the immediate needs though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Therrien is doing the best he can with a bad situation.

1) Neither DD or Briere deserve to be on one of the two top lines right now.
2) You can't play DD with Briere, because then their line is simply too small and too soft.
3) DD is at his best in the middle between two big wingers.
4) Scratching DD and/or Briere this early in the season would likely get the Quebec media up in arms. The team doesn't need that sort of distraction.

Add this altogether, and Therrien is probably taking the best approach he can - DD between Bourque and Prust on the third line, Briere on the fourth.

It sucks, because it means we don't have anything like a good energy/crash line. But at least DD/Bourque/Prust looked decent together, and the 4th line is just the 4th line.

Good news here is that Therrien sees what we're seeing, and realizes that DD and Briere have been terribly ineffective so far this season. He's making the best Top 2 lines he can, which is good.

The other thing is that demoting DD after his lone decent game of the season doesn't exactly send the good message either.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I guess that the idea was that it was going to be great move if we'd save the money and/or replace it with something better or more appropriate.....We replaced it with Brière making the move, just about the 2nd round pick now. Still a good move based on who we got. Doesn't fix the immediate needs though.

Actually... Connor "Coco" Crisp is that player.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Yes, it was good based on the belief we were going to use the extra cap space appropriately. Now that we know we didn't, it kinda makes it worse.

It's all about the pick as WS said. But for our current team, it's just bad. It didn't help us at all. I actually would have preferred nobody over signing Briere, at least it could have given us some wiggle room for youngsters, and we'd have an extra 4M for in season adjustments or next summer.

It's not so much the issue of moving Cole, it's more about getting Briere. That made no sense.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Yes, it was good based on the belief we were going to use the extra cap space appropriately. Now that we know we didn't, it kinda makes it worse.

It's all about the pick as WS said. But for our current team, it's just bad. It didn't help us at all. I actually would have preferred nobody over signing Briere, at least it could have given us some wiggle room for youngsters, and we'd have an extra 4M for in season adjustments or next summer.

It's not so much the issue of moving Cole, it's more about getting Briere. That made no sense.

I see, I misinterpreted what you meant, I agree with with everything you wrote in that post.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Between Briere at 4 million, Cole at 4.5 million, and Ryder at 3.5 million, I think that Briere is my last choice.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Between Briere at 4 million, Cole at 4.5 million, and Ryder at 3.5 million, I think that Briere is my last choice.

I know you're saying that as if we had to choose one.
My point is that he would never make my list. Nobody would be my last option.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Looks pretty good.
Imagine these lines :

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
Pacioretty –Plekanec– POWER FRWD
Bourque – DECCENT-GOOD CENTER– Prust
Moen – Bournival – Parros

NUMBER 2 D– Subban
Gorges – Emelin
Tinordi – Beaulieu

This roster is EASILY cup contender.

You remove Markov with Subban asking for a #2 d... He is exactly that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The organization is now taking the best French player available following the same pattern they use to pick a coach.
I don't want to believe this but the Briere signing went against all common sense. What other reason can there be on this one?

Then again, we did sign Samsonov so...

I think there's a smurf quota that we have to meet.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
Really disappointed by his speed, or lack thereof. I thought Briere would be much faster, as small players usually are.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Therrien is doing the best he can with a bad situation.

1) Neither DD or Briere deserve to be on one of the two top lines right now.
2) You can't play DD with Briere, because then their line is simply too small and too soft.
3) DD is at his best in the middle between two big wingers.
4) Scratching DD and/or Briere this early in the season would likely get the Quebec media up in arms. The team doesn't need that sort of distraction.

Add this altogether, and Therrien is probably taking the best approach he can - DD between Bourque and Prust on the third line, Briere on the fourth.

It sucks, because it means we don't have anything like a good energy/crash line. But at least DD/Bourque/Prust looked decent together, and the 4th line is just the 4th line.

Good news here is that Therrien sees what we're seeing, and realizes that DD and Briere have been terribly ineffective so far this season. He's making the best Top 2 lines he can, which is good.

Agreed, he's making a good job with that.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Apparently...these were the lines at Oct.14 practice (so we have 2 TWO-WAY lines now?...the Pleks and Eller lines? two-way...that line that goes against the best opposing line,etc..... maybe two is better than one?!):

Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gallagher
Pacioretty – Eller – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Prust
Moen – Bournival – Brière
*White était l’attaquant en trop.
(White was extra attacker...13th forward).

Markov – Subban
Gorges – Diaz
Bouillon – Beaulieu (Tinordi)

Briere in interview (below in french) seemed to be very accepting about the demotion to the 4th line since he said other lines were clicking and with Gionta coming back it's only normal,etc. But like someone else wrote I'd prefer seeing Briere centering Prust and Bourque, but DD has the longer contract with us!! maybe trying to boost his trade value?!, but also...DD was playing well with Bourque and Prust.

''Brière a avoué que ce n’était pas une surprise pour lui : «Il y a que notre trio qui n’a pas bien joué à Vancouver contre les Canucks. Avec le retour de Gionta, je m’attendais à ce genre de scénario.»

«Ce n’est pas la fin du monde», a ajouté le principal intéressé.''

http://25stanley.com/

Swap DD and Brière and I actually like those lines. That's at least 4 big bodies, 5 if you count Galchenyuk, on the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad