Line Combos: Brière on the fourth

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
And this is why getting Briere was Pejorative Slured if you keep DD around.............

Briere move the puck so much better than DD. Hes not a ****ing RWinger this is absurd.

Play him at his natural position and cut David.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
How is that possible? Doesn't half the cap hit survive the buyout (so 2 million in his case)?

As I said, Phillie's buyout have something to do with it, I just don't understand the rules, he would probably be the first one on two simultenuous buyouts, that's quite an achievement :handclap:

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
so why do they insist on not playing him center?

imagine:

Eller
Plek
Galchenyyk
Brière

no bad

Not a Fish

May 7, 2012
San Diego
good...he should be sitting in the ****ing pressbox....this is one step closer to that....so dissapointed with him.

Why? It’s not his fault. At 37 years of age he's doing the best he can. Unfortunately, he can no longer perform like he did 3 or 4 years ago.
I have full confidence in Bergevin and am of the opinion that he and his staff are doing a fine job. However, in the case of Briere, the pro scouting department (Dudley?) failed miserably. It looks like the team got rid of one slightly younger under performing player (Gomez) and replaced him with another. Yes the season is still young and Briere may suddenly start performing like a top 6 forward, but I just don’t see it happening.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Ugg after those buyouts we jump back into the ring of fail with these two terrible contracts. Did he seriously get handed the flame at the start of the year? How low can this franchise fall? No dignity, like the drunk girl at the bar the habs will spread em for any body with a pulse.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Ugg after those buyouts we jump back into the ring of fail with these two terrible contracts. Did he seriously get handed the flame at the start of the year? How low can this franchise fall? No dignity, like the drunk girl at the bar the habs will spread em for any body with a pulse.

Habs are the only team to lose to the Flames, the Caps were roughly 10 mintues away form losing 4-1 to them too.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Why? It’s not his fault. At 37 years of age he's doing the best he can. Unfortunately, he can no longer perform like he did 3 or 4 years ago.
I have full confidence in Bergevin and am of the opinion that he and his staff are doing a fine job. However, in the case of Briere, the pro scouting department (Dudley?) failed miserably. It looks like the team got rid of one slightly younger under performing player (Gomez) and replaced him with another. Yes the season is still young and Briere may suddenly start performing like a top 6 forward, but I just don’t see it happening.

Brière doesn't have to perform like a top 6 player. As long as he produces like a top 9 player he'll be fine.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I checked on capgeek how much it would cost to buy out Brière at the end of the season and the cap hit would be 333,333$ for two years, not bad. I was expecting a million more but I think it has something to do with the actual Flyers buyout.

Anyway, is he sucks all years, it should be quite cap friendly to tell him good riddance

I'd rather buy out DD for 1.17M and have Brière centering the 3rd line

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Apparently...these were the lines at Oct.14 practice (so we have 2 TWO-WAY lines now?...the Pleks and Eller lines? two-way...that line that goes against the best opposing line,etc..... maybe two is better than one?!):

Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gallagher
Pacioretty – Eller – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Prust
Moen РBournival РBri̬re
*White était l’attaquant en trop.
(White was extra attacker...13th forward).

Markov – Subban
Gorges – Diaz
Bouillon – Beaulieu (Tinordi)

Briere in interview (below in french) seemed to be very accepting about the demotion to the 4th line since he said other lines were clicking and with Gionta coming back it's only normal,etc. But like someone else wrote I'd prefer seeing Briere centering Prust and Bourque, but DD has the longer contract with us!! maybe trying to boost his trade value?!, but also...DD was playing well with Bourque and Prust.

''Brière a avoué que ce n’était pas une surprise pour lui : «Il y a que notre trio qui n’a pas bien joué à Vancouver contre les Canucks. Avec le retour de Gionta, je m’attendais à ce genre de scénario.»

«Ce n’est pas la fin du monde», a ajouté le principal intéressé.''

http://25stanley.com/

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I'd rather buy out DD for 1.17M and have Brière centering the 3rd line

I agree with all of you...and all of you offering these buyout numbers (buyout numbers seem low for DD, and especially for buying out Briere...good news!:naughty:).

BUT...it's a long season...injuries happen (I hope not, of course), so...a smart GM will be patient and not just buy out one or two players after only 5-6-7 games...I wouldn't, especially since we have 76-77 games left to play. First time since a long time we have good top 9 depth. (and trust me...I'm not defending DD or Briere!;)).

Right now DD and Briere (imo) are insurance players (backup players)
They have to wait their turn now to make it back to the top 6 since the others are giving more effort and/or just having much more success (clicking).

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Apparently...these were the lines at Oct.14 practice (so we have 2 TWO-WAY lines now?...the Pleks and Eller lines? two-way...that line that goes against the best opposing line,etc..... maybe two is better than one?!):

Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gallagher
Pacioretty – Eller – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Prust
Moen – Bournival – Brière
*White était l’attaquant en trop.
(White was extra attacker...13th forward).

Markov – Subban
Gorges – Diaz
Bouillon – Beaulieu (Tinordi)
Looks pretty good.
Imagine these lines :

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
Pacioretty –Plekanec– POWER FRWD
Bourque – DECCENT-GOOD CENTER– Prust
Moen – Bournival – Parros

NUMBER 2 D– Subban
Gorges – Emelin
Tinordi – Beaulieu

This roster is EASILY cup contender.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
This signing is starting to look like it has disaster written all over it. Kind of like another Gomez, though Gomez at least produced at first. Not only is Brière not producing, he's not even getting close.

Anyway, hopefully he finds a way to figure it out. Still sour about him passing on us in his prime and now all of a sudden he's living his dream. BS.

What does this guy have to prove anyway at this point, looks like he's awestruck or something and too comfortable right now. Happy about Therrien's move.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Therrien is doing the best he can with a bad situation.

1) Neither DD or Briere deserve to be on one of the two top lines right now.
2) You can't play DD with Briere, because then their line is simply too small and too soft.
3) DD is at his best in the middle between two big wingers.
4) Scratching DD and/or Briere this early in the season would likely get the Quebec media up in arms. The team doesn't need that sort of distraction.

Add this altogether, and Therrien is probably taking the best approach he can - DD between Bourque and Prust on the third line, Briere on the fourth.

It sucks, because it means we don't have anything like a good energy/crash line. But at least DD/Bourque/Prust looked decent together, and the 4th line is just the 4th line.

Good news here is that Therrien sees what we're seeing, and realizes that DD and Briere have been terribly ineffective so far this season. He's making the best Top 2 lines he can, which is good.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We are already 1/2 pregnant with one washed up ex-flyer why not go all-in?

DD on waivers and sign Briere's ex teammate Gagne for a mill and hope (pray, maybe sacrifice a small farm animal...) they find some chemistry

New Lines

Chucky/Eller/Gallagher
Pacs/Pleks/Gio
Gagne/Briere/Bourque
Moen/White/Prust

Seriously how much worse could it be?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I've missed most of the games so far due to work but whenever I watch Briere doesn't look bad at all. Makes smart decisions with the puck. Caught the end of the Edmonton game where he was out at the end and he was forechecking really well.

Has he really been awful or is it more of a case that he just needs to play better?

I agree that he should be tried at center. All I kept hearing from Flyer fans was that he's not a winger.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Therrien is doing the best he can with a bad situation.

1) Neither DD or Briere deserve to be on one of the two top lines right now.
2) You can't play DD with Briere, because then their line is simply too small and too soft.
3) DD is at his best in the middle between two big wingers.
4) Scratching DD and/or Briere this early in the season would likely get the Quebec media up in arms. The team doesn't need that sort of distraction.

Add this altogether, and Therrien is probably taking the best approach he can - DD between Bourque and Prust on the third line, Briere on the fourth.

It sucks, because it means we don't have anything like a good energy/crash line. But at least DD/Bourque/Prust looked decent together, and the 4th line is just the 4th line.

Good news here is that Therrien sees what we're seeing, and realizes that DD and Briere have been terribly ineffective so far this season. He's making the best Top 2 lines he can, which is good.

Who cares about the media??
If our management takes their decision based on how the media will react, we're in trouble.

DD has been worse than DB, and one of them isn't playing at its natural position. Putting Danny on the 4th line is not only useless for him, but we're back to having a random 4th line. Maybe he'll create things with Bournival, but 4M on the 4th line, not a great move.

Anyways, this was such a foreseeable scenario. I have no freaking clue what Bergevin was thinking in going after Briere (unless he moves DD in the not so distant future). It was such a bad fit. It seemed like a desperate move but we weren't in a position of despair.

This signing is starting to look like it has disaster written all over it. Kind of like another Gomez, though Gomez at least produced at first. Not only is Brière not producing, he's not even getting close.

Anyway, hopefully he finds a way to figure it out. Still sour about him passing on us in his prime and now all of a sudden he's living his dream. BS.

What does this guy have to prove anyway at this point, looks like he's awestruck or something and too comfortable right now. Happy about Therrien's move.

It's not starting to look like it, it has been one since Bergevin announced the deal.
We didn't really need a stop gap player. But if MB insisted on having one for a short term (1-2years) then we certainly didn't need a short smurf that needs sheltering who just got bought out because he's declined to the point of uselessness.
You had Jagr, another veteran, except he's big, he's very talented, he had a productive year, and is one of the most respected players to ever play the game, he also has cups, and is a Future HoF. He also agreed to a 1y deal to go play in NJ at 4M. But no, let's go with the french guy.
Same thing as him extending Bouillon midway through the half year.

This signing is more of a sign of how MB decided to work, and I didn't like it. Hopefully it was a one time thing and he'll learn from his mistake. Otherwise, I'm not super confident in our management.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We could have kept a proven 25 goal producing forward in Michael Ryder and this is what we ended up with as a replacement? It was extremely dumb to take a declining little guy, we should have kept Ryder.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but what if we buy out DD NEXT year...what would be his cap hit and how long would it be on there for?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but what if we buy out DD NEXT year...what would be his cap hit and how long would it be on there for?

Not 100% sure but the comments posted in this thread around 6:19pm (post #38) get into some buyout numbers... I'm not sure myself how some here calculate the buyout numbers...they seem pretty low for DD and Briere! so there is a way out in case!! but I'd wait since it's a long season...with injuries and all and constant line changes...players getting HOT or COLD,etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad