Line Combos: Brière on the fourth

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by De Montreal, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Avengers*

Avengers* Guest

I'm happy this scrub is being demoted. what is the point to sign a 36 year old concussion ridden declining player?

hopefully next on the list is midget desharnais but again he might produce on the third line with bourque and prust making space for him...

Last edited by moderator : Oct 15, 2013
  2. Church

Church The last lion

Project manager
    Gallagher is our only midget of value in this team.

3. Natey

Natey #koko

I don't always agree with you, however, I love these lines.

Moen-Bournival-Prust as the 4th.

4. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

Not a fan overall of your lines but it's worth noting that if Desharnais does move to wing it has to be LW. It's way more important for a passer to be on his proper side than a shooter.

5. Native

Native Registered User

Home Page:
    at this early point in the season, i'm not too worried about briere. however, i do believe he will respond to being called out in such a manner. this is montreal. he'll learn fast that you can't take it easy and fly under the radar.

he just has to show the drive, the urgency and willingness to win.

briere seems to have a good attitude, took things in stride but well aware that he's not cutting it so far. we need him to step up, show veteran leadership and accountability.

6. TroyM

TroyM Registered User

Yep, good move by MT and good response by Briere so far. Now just see what happens next. Words are one thing, looking forward to seeing him back it up. We know Gomer always had the right thing to say too, haha, though I believe he gave it his all and just had nothing to give. Just hoping and assuming the case will be different with Briere. No reason to assume otherwise yet, will be real interesting to see how his tenure with the Habs plays out though in the end. If we make the playoffs maybe we'll all be huge fans very quickly, that'd be very welcome.

7. Native

Native Registered User

Home Page:
    agreed. words only take you so far. have to walk the walk. gomer kinda just gave up, lossed his drive and wasn't doing the things that gave him success in the past.

briere has more to give than gomer. i do believe line combos are critical to his success. much like DD, briere needs some linemates with size, speed and skill for him to be successful. however, those attributes are limited on our team, and something that has hindered our ability to endure in the long run.

8. Video Coach

Video Coach Registered User

He won't stay there for long...

My ideal lines...

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gionta
    Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
    Bourque - Desharnais - Briere
    Prust - White - Moen
    Bournival

The top line can play in all 3 zones, gives Plekanec great scoring options, gives Galchenyuk a chance to learn from a complete player like Plekanec, and keeps the chemistry Gionta and Plekanec have.

The second line gives Pacioretty a big centre, Eller capable scorers, and an aggressive forecheck.

The 3rd line is there for supplementary offense, hopefully taking advantage of favourable matchups.

The 4th is there for grit, energy, physicality and the odd goal.

Bournival could sub in for White or Moen, depending on the opponent.

Markov - Subban
    Gorges - Dias
    Tinordi - Boullion
    Pateryn

Boy, are we light back there. We all want Tinordi to be ready for that 2nd pairing but it seems he isn't quite yet. Once Emelin and Murray are back, things look a lot better though...

Gorges - Subban
    Markov - Emelin
    Tinordi - Dias
    Murray
    Boullion

The bottom pair would rotate based on opponent. But either way, we're not exactly built for a long run with this d corps.

Forwards are looking much better, but we still lack at least one more banger and crasher who can skate, score and reliably play in the top 9. We also have about 1-2 too many smallish forwards that don't do enough in the top 9.

9. Goldthorpe

Goldthorpe Meditating Guru

I would really like for Prust to play on the third with Desharnais. We have no injuries in our top-9 and there's no way it's going to be so all season long so I know my wishes will be answered.

10. rockjngo

rockjngo Registered User

There's nothing wrong with Dany Briere. The guy is 37 years old. Remember Gionta is 34, Markov is 34. Boullion is 37. We don't need Briere to score 30 goals. He was brought it for experience and leadership.