Line Combos: Brière on the fourth

Avengers*

I'm happy this scrub is being demoted. what is the point to sign a 36 year old concussion ridden declining player?

hopefully next on the list is midget desharnais but again he might produce on the third line with bourque and prust making space for him...

Last edited by a moderator:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't really like the lines right now...
For the best of the team, we need to get DD and Briere going....

That's $7.5M sitting on our bottom 6
In the interest of getting those guys going:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

This always were a good shutdown line...able to bring some offensive
Not necessarely a 1st line here.

Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais

Two big guys with the small one. DD on the wing seems like a bad idea...
But if he were to be try on the wing, Eller would be the best centerman to
play with him cause he can take some of the physical load along the boards and
behind the net.

Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher

Briere on the wing....not working good. I bring him back at center with the kids
on a semi-sheltered all offensive line. I prefer Eller in the middle of those kids though! But Briere is an offensive center and would be better than DD IMO.

But in the end.....we are working around the problem.
We all talked about it all summer: Too much small players on our top 9

Now we see what the problem is....
I don't always agree with you, however, I love these lines.

Moen-Bournival-Prust as the 4th.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais

Two big guys with the small one. DD on the wing seems like a bad idea...
But if he were to be try on the wing, Eller would be the best centerman to
play with him cause he can take some of the physical load along the boards and
behind the net.

Not a fan overall of your lines but it's worth noting that if Desharnais does move to wing it has to be LW. It's way more important for a passer to be on his proper side than a shooter.

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
at this early point in the season, i'm not too worried about briere. however, i do believe he will respond to being called out in such a manner. this is montreal. he'll learn fast that you can't take it easy and fly under the radar.

he just has to show the drive, the urgency and willingness to win.

briere seems to have a good attitude, took things in stride but well aware that he's not cutting it so far. we need him to step up, show veteran leadership and accountability.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
at this early point in the season, i'm not too worried about briere. however, i do believe he will respond to being called out in such a manner. this is montreal. he'll learn fast that you can't take it easy and fly under the radar.

he just has to show the drive, the urgency and willingness to win.

briere seems to have a good attitude, took things in stride but well aware that he's not cutting it so far. we need him to step up, show veteran leadership and accountability.

Yep, good move by MT and good response by Briere so far. Now just see what happens next. Words are one thing, looking forward to seeing him back it up. We know Gomer always had the right thing to say too, haha, though I believe he gave it his all and just had nothing to give. Just hoping and assuming the case will be different with Briere. No reason to assume otherwise yet, will be real interesting to see how his tenure with the Habs plays out though in the end. If we make the playoffs maybe we'll all be huge fans very quickly, that'd be very welcome.

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
Yep, good move by MT and good response by Briere so far. Now just see what happens next. Words are one thing, looking forward to seeing him back it up. We know Gomer always had the right thing to say too, haha, though I believe he gave it his all and just had nothing to give. Just hoping and assuming the case will be different with Briere. No reason to assume otherwise yet, will be real interesting to see how his tenure with the Habs plays out though in the end. If we make the playoffs maybe we'll all be huge fans very quickly, that'd be very welcome.

agreed. words only take you so far. have to walk the walk. gomer kinda just gave up, lossed his drive and wasn't doing the things that gave him success in the past.

briere has more to give than gomer. i do believe line combos are critical to his success. much like DD, briere needs some linemates with size, speed and skill for him to be successful. however, those attributes are limited on our team, and something that has hindered our ability to endure in the long run.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
He won't stay there for long...

My ideal lines...

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
Bourque - Desharnais - Briere
Prust - White - Moen
Bournival

The top line can play in all 3 zones, gives Plekanec great scoring options, gives Galchenyuk a chance to learn from a complete player like Plekanec, and keeps the chemistry Gionta and Plekanec have.

The second line gives Pacioretty a big centre, Eller capable scorers, and an aggressive forecheck.

The 3rd line is there for supplementary offense, hopefully taking advantage of favourable matchups.

The 4th is there for grit, energy, physicality and the odd goal.

Bournival could sub in for White or Moen, depending on the opponent.

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Dias
Tinordi - Boullion
Pateryn

Boy, are we light back there. We all want Tinordi to be ready for that 2nd pairing but it seems he isn't quite yet. Once Emelin and Murray are back, things look a lot better though...

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Dias
Murray
Boullion

The bottom pair would rotate based on opponent. But either way, we're not exactly built for a long run with this d corps.

Forwards are looking much better, but we still lack at least one more banger and crasher who can skate, score and reliably play in the top 9. We also have about 1-2 too many smallish forwards that don't do enough in the top 9.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I would really like for Prust to play on the third with Desharnais. We have no injuries in our top-9 and there's no way it's going to be so all season long so I know my wishes will be answered.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
There's nothing wrong with Dany Briere. The guy is 37 years old. Remember Gionta is 34, Markov is 34. Boullion is 37. We don't need Briere to score 30 goals. He was brought it for experience and leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad