Line Combos: Brière on the fourth

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Apparently...these were the lines at Oct.14 practice (so we have 2 TWO-WAY lines now?...the Pleks and Eller lines? two-way...that line that goes against the best opposing line,etc..... maybe two is better than one?!):

Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gallagher
Pacioretty – Eller – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Prust
Moen – Bournival – Brière
*White était l’attaquant en trop.
(White was extra attacker...13th forward).

We have to build two lines specifically to shelter Briere and DD with our biggest guys. The babysitting lines.
Is there any real question any more about size in the nhl?

DDIHH

Oct 28, 2005
Agree.

Then DD-Briere-Gionta .... It's so ridiculously stupid and bad.... That it just might work. :laugh:

You play this line against Chara and he won't even notice there are forwards on the ice!

The stealth line.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
I would sit out Gionta and DD and my lines would be:
1.Kid line
2.PPP line
3.BBB line
4. Moen White Parros

Subban-Tinordi
Markov-Gorges
Beaulieu- Bouillon

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Letting Kostitsyn go was a mistake.

27 81 46
17 14 21
67 48 11
32 52 8

is way better than anything we can put together now. Kostitsyn and Eller were great together.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

27 81 46
17 14 21
67 48 11
32 52 8

is way better than anything we can put together now. Kostitsyn and Eller were great together.

Letting Kostitsyn go was possibly Gauthier's best move.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
If these lines stick, It will be pretty interesting.

Really want to see how well Pleks produces with the Gallys.
I really like Eller being with Pacioretty. As we've seen from the first few matches, Pacioretty/Briere have no chemistry together, they had to be split up. It's bad enough Desharnais wasn't doing much.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Patches-Eller-Gionta has some potential as a very solid two-way line. All three players are great in the defensive zone. Patches and Eller are plus possession players and great on the forecheck. Everyone knows Patches prefers to take shots from the slot and perimeters. Combining his shots with Gionta's skills and tenacity around the net should bear fruit.

Personally I'd rather see Briere on the 3rd and DD on the 4th, but DD did play a reasonably solid game vs Vancouver.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

27 81 46
17 14 21
67 48 11
32 52 8

Please, stop.

If you miss him, go watch some KHL.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't really like the lines right now...
For the best of the team, we need to get DD and Briere going....

That's $7.5M sitting on our bottom 6
In the interest of getting those guys going:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

This always were a good shutdown line...able to bring some offensive
Not necessarely a 1st line here.

Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais

Two big guys with the small one. DD on the wing seems like a bad idea...
But if he were to be try on the wing, Eller would be the best centerman to
play with him cause he can take some of the physical load along the boards and
behind the net.

Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher

Briere on the wing....not working good. I bring him back at center with the kids
on a semi-sheltered all offensive line. I prefer Eller in the middle of those kids though! But Briere is an offensive center and would be better than DD IMO.

But in the end.....we are working around the problem.
We all talked about it all summer: Too much small players on our top 9

Now we see what the problem is....

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher

I was just about to post this. Somebody said that the kids work with anybody so if anybody can get Briere going it's the kids. Gio-Plex-Bourque is a proven shutdown line so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If there are any ideas so stupid that it might work it would be this one. Or if the goal is to trade DD have him play with the kids until the deadline to raise his trade value lol.

On a more serious note, why is Bournival centering the 4th line over Briere? How long will it take MT to figure out that DB is not working on the wing?

And if Plex misses anymore open net feeds from Gally tonight I want EGG line back.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
And if Plex misses anymore open net feeds from Gally tonight I want EGG line back.

Once Pleks gets accustomed to their pace and creativity, it'll be a very dangerous line.

That backhand pass in the slot vs Vancouver was dirty, a Datsyukian feed. Only player who'd be expecting it and ready to bury it is Gallagher. I don't blame Plekanec for missing the net, I don't think ever he's played with a player as slick and creative as Galch.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Once Pleks gets accustomed to their pace and creativity, it'll be a very dangerous line.

That backhand pass in the slot vs Vancouver was dirty, a Datsyukian feed. Only player who'd be expecting it and ready to bury it is Gallagher. I don't blame Plekanec for missing the net, I don't think ever he's played with a player as slick and creative as Galch.

I like the Datsyukian comparison. When I saw that pass I was like whaaat how is that possible? That pass was so dirty I didn't have to poop for the rest of the day. I agree Pleks has played with scrubs for too long that he deserves a few games with the kids to raise his game to their level. It's going to be sick! The only problem is that the EGG line was already clicking so I didn't see a need to break them up.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Love the line combos, Just would love to see Desharnais in the stands replaced by White or Parros (when available)

Love Plekanec in a offensive line combo and would move Briere to the Centre and play Bournival on the wing.

Les trios à l'entraînement

Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Prust-Desharnais-Bourque

Moen-Bournival-Brière

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
I hope you guys realize that Briere transforms like a druid during the playoffs. That's pretty much the only reason why we got him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is RWing the top 2 lines in the post season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Love the line combos, Just would love to see Desharnais in the stands replaced by White or Parros (when available)

Love Plekanec in a offensive line combo and would move Briere to the Centre and play Bournival on the wing.

Les trios à l'entraînement

Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Prust-Desharnais-Bourque

Moen-Bournival-Brière

P - DD - RB should have been the 3rd line from the start.

Mynameismark*

Great. Replace energetic and tough legit 4th liners for lazy, small, soft and uninspired players like briere. Get rid of the trash such as him and DD.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Getting closer and closer to my ideal lineup. Don't like Gionta with Eller, though. Gionta needs to stay with Pleks.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Gio does provide defensive support and good speed to the Eller line, although he has little creativity and tends to make plays that kill whatever is going on offensively. Still better than Briere.

Also, this might actually light a fire under Briere and get Bournival his first point(s) of the season.

What's really good to see is that Therrien isn't blind to underperformers on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad